OT: Deshaun Watson officially wants out of Houston

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so a team gives up a crapload of draft capital and a starter and Watson ends up with the same roster as he had with Texans.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yea, & the Bears still have yet to win a playoff game with Mack & while still good, hasn’t been as effective since he first got there.

Patrick Mahomes, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, & Aaron Rodgers are the only players I’m thinking about giving up FOUR first rounds pick for. I’d maybe sit & think about 3, but four? Nah. Hell nah.
So, if the best offer is going to be three 1st round picks...is that really better than Kyler Murray? I would argue not. Tua is not close to being better. Darnold (who I like) is not close to be ing better than Kyler. Zach Wilson is not close to be the better prospect. Neither is Fields IMO. There is no better offer for Deshaun Watson that Kyler Murray if the Cardinals decide they want to trade potential for production.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Cards would have been in the playoffs this season with Watson IMO. He is a much better QB than Murray RIGHT NOW. I think Keim needs to make the call but I think the asking price will be too prohibitive. Also, there is the 2 blown out knees Watson has suffered that have to be taken into account, as has been mentioned.

The Cards would have been in the playoff this season with Kyler. It was coaching and injuries that kept us out, not the QB.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
and, if the Cardinals had to give up anything, they would give up a 2022 1st rounder.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yes but he put many of these numbers in garbage time, when the Texans were already done in the score, don't forget
He had a touchdown/interception ration of 14/1 against crappy defenses (TN-2 games, DET late in the season, and Burrow-less Bengals). He was very average early in the season when they opened 0-4 against playoff type teams.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The Cards would have been in the playoff this season with Kyler. It was coaching and injuries that kept us out, not the QB.
Disagree. QB makes the plays on the field. He can change the play call. He is 100% in control. Kyler lost too many games to inferior QBs to be considered near Watson's level. If Kyler plays better, we are in the playoffs. He is young, he didn't, and now we strap up and try to get him more talent.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watson Salary:
2021 $16 Million
2022 $40 Million
2023 $ 42 Million

Kyler Murray Salary
2021 $9.7 million
2022 $11.3 million
2023 5th Year Option

I think you can put some good free agents signings around Kyler with the contract differences especially in 2022 and 2023. I prefer to keep Murray and build around him.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Disagree. QB makes the plays on the field. He can change the play call. He is 100% in control. Kyler lost too many games to inferior QBs to be considered near Watson's level. If Kyler plays better, we are in the playoffs. He is young, he didn't, and now we strap up and try to get him more talent.
Completely disagree. Murray is significantly more talented than Watson. We would be absolutely crazy to make any trade UNLESS Houston is willing to give us at least an extra 2 first round picks to give them Murray. You guys are nuts.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, if the best offer is going to be three 1st round picks...is that really better than Kyler Murray? I would argue not. Tua is not close to being better. Darnold (who I like) is not close to be ing better than Kyler. Zach Wilson is not close to be the better prospect. Neither is Fields IMO. There is no better offer for Deshaun Watson that Kyler Murray if the Cardinals decide they want to trade potential for production.
My brother, I told you earlier I just won’t entertain trading Kyler for anyone as of this very moment. I love hypotheticals, but only hypotheticals that actually have a 3% chance of happening. This one doesn’t even have 0.01% chance of happening.

But like I said, only player I would truly give up 3 first rounders + players for is Mahomes. I think he’s the only player to be worth all of that.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Watson is the better QB and there will be other offers that will include multiple first-round picks and/or swaps. A 1-for-1 swap wouldn't be enough. I do know that I wouldn't give up a first rounder in any draft package.

Wholeheartedly agree. Why take a 1 for 1 when they could get a U-Haul truck of equity from other teams. Kyler isn't THAT good.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Fine argument for keeping the bird in hand.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Goff/Donald/pick or Jimmy G/Bosa/pick.....
Guarantee they’re not taking on an average QB’s salary as part of the deal. Maybe a three-team trade, but Jimmy and Goff are not worth the contracts they’re signed to

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I agree, that ain’t happening. He’ll probably go to NE but I sure would like him out of the NFC West.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Lol. We could have got in the playoffs with Hundley. The coach went into the game with a QB that wasn't 100% and no legitimate backup.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Watson’s 1st 2 full seasons, he was sacked 106 times. He also played for a significantly better team with a significantly better HC. BOB may have been a horrible GM, but he did win that division multiple times. He gets sacked because his release is LOOOOOOOONG.

He holds the ball too long you can find articles for the last 2 years with them trying to get him to stop doing that. Now he does it because he wants to make plays downfield, and that's good, but it leads to lots of sacks that hurt them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I didn't say wilt I said he has an option almost no other NFL player has, he has a baseball contract waiting for him.

Aaron Rodgers was furious the Packers took a QB, made it public, he's done it before. He went out and had a great year. If Rodgers was 23, had the A's sitting by waiting and the Pack asked about trading him without him approving, I think Aaron Rodgers would either have become a baseball player, or he would have demanded the Packers trade him and made the HOF for another team.

We may not like it but Kyler has an unusual situation the A's would take him in a heartbeat right now. He clearly has ears and eyes and an agent, if he wants to play in Texas he can get that leaked back to the Cardinals very easily. But if he doesn't and we look into it anyways, we may wind up with neither Watson nor Murray
I think the baseball option is done. He hasn’t played baseball now in over two years. He wasn’t a finished product when drafted but rather a super high upside potential project. He’s experienced success in the nfl making pro bowl, there’s no guarantee that he’ll be as successful in baseball. If he never makes it outta minor leagues he threw away a very lucrative nfl career and the fame that goes along with it. He made his choice, I don’t think baseball is a realistic option any longer.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But we dont have the bird in hand. Watson is the bird in hand. Kyler has the most potential of all the potentials, but it's still two in the bush until potential is reached.

Kyler is under contract ergo "a bird in hand".

Kyler with arm & leg has generated 9056 yards and 61 TDs in his first two seasons.

Bird in hand with as you say "the most potential of all the potentials".

I'll buy this stock.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose