with the 16th pick......Daniel Jeremiah has the Arizona Cardinals taking

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think I would argue that 15.5 sacks in the year where Greg Rousseau opt-ed out is pretty high production. He does have a history which is not really mentioned. That said, DJ's mocks are generally what he is hearing more than how he ranks players. So he is hearing something indicating the Cardinals may be interested in an EDGE player in round 1.
In the 2 previous season before sitting out one voluntarily due to medical concerns, he played in 10 games with 8 TFLs & 4.5 sacks. Putting his risky medical aside his sacks this year ranked him 10th, not bad but not dominant. As to DVontel’s saying prowess is why you draft sn Edge; I simply disagree. Durability, statistics, motor, toughness, football intelligence and athletics are all factors plus a few others. Weighing those criteria against each other is what a scout & GM do. The list of failed great athletes is quite long.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
In the 2 previous season before sitting out one voluntarily due to medical concerns, he played in 10 games with 8 TFLs & 4.5 sacks. Putting his risky medical aside his sacks this year ranked him 10th, not bad but not dominant. As to DVontel’s saying prowess is why you draft sn Edge; I simply disagree. Durability, statistics, motor, toughness, football intelligence and athletics are all factors plus a few others. Weighing those criteria against each other is what a scout & GM do. The list of failed great athletes is quite long.
I agree that he has a history which I acknowledged was not mentioned in DJ's blurb about Phillips. I also agree that you can't just go off athletic prowess and sack numbers but his 2020 production was outstanding and can't be discounted.

For me, the position DJ had us taking in round 1 was more interesting than the player.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sewell falling to 10 and Parsons falling to 15 is total insanity from DJ. I'm sincerely hoping this was a troll job on America.

However...... Pitts falling to San Francisco is one of my current worst nightmares. Can you imagine Pitts and DK Metcalf in the same division? ooooof.
Pitts and kittle on same team. We would be doomed.

Harry

Reaction score
For what it’s worth PFF has him ranked 6th among the edge rushers. This is a preview of things to come. Even among the top talent evaluators there is no consistent agreement.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
However...... Pitts falling to San Francisco is one of my current worst nightmares.

fwiw: I fully expect SF to go CB if one is there

they are in worse shape than the Cards as it relates to all their current CBs are UFAs

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If a major offensive weapon like Chase or Pitts is there at 16, they would also likely be BPA at that point as well. I would not be upset at all if the draft falls a way in which we end up with Chase...because that probably means other guys I would have wanted we off the board.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
About the only guy I would trade up for to around 10, if he fell, is Jamar Chase.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What are you willing to pay?

If it was really to #10 and the Cowboys, I would try to work something out for Patrick Peterson..some sort of tag and trade scenario.

In general though, if we were talking about moving up 5-7 spots in the drat, it would require at least our 2nd. Maybe 2nd and 4th.

I would only offer up those picks for Sewell and Chase, as I think they are the #2 and #3 players in the draft behind Lawrence. Either one has the potential to be a ROH type cardinals player if we got them.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i think the Cards are in a decent spot at #16

5 Qbs are being talked about as 1st rounders and lots of QB needy teams ahead of them

also ahead of the Cards are the Eagles, Falcons and Vikings -- all have serious cap constraints and i can see them reaching for a need position rather than BPA

it suggests that the odds are decent that a highly rated player falls to them at #16

i also think it increases the odds of a profitable trade back opportunity: most of the playoff teams below them have cap issues, so adding that next key piece will be hard for them.

as an example: if you are Tennessee and your highest rated pass rusher Kwity Paye is there at 16 -- i think you okay with paying up to move up to take him.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
The 1st 15 should looks to include 4 qbs, 3 wrs, plus Parsons, Sewell, and Pitts. That makes 10 right there. So easy figure that a 1 or 2 CBs, IOLs, and possibly Edge/DEs. That makes 15, and the rest are for our choosing. At least the way that I see it.

I just did a quick draft of top 15 teams (no trades) and I think the players I selected will hold fairly true, even if they don't line up with the exact teams they were chosen for:
1. Trevor Lawrence, QB
2. Penei Sewell, OT
3. Ja'Marr Chase, WR
4. Justin Fields, QB
5. DeVonta Smith, WR
6. Patrick Surtain II, CB
7. Zach Wilson, QB
8. Trey Lance, QB
9. Kwity Paye, EDGE
10. Caleb Farley, CB
11. Micah Parsons, LB
12. Rashawn Slater, OT/IOL
13. Samuel Cosmi, OT
14. Alijah Vera-Tucker, IOL
15. Kyle Pitts, TE

That leaves 1 of these 10 at the top of the Big Board left for us:
Jaylen Waddle
Christian Darrisaw
Joseph Ossai
Najee Harris
Travis Etienne
Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah
Jaycee Horn
Rashod Bateman
Zaven Collins

If that should happen to end up the case, I suppose we would be leaning towards Jaycee Horn at CB. I think Notre Dame's JO-K is the top athlete with best upside. I surely wouldn't mind us reaching a tad for Najee Harris though. A little excitement never hurts the fan base. Collins has really shot up the board and appears he would be a really fast and exciting edge rusher/OLB for us. I believe Ossai is rated a bit higher though. Those who wanted us to shore up our OL over other areas, Darrisaw would probably be the choice. Taking an OT that high scares me though considering our previous little success.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Our first round big board is likely not very big.

Locks
Ja'Marr Chase
Kyle Pitts
Rashawn Slater
Penei Sewell
Caleb Farley
Patrick Surtain

Fringe guys
Micah Parsons (Position makes it tough unless you move him to Reddick's spot)
Jaycee Horn (I like him more than the league may)
Alijah Vera-Tucker (Getting more and more pub)
DeVonta Smith (A little redundant to Hopkins)

If we decide to look at EDGE players this changes, but as is, trading down might be a likely scenario.

Harry

Reaction score
Our first round big board is likely not very big.

Locks
Ja'Marr Chase
Kyle Pitts
Rashawn Slater
Penei Sewell
Caleb Farley
Patrick Surtain

Fringe guys
Micah Parsons (Position makes it tough unless you move him to Reddick's spot)
Jaycee Horn (I like him more than the league may)
Alijah Vera-Tucker (Getting more and more pub)
DeVonta Smith (A little redundant to Hopkins)

If we decide to look at EDGE players this changes, but as is, trading down might be a likely scenario.

Since the Cards O-line thinking is likely someone who starts at guard but could develop into an OT. That makes Vera-Tucker a valid option.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Since the Cards O-line thinking is likely someone who starts at guard but could develop into an OT. That makes Vera-Tucker a valid option.
It may also depend on how comfortable they are with Jones at RT. If Darrisaw fell, it would tell you where they felt he was at.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
One player who has an outside chance is Jalen Mayfield out of Michigan. He is very young, but Kugler likes Michigan players and Mayfield is a right side player who could step in at RT or RG. He should be available and would not be considered too much of a reach if you wanted to upgrade the o-line. The tough part would be having a rookie and a first time starter next to each other.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The 1st 15 should looks to include 4 qbs, 3 wrs, plus Parsons, Sewell, and Pitts. That makes 10 right there. So easy figure that a 1 or 2 CBs, IOLs, and possibly Edge/DEs. That makes 15, and the rest are for our choosing. At least the way that I see it.

I just did a quick draft of top 15 teams (no trades) and I think the players I selected will hold fairly true, even if they don't line up with the exact teams they were chosen for:
1. Trevor Lawrence, QB
2. Penei Sewell, OT
3. Ja'Marr Chase, WR
4. Justin Fields, QB
5. DeVonta Smith, WR
6. Patrick Surtain II, CB
7. Zach Wilson, QB
8. Trey Lance, QB
9. Kwity Paye, EDGE
10. Caleb Farley, CB
11. Micah Parsons, LB
12. Rashawn Slater, OT/IOL
13. Samuel Cosmi, OT
14. Alijah Vera-Tucker, IOL
15. Kyle Pitts, TE

That leaves 1 of these 10 at the top of the Big Board left for us:
Jaylen Waddle
Christian Darrisaw
Joseph Ossai
Najee Harris
Travis Etienne
Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah
Jaycee Horn
Rashod Bateman
Zaven Collins

If that should happen to end up the case, I suppose we would be leaning towards Jaycee Horn at CB. I think Notre Dame's JO-K is the top athlete with best upside. I surely wouldn't mind us reaching a tad for Najee Harris though. A little excitement never hurts the fan base. Collins has really shot up the board and appears he would be a really fast and exciting edge rusher/OLB for us. I believe Ossai is rated a bit higher though. Those who wanted us to shore up our OL over other areas, Darrisaw would probably be the choice. Taking an OT that high scares me though considering our previous little success.

If it ended up like this I would be in favor of a trade down and trying to get a stud interior Olineman.

I think Jaycee Horn or Zaven Collins as an OLB could work too..but to me the value would be trading down, taking a stud guard and then using that extra pick for something down the line.

How about a trade down to the mid 20's, take Alex Leatherwood as a stud RG and pick up an extra 3rd.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
What do you remember most about the great Steelers teams of the 80's. To me it was their totally awesome LB corp. In memory of them, I would be thrilled if we got Parsons. I think it would be the most exciting pick we could make. With Campbell, Parsons, Simmons, and Reddick, we would control that part of the field and put some fear in some teams.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose