OT: Deshaun Watson officially wants out of Houston

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Almost a given. Outside of experience I dont think there is anything Deshaun can give you that Kyler wont eventually give you and more
Respectfully. There is absolutely no way you could know that. Especially with the existing evidence at hand.

And I don’t think anyone has mentioned that Kyler is a Texas Legend who may well sell out the stadium regardless of their record year in and year out. Tua can’t realistically say that yet IMO.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The HS connection may count as an extra asset depending on how much Houston FO cares about that. I believe both teams Allen HS beat in the state title games were powerhouse programs from Houston.

Tua was a prolific QB before the hip injury. After a fully healthy offseason he still has a ton of value but he wouldn’t be the box office draw Kyler would. I think they’ll look for a boatload of picks given how bad their roster is.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Almost a given. Outside of experience I dont think there is anything Deshaun can give you that Kyler wont eventually give you and more

Respectfully. There is absolutely no way you could know that. Especially with the existing evidence at hand.

And I don’t think anyone has mentioned that Kyler is a Texas Legend who may well sell out the stadium regardless of their record year in and year out. Tua can’t realistically say that yet IMO.

I personally think Kyler is a good if not better than Watson was as a 2nd year pro.
And if we're talking potential I think Kyler clearly has more than Watson. Faster, stronger arm, better deep ball accuracy.
However, Watson has two things that I merely hope Kyler would be good at. Much better intermediate passing and helluva lot better throwing on the run.
Those two things both solve and unlock Kliff's offense.

Watson's floor would be hard to turn down. Now I dont think the trade would happen, but I would be good with it if it did. Cause I just dont know how Kyler/Kliff mesh long term in comparison. I know Watson would work with any coach.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Not following those Verzuz Pro Bowl huh?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

If Watson makes it to the Rams, they'd be Super Bowl favorites.

As for Jalen's comments about Hop's QBs, I don't think players around the NFL fawn over Murray like people in AZ do

TJ

Reaction score
I didn't say wilt I said he has an option almost no other NFL player has, he has a baseball contract waiting for him.

Aaron Rodgers was furious the Packers took a QB, made it public, he's done it before. He went out and had a great year. If Rodgers was 23, had the A's sitting by waiting and the Pack asked about trading him without him approving, I think Aaron Rodgers would either have become a baseball player, or he would have demanded the Packers trade him and made the HOF for another team.

We may not like it but Kyler has an unusual situation the A's would take him in a heartbeat right now. He clearly has ears and eyes and an agent, if he wants to play in Texas he can get that leaked back to the Cardinals very easily. But if he doesn't and we look into it anyways, we may wind up with neither Watson nor Murray

I highly doubt Kyler would use baseball as a threat in this situation. Kyler and the Cardinals know that he's far removed from baseball and that he'd be making a small fraction of what he makes now as a QB (and definitely once he gets a contract worth ~$40 mil/year in 2-3 years). The A's aren't going to give him more than $2mil/year to start, and he'd start in the minor leagues.

The reality is, for all of the baseball talk, it's fluff at the end of the day.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyler, Isabella and a first-round pick for Watson. If O'Brien was still, there, he would of taken this trade. :)

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I personally think Kyler is a good if not better than Watson was as a 2nd year pro.
And if we're talking potential I think Kyler clearly has more than Watson. Faster, stronger arm, better deep ball accuracy.
However, Watson has two things that I merely hope Kyler would be good at. Much better intermediate passing and helluva lot better throwing on the run.
Those two things both solve and unlock Kliff's offense.

Watson's floor would be hard to turn down. Now I dont think the trade would happen, but I would be good with it if it did. Cause I just dont know how Kyler/Kliff mesh long term in comparison. I know Watson would work with any coach.

I agree but I think that's a big part of kliffs problem. He doesn't create opportunities for Kyler to get comfortable throwing out of the pocket with the lack rollouts, bootlegs, etc.

The intermediate, Kyler is just going to have to learn how how to create throwing lanes a la Drew Brews

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree but I think that's a big part of kliffs problem. He doesn't create opportunities for Kyler to get comfortable throwing out of the pocket with the lack rollouts, bootlegs, etc.

The intermediate, Kyler is just going to have to learn how how to create throwing lanes a la Drew Brews
I agree about the Brees part. However, thats so up in the air if he can learn that. Dont have to worry about that with Watson.

I'd seriously consider it if there's word the 49ers are trying to trade for Watson. Cause then it might not matter how good Kyler gets (in the near future)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt Kyler would use baseball as a threat in this situation. Kyler and the Cardinals know that he's far removed from baseball and that he'd be making a small fraction of what he makes now as a QB (and definitely once he gets a contract worth ~$40 mil/year in 2-3 years). The A's aren't going to give him more than $2mil/year to start, and he'd start in the minor leagues.

The reality is, for all of the baseball talk, it's fluff at the end of the day.

I don't think he will either I'm just saying like Watson has leverage with the no trade, Murray has leverage even as a young guy because of baseball. he's very close to the age where that leverage will disappear. At 23 he still has value to the A's, at 25 he would have far less because it takes awhile in baseball and he's not a can't miss guy.

I don't think the Cards will take much interest in Watson, unless someone connected to Kyler came to them and suggested it.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mind boggling to me that some here are thinking that we need Watson?? We’ve drafted our QBOTF. Rookie of the year in year 1 & Pro Bowl in year 2. Both accomplishments with a crappy OL in year 1 & a pathetic WR group outside of Hopkins in year 2. Look, I like Watson. Outstanding QB, outstanding person. But, he’s also blown out both knees & gets sacked too much for my liking. And he’s already in a contract that will handicap our ability to build around him. At some point in time, you have to stop building your team via trades, but build from within. Fix the interior of the OL & fix the WR group & you already have an outstanding talent in Murray. One thing I look at is how long & how quick a QB’s release is. Watson has a very long release, which will only get longer as he ages. Murray also has a much quicker release. IMO, it would be a bad idea to trade your franchise player after 2 very promising seasons.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree about the Brees part. However, thats so up in the air if he can learn that. Dont have to worry about that with Watson.

I'd seriously consider it if there's word the 49ers are trying to trade for Watson. Cause then it might not matter how good Kyler gets (in the near future)

Hopefully if thats the case, they have to sacrifice ALOT for him. Id hate to see Watson with Shanahan plus a solid team around him twice a year

TJ

Reaction score
Kyler, Isabella and a first-round pick for Watson. If O'Brien was still, there, he would of taken this trade. :)

I would not include a first in a trade for Watson. That may be a deal breaker, but I'm not in a rush to give up Kyler while attaching significant capital in the process . For the Texans, it guarantees that it gets a franchise QB in exchange, especially one who is a Texas HS legend. The good publicity it'd get is valuable, considering how bleak the Texan's reputation is at this point.

TJ

Reaction score
Mind boggling to me that some here are thinking that we need Watson?? We’ve drafted our QBOTF. Rookie of the year in year 1 & Pro Bowl in year 2. Both accomplishments with a crappy OL in year 1 & a pathetic WR group outside of Hopkins in year 2. Look, I like Watson. Outstanding QB, outstanding person. But, he’s also blown out both knees & gets sacked too much for my liking. And he’s already in a contract that will handicap our ability to build around him. At some point in time, you have to stop building your team via trades, but build from within. Fix the interior of the OL & fix the WR group & you already have an outstanding talent in Murray. One thing I look at is how long & how quick a QB’s release is. Watson has a very long release, which will only get longer as he ages. Murray also has a much quicker release. IMO, it would be a bad idea to trade your franchise player after 2 very promising seasons.

We don't *need* Watson, but he's a better QB than Murray, and a GM would be derelict of duty if he didn't look to improve on the most important position in sports, especially if said QB already has a great relationship with the franchise WR. Obviously, you hope that Murray, Kirk and a Day 2 pick would offset the need to throw in a first-round pick, but that would be the highest I'd offer. We're not as desperate as, say, the Jets, 9ers, or Rams to improve upon the position, but the thought of improving the position is intriguing.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Murray after 2 seasons is much better than Watson was after 2 seasons. Watson has been sacked 174 times in 54 games. Not saying that Watson isn’t a great QB. But, Murray is too. We can argue until we’re blue in the face. We can bring this up in 3 years & compare these guys. For me, right now, I’m all for sticking with the guy WE drafted.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We don't *need* Watson, but he's a better QB than Murray, and a GM would be derelict of duty if he didn't look to improve on the most important position in sports, especially if said QB already has a great relationship with the franchise WR. Obviously, you hope that Murray, Kirk and a Day 2 pick would offset the need to throw in a first-round pick, but that would be the highest I'd offer. We're not as desperate as, say, the Jets, 9ers, or Rams to improve upon the position, but the thought of improving the position is intriguing.
Murray after 2 seasons is much better than Watson was after 2 seasons. Watson has been sacked 174 times in 54 games. Not saying that Watson isn’t a great QB. But, Murray is too. We can argue until we’re blue in the face. We can bring this up in 3 years & compare these guys. For me, right now, I’m all for sticking with the guyWE drafted.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Murray after 2 seasons is much better than Watson was after 2 seasons. Watson has been sacked 174 times in 54 games. Not saying that Watson isn’t a great QB. But, Murray is too. We can argue until we’re blue in the face. We can bring this up in 3 years & compare these guys. For me, right now, I’m all for sticking with the guyWE drafted.
Since you posted it twice...Double like for you sir.:p