OT: Deshaun Watson officially wants out of Houston

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Cards would have been in the playoff this season with Kyler. It was coaching and injuries that kept us out, not the QB.

It all goes together. Kyler had a significant part in the team not making the playoffs, as well as the reasons you set forth. However, I still think Watson gets them there last year, he's simply a better QB right now.

It is a moot argument anyway, he ain't coming here. Hopefully, the new coaches can develop Kyler further and he can continue to progress.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It all goes together. Kyler had a significant part in the team not making the playoffs, as well as the reasons you set forth. However, I still think Watson gets them there last year, he's simply a better QB right now.

It is a moot argument anyway, he ain't coming here. Hopefully, the new coaches can develop Kyler further and he can continue to progress.
Kyler had a significant part???? Really?? If we had even an average interior OL, he wouldn't have had to run for his life all season. And only because of his insane ability to escape pressure, was he only sacked less than 30 times. If Watson was our QB this season, he would have been sacked over 50 times & this team maybe wins 5-6 games. Add a PATHETIC WR group, and it's crazy to put a "significant part of the blame" on Murray. Without Murray this season, this is a 3-4 win team at best.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kyler had a significant part???? Really?? If we had even an average interior OL, he wouldn't have had to run for his life all season. And only because of his insane ability to escape pressure, was he only sacked less than 30 times. If Watson was our QB this season, he would have been sacked over 50 times & this team maybe wins 5-6 games. Add a PATHETIC WR group, and it's crazy to put a "significant part of the blame" on Murray. Without Murray this season, this is a 3-4 win team at best.

OK. Guess we all see what we want to see. I'm good with sticking with Murray and I hope he continues to improve.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Probably Watson with a no trade clause?
Lol true. Not what I was getting at, but true. Take that outta the equation. Lawrence just starting a rookie contract with huge expectations or expensive but already proven awesome Watson?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol true. Not what I was getting at, but true. Take that outta the equation. Lawrence just starting a rookie contract with huge expectations or expensive but already proven awesome Watson?
A blockbuster trade won’t happen within the division.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
A blockbuster trade won’t happen within the division.
Agreed. That's why Indy doesn't make sense either. If I was Chicago, San Fran, or New Orleans...... I would be all over Houston.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Agreed. That's why Indy doesn't make sense either. If I was Chicago, San Fran, or New Orleans...... I would be all over Houston.
If Brees retires does that clear up enough cap space for New Orleans?? Because last I saw they were just about the worst for cap space this season

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
It'd be hilarious for him to go to the Bears at a very high price when they could've just drafted him instead of Trubisky.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
If Brees retires does that clear up enough cap space for New Orleans?? Because last I saw they were just about the worst for cap space this season
Not totally sure but I hold the opinion that the cap can be manipulated if you want to get something done.

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk Pro

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
A lot of you are putting way more blame on Kliff and giving Murray way more credit than is appropriate from what I saw this year.

For those of the "Kliff calls bad plays" crowd. Either Kyler isn't advanced enough to audible to other plays or he chose not to...neither of those is encouraging IMO.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
A lot of you are putting way more blame on Kliff and giving Murray way more credit than is appropriate from what I saw this year.

For those of the "Kliff calls bad plays" crowd. Either Kyler isn't advanced enough to audible to other plays or he chose not to...neither of those is encouraging IMO.
Do we even know if audibles and/or protection calls are built into the offense? And if there are audibles, and KM just doesn't know how to read the presnap defense... then whoever is coaching him sucks (KK).

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Do we even know if audibles and/or protection calls are built into the offense? And if there are audibles, and KM just doesn't know how to read the presnap defense... then whoever is coaching him sucks (KK).
Middle school offenses have audibles and Kliff has said Kyler has the ability to audible so I am guessing they are there. Also, my previous post is not intended to absolve Kliff of all responsibility, but top QBs everywhere make their coaches look good by getting out of bad plays and into good ones. It doesn't seem like Kyler is doing this to the degree he needs to if Kliff is the bad playcaller this board says he is.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The blame really doesn't 100% belong with Kyler or Kliff. IMO, the brunt of the blame is the interior of our OL & how inept our overall WR group was. And after the first 3 games, the D couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. How can you be critical of a 2nd year QB that threw for 4000 yards & accounted for 37 touchdowns & only had 12 interceptions.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The blame really doesn't 100% belong with Kyler or Kliff. IMO, the brunt of the blame is the interior of our OL & how inept our overall WR group was. And after the first 3 games, the D couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. How can you be critical of a 2nd year QB that threw for 4000 yards & accounted for 37 touchdowns & only had 12 interceptions.

Our 3rd down defensive efficiency in 2020 was 10th in the league and 30th in in 2019.

* 6th in the last 3 games of 2020

Our 3rd down conversion efficiency in 2020 was 22nd in the league and 23rd in 2019.

* 31st in the last 3 games of 2020

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Middle school offenses have audibles and Kliff has said Kyler has the ability to audible so I am guessing they are there. Also, my previous post is not intended to absolve Kliff of all responsibility, but top QBs everywhere make their coaches look good by getting out of bad plays and into good ones. It doesn't seem like Kyler is doing this to the degree he needs to if Kliff is the bad playcaller this board says he is.
Have you seen the route trees? This is a middle school offense. Couple that with almost no motion in the offense, and no designated hot routes...KM is kind of dealt a crappy hand. You have to believe that if KM was with a McVay/Reid/Shannahan type that he'd be lightyears ahead of where he is now...especially in terms of reading a defense and knowing what play to use to his advantage.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Have you seen the route trees? This is a middle school offense. Couple that with almost no motion in the offense, and no designated hot routes...KM is kind of dealt a crappy hand.

to Choppers point, i think you have to consider the possibility that the offense is simplified in order to produce faster reads / a cleaner head for K1. You can throw "why is Dhop always split left alone" into that bucket as well.

i wouldnt be surprised if K1 isnt reading / processing at the level of a Watson yet. I would shocked if he were. Second year, no live offseason --

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kliff runs 3 routes for Deandre Hopkins and lines him up to the left side of the field 90 percent of the time and people are still trying to absolve this man of responsibility.

Flatout ridiculous, but welcome to humanity.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
to Choppers point, i think you have to consider the possibility that the offense is simplified in order to produce faster reads / a cleaner head for K1. You can throw "why is Dhop always split left alone" into that bucket as well.

i wouldnt be surprised if K1 isnt reading / processing at the level of a Watson yet. I would shocked if he were. Second year, no live offseason --

How are you supposed to read the field when your primary wr routes are telegraphed by the defense, your second best wr is old and slow and the rest cant beat 1 on 1 coverage to save their lives?

BleedRed

Registered
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
We finally get a young franchise QB and now we want to trade him. Typical Cardinal fans. How about adding some more weapons around him or some decent play calling....

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We finally get a young franchise QB and now we want to trade him. Typical Cardinal fans. How about adding some more weapons around him or some decent play calling....
I believe Deshaun Watson is one of the five best QBs in the NFL. I have not seen anything to make me 100% confident Kyler Murray will ever be one of the five best QBs in the NFL. I understand if you feel differently, but it isn't a ridiculous concept. It has more to do with Watson than Murray. No one was advocating trading Murray for Stafford.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
We have a QBOF. If you want to make a trade, shoot for a #1 CB or top OG. Trading Murray for Watson isn’t much more than a lateral move, or a slight upgrade at best. IMO...

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe Deshaun Watson is one of the five best QBs in the NFL. I have not seen anything to make me 100% confident Kyler Murray will ever be one of the five best QBs in the NFL. I understand if you feel differently, but it isn't a ridiculous concept. It has more to do with Watson than Murray. No one was advocating trading Murray for Stafford.

He was just named the Pro Bowl MVP J/K LOL

As of right now, I don't think he's "the guy" and he may never become a true franchise QB.

Hoping he proves me wrong.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
We have a QBOF. If you want to make a trade, shoot for a #1 CB or top OG. Trading Murray for Watson isn’t much more than a lateral move, or a slight upgrade at best. IMO...

LOL. Watson right now is where we're hoping Murray will be in two years. Watson in his brief rookie season was better than anything we saw from Murray this year.

You trade for Watson because you want to accelerate your performance curve to where you're a potential Super Bowl contender right now. You have to believe you have the right coaching staff and defense in place to do that, as well as sufficient surrounding personnel, though.