OT: Matt Stafford and Detroit parting ways

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Hell, even Fangio wants someone who can maximize Cortland Sutton, Jerry Juedy, Hamler and Noah Fant.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For the Football Team, the Colts, the Bears, and the 49ers...there is not a player they can take that will make as much of an impact as Matthew Stafford. Same goes for Denver and New England to be honest.

If you are Nagy (prove it year), Rivera (2nd year on 2nd team), Reich (playoffs with Rivers none without), Belichick (no playoffs without Brady), and Shanahan (constantly doing more with less) why are you not pushing for a guy who can be a top 12 QB?
Lions ain’t trading in division so I would cancel the Bears out.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the Football Team, the Colts, the Bears, and the 49ers...there is not a player they can take that will make as much of an impact as Matthew Stafford. Same goes for Denver and New England to be honest.

If you are Nagy (prove it year), Rivera (2nd year on 2nd team), Reich (playoffs with Rivers none without), Belichick (no playoffs without Brady), and Shanahan (constantly doing more with less) why are you not pushing for a guy who can be a top 12 QB?

I'm not doubting that he wouldn't make a great impact. Denver sports radio haven't stopped talking about Watson until the news about Stafford broke. Prior to that, they have been talking about Stafford and Ryan for 2 weeks solid.

You can only expect 2-3 years out of Stafford and I don't think teams will give up a 1st rounder and pay him 30M a year for a 2-3 year rental. You'd have to be pretty complete in the rest of your team to make that decision.

I guess I could see the Colts make the leap since it would be a 20s 1st rounder. Denver picks in the top 10 and you can't trade that for Stafford.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm not doubting that he wouldn't make a great impact. Denver sports radio haven't stopped talking about Watson until the news about Stafford broke. Prior to that, they have been talking about Stafford and Ryan for 2 weeks solid.

You can only expect 2-3 years out of Stafford and I don't think teams will give up a 1st rounder and pay him 30M a year for a 2-3 year rental. You'd have to be pretty complete in the rest of your team to make that decision.

I guess I could see the Colts make the leap since it would be a 20s 1st rounder. Denver picks in the top 10 and you can't trade that for Stafford.
I guess I haven't seen anything from Stafford to make me believe that he won't play for 5 more years.

I also don't believe any of those referenced teams gives a crap about three years from now. Belichick wants to win. Rivera wants to win. Reich wants to win. Shanahan wants to win. Fangio needs a 2nd contract. Some CB or WR or EDGE player in round 1 isn't going to get it done. It also isn't likely that Mac Jones does either.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I guess I haven't seen anything from Stafford to make me believe that he won't play for 5 more years.

I also don't believe any of those referenced teams gives a crap about three years from now. Belichick wants to win. Rivera wants to win. Reich wants to win. Shanahan wants to win. Fangio needs a 2nd contract. Some CB or WR or EDGE player in round 1 isn't going to get it done. It also isn't likely that Mac Jones does either.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he falls off a cliff within 2-3 years. He’s had so much shoulder/hand stuff over the years and had a back injury last season. He seems like a great guy that needs saving similar to Palmer here.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
stafford is the exact type of qb the Cardinals would trade for sign if they didnt have K1

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be surprised if he falls off a cliff within 2-3 years. He’s had so much shoulder/hand stuff over the years and had a back injury last season. He seems like a great guy that needs saving similar to Palmer here.

Carson Palmer played here 5 years.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Stafford is only 32. I think Detroit gets a 1 ++.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Stafford is only 32. I think Detroit gets a 1 ++.
It really depends on what they are looking to do.

They could trade him to the Saints for Taysom Hill, Cam Jordan and Lattimore if they want to change the locker room vs getting picks.

They could move him to SF for Bosa and Jimmy G.

They could trade him to Denver for Lock, a 1st and a WR.

Trade him to NE for Gilmore and a 1st.

Colts are the team up against it because they would likely need to trade Darius Leonard along with multiple picks to compete.

Lots of options and I agree, the price will not be cheap.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stafford and 2 first round picks to the Texans for DeShaun Watson and a fourth round pick

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, (I have been once or twice) but I don't think that there will be the bidding war that we think there will be. Of those teams that desperately need a QB, most have a high draft pick and would rather run with one of the 4 QBs that are likely to be drafted in the top 15... especially since the cap is going down and the cap difference between a 1st round pick and Stafford probably equates to 75-100M over the 4-5 years.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I could be wrong, (I have been once or twice) but I don't think that there will be the bidding war that we think there will be. Of those teams that desperately need a QB, most have a high draft pick and would rather run with one of the 4 QBs that are likely to be drafted in the top 15... especially since the cap is going down and the cap difference between a 1st round pick and Stafford probably equates to 75-100M over the 4-5 years.
I am unclear what teams you are thinking are going to pursue him. The team with the highest pick that is likely to pursue Stafford is Denver at 9. At that point, it is essentially take Trey Lance or Mac Jones or trade for Stafford. Fangio's job security would prefer Stafford.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Rodgers isn’t going anywhere he just likes being dramatic...

Stafford will go to an average team and make them above-average...

Watson is the prize likely Tua and two FRP’s... Question is can they get #3 back...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Bears are there with a QB too. And lions won’t hesitate to trade stafford within division for greatest value if they won’t be competitive for a while.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am unclear what teams you are thinking are going to pursue him. The team with the highest pick that is likely to pursue Stafford is Denver at 9. At that point, it is essentially take Trey Lance or Mac Jones or trade for Stafford. Fangio's job security would prefer Stafford.

Denver moved away from Elway and hired a new GM this year. This GM seems to care about building a team right instead of the QB bandaids that Denver has tried since Peyton left.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Denver moved away from Elway and hired a new GM this year. This GM seems to care about building a team right instead of the QB bandaids that Denver has tried since Peyton left.
That GM also came from Minnesota where they thought it was worth it to pay Cousins 30+ mil to have stability at the QB position. Almost every organization in the NFL has a "win now" mindset because of the high expectations to be competitive and win. Look at AZ. Regardless of how we finished the year, the Cardinals have improved their record for the 2nd straight year and there are still fans clamoring for Keim, Vance and Kliff to be fired.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That GM also came from Minnesota where they thought it was worth it to pay Cousins 30+ mil to have stability at the QB position. Almost every organization in the NFL has a "win now" mindset because of the high expectations to be competitive and win. Look at AZ. Regardless of how we finished the year, the Cardinals have improved their record for the 2nd straight year and there are still fans clamoring for Keim, Vance and Kliff to be fired.

I'll make an signature wager if you want that Denver doesn't trade the #9 pick for Stafford. If they get picks back in return or trade less than a 2021 1st rounder I win. If they trade the #9 pick and/or more, I lose.

Interested?

I still think Denver is very interested in Stafford, just not at the #9 price.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'll make an signature wager if you want that Denver doesn't trade the #9 pick for Stafford. If they get picks back in return or trade less than a 2021 1st rounder I win. If they trade the #9 pick and/or more, I lose.

Interested?

I still think Denver is very interested in Stafford, just not at the #9 price.
I will bet you that the compensation from whatever team trades for him is more than just a 1st round pick.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will bet you that the compensation from whatever team trades for him is more than just a 1st round pick.

More? So if Denver only offers the #9 pick and that's it, I would win the bet? I just want to verify the terms...

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
More? So if Denver only offers the #9 pick and that's it, I would win the bet? I just want to verify the terms...
Yes essentially you would win if any team trades for Stafford and the compensation is a 1st round pick or less.

I would win if any team acquires Stafford for a 1st round pick plus anything else (player, pick, whatever)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes essentially you would win if any team trades for Stafford and the compensation is a 1st round pick or less.

I would win if any team acquires Stafford for a 1st round pick plus anything else (player, pick, whatever)

What if it is a pick + pick for Stafford + pick situation?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose