juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So the Rams pays an extra first round pick to get rid of Goff contract
I think Stafford cost wouldn't have been more then first and third

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Watson was a statistically top 5 QB mainly because the Texans D was the worst in the NFL so they were forced to throw the ball against teams playing soft zones protecting big leads. Odds are that Keim is gone if the Cardinals don’t win this year. Is anyone confident that should that happen, that MB will make a good choice hiring his replacement? I don’t. As long as a Bidwill owns the Cardinals, it’ll always be an uphill battle.

This :yeahthat:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
In nine seasons where Stafford started all 16 games he was sacked on average 37 times compared to Goff who in 4 seasons was sacked on average 25 times. Figure Stafford was probably hit (knocked down) a few more times than Goff and you realize with better protection Stafford is probably going to have a few pretty good seasons with the Rams and in addition a better running game in LA too. I think the Rams paid too much for Stafford but I also think they are now a better team with Stafford.

From a statistical standpoint both QBs are practically even in TD%, INT%, COMP% and right down the line for any other stat.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
waiting for the official acctg from OvertheCap, but it appears the trade has put both teams in a worse situation cap wise than before due to accelerated bonus charges

the Rams can restructure Staffords deal, but he only has two years left on his deal (21 and 22) -- so there are limits

what this does do is make it unlikely that Detroit resigns Marvin Jones or even Kenny Golliday --

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several other teams pursued Matthew Stafford

The Rams got Matthew Stafford. Several other teams wanted him.

Peter King of NBC Sports reports that the Panthers were “very interested” in Stafford, and “competed for him.” Other teams, per King, who were interested in Stafford include the Broncos, Colts, and 49ers.

Nicki Jhabvala of the Washington Post reports that the Washington Football Team offered the Lions a package that was “better” for the Lions in 2021. Detroit receives only a 2021 third-round pick from the Rams this year, with first-rounders in 2022 and 2023.

It’s impossible to ask the question of whether one of the other teams interested in Stafford would have given up two first-round picks and a third-round pick for Stafford, because the Rams didn’t give up two first-round picks and a third-round pick for Stafford. The Rams gave up those picks in part to get the Lions to take on the contract of quarterback Jared Goff.

If the Lions had sent Stafford anywhere else, the Lions necessarily would have gotten less.

football karma

Reaction score
with this trade, and talk of "the long term" the Lions have just told their fans that they are stripping things down to the frame this offseason

they plan on clearing tons of cap space -- thats why they valued getting an extra 1st round pick by taking on a dumb contract -- they expect to have lots of cap space over the next couple years

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The good teams in the NBA use draft picks to go after the key players they want and fill in their roster afterwards. It tends to work.

A case could be made when you trade draft picks for players, it's safer because you know exactly who you are getting.

Also good markets tend to attract the best players in free agency.

football karma

Reaction score
i dunno how this works out for the Rams this offseason, but years of not adding top 32 talent, plus constant letting guys leave due to cap constraints will eventually catch up to them.......

the Rams traded a QB whose ceiling was limited, but whose floor was also high in Goff -- for a QB who makes great throws, but also makes some headscratchers as well -- more volatility on the highs and lows

it will be interesting to see how it works for them

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The dumbest thing about all this is that the Ram's didn't get a single year out of Goff's extension.

They used his 4 years and the 5th year option and saddled themselves with a $22m dead cap hit this year for nothing.

The aim is to win superbowls this move makes it more likely the Rams will win one in the short term, long term not so much. The Ram's were never going to win one with Goff. He has decent arm talent but the mental side just isn't there. Not good at reading defenses, not good under pressure.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't I read just last year that his back injury had him contemplating retirement? I guess he's recovered completely

Always had a great arm, sort of a less annoying Jeff George, so are the Rams his fit?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Didn't I read just last year that his back injury had him contemplating retirement? I guess he's recovered completely

Always had a great arm, sort of a less annoying Jeff George, so are the Rams his fit?
FWIW, I think he favorably compares to Carson Palmer in his later years with the Bengals.

Stafford, afaik, is a plus leader. George was a total dink and more in the Jay Cutler vein.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Rams paid a steep price for an aging and, perhaps, marginally better QB IMO. It seems to show that McVay was done with Goff (if starting the AAF QB over him in the playoff game didn't already).

The Rams defense and their running game will help Stafford. He's a pretty good QB with a little Favre-like "WTF?" throws every so often.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Haha inwas reading rams forum and a lot of there fans hate the trade saying they got clowned by the lions

Very step price for Stafford with the picks that is more of a watson trade...

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
FWIW, I think he favorably compares to Carson Palmer in his later years with the Bengals.

Stafford, afaik, is a plus leader. George was a total dink and more in the Jay Cutler vein.

he’s a leader? Based on what?

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Stafford will excel in mcvay's offense, which is extremely QB friendly. Goff, on the other hand, will probably be benched (again) by midseason... dude just makes the worst decisions. Unbelievable haul by Detroit, and it says a lot how the teams perceived Goff as a negative asset.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose