Weapons, weapons, weapons

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Doesn't hurt either.

Absolutely not.

But it's not something realistic for us considering how many holes we have and how little capital to fill them.

A better scheme would go much further to improving this offense than any players. Any player would just be hampered by having to run isolated routes from a limited route tree.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody threw more deep passes than the Bucs. You know who was second...the Packers.

Whether it was lack of personnel or scheme we didn’t do it enough. We need a true #2 Wr that can break a tackle. Kirk should be downgraded to a #3 or #4. Issabella should be used like Scotty Miller.

In addition to that we need to address the RB situation. We need a thumper that can bulldoze his way and get 1 yard when you need a foot. Gore and Hyde have been two guys that have excelled in a situational road. I think Ingram could be that guy.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody threw more deep passes than the Bucs. You know who was second...the Packers.

Whether it was lack of personnel or scheme we didn’t do it enough. We need a true #2 Wr that can break a tackle. Kirk should be downgraded to a #3 or #4. Issabella should be used like Scotty Miller.

In addition to that we need to address the RB situation. We need a thumper that can bulldoze his way and get 1 yard when you need a foot. Gore and Hyde have been two guys that have excelled in a situational road. I think Ingram could be that guy.

Mark Ingram? He’s not a thumper.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I am also of the mind that we would be better served to just focus on bodies on defense and playmakers on offense for year 3. We will have to sign one better-than-average interior line player at either C or RG. I don't believe you can count on one in round 1 at 16 unless you you really like Vera-Tucker or Mayfield. If that is the case, you can look at IOL in round 1 and then playmakers in rounds 2 and 3.

If you want a WR in round 1 because, trade back because there are a billion in this draft and they are all about the same.

Creed Humphrey, Deonte Brown, and a couple others are options in round 2, but FA will determine that.

And that is most of the truth of it. FA is going to dictate a ton of what we do in the draft. We sign a high dollar C, that position is out the window. WR, same. OG, same for an early pick. RB, same.

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Is Sullivan still on the coaching staff? If so, I would lean on his assessment regarding receivers that are in draft. I am not opposed drafting a receiver in the first round, but believe we could drop down and still pick up a decent receiver and additional draft capital

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm all for adding some playmakers at RB and a a decent #2, but if you're telling me Kliff's offense can't work unless we load up on overpriced free agents and 1st round picks, then what's the point of his offense? What's the point of drafting Kyler #1 overall?

That said, I like the idea of going after a premiere IOL, Curtis Samuel, and investing our 1st or second in an RB.

One of the issues with comparing our team to either KC or TB is that we've consistently failed at drafting. KC's stars in Kelce and Hill? 3rd and 5th round picks, respectively.

TB is a little different, but their star WRs are both draft picks, and Godwin was a 3rd rounder. Their starting RB is a second round pick.

We have practically no one of value that we've drafted. Certainly no 3rd or later picks that have become superstars.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm all for adding some playmakers at RB and a a decent #2, but if you're telling me Kliff's offense can't work unless we load up on overpriced free agents and 1st round picks, then what's the point of his offense? What's the point of drafting Kyler #1 overall?

That said, I like the idea of going after a premiere IOL, Curtis Samuel, and investing our 1st or second in an RB.

One of the issues with comparing our team to either KC or TB is that we've consistently failed at drafting. KC's stars in Kelce and Hill? 3rd and 5th round picks, respectively.

TB is a little different, but their star WRs are both draft picks, and Godwin was a 3rd rounder. Their starting RB is a second round pick.

We have practically no one of value that we've drafted. Certainly no 3rd or later picks that have become superstars.
Drafting a RB in the 1st round is actually stupid as hell, but I agree with everything else here.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Drafting a RB in the 1st round is actually stupid as hell, but I agree with everything else here.
I'm not really advocating a 1st round RB, but if we're looking at reaching for the 4th best CB/WR/etc., vs. taking a Najee Harris in a slight trade back, I'm not going to flip out.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not really advocating a 1st round RB, but if we're looking at reaching for the 4th best CB/WR/etc., vs. taking a Najee Harris in a slight trade back, I'm not going to flip out.
I’m still taking the 4th best CB(Eric Stokes) over Najee or Etienne.

CB is just a significantly more valuable position than RB. Almost every position is.

BPA within value >>>>> just BPA.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m still taking the 4th best CB(Eric Stokes) over Najee or Etienne.

CB is just a significantly more valuable position than RB. Almost every position is.

BPA within value >>>>> just BPA.

Right up until we can't puch it from the 1 or convert a 4th an 1.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Guys like you make me laugh. You know what makes systems work? Talent. You need talent to win in the NFL and right now we are lacking that.

so keep sitting back thinking running better route trees are going to get mediocre WR open in today’s NFL.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We should have drafted Wirfs. We could have had an elite RT (potential LT down the road) for the next 15 years.

As far as weapons. Keim had the right idea in 2019, but just whiffed hard on execution and process. I still have hope for Andy/KJ (maybe new wr coach helps), but in a draft loaded with super talented WRs we didnt get any one of them.

Last edited:

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Guys like you make me laugh. You know what makes systems work? Talent. You need talent to win in the NFL and right now we are lacking that.

so keep sitting back thinking running better route trees are going to get mediocre WR open in today’s NFL.
DeMarus Robinson didnt have a catch yesterday and I legit think he'd challenge to be our #2 WR.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

You know most NFL teams get "talent" from good drafting, not overpaying in free agency and trades, right? You know we provided Kliff with 4 young WRs and possibly the best WR in the league, and he hasn't done enough to win with them, right?

I mean, all your comment is proving is that Keim sucks terribly, and Kliff is nothing special, lacking the ability to coach up players.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree we need more weapons on offense. Here would be my offensive offseason plan.

1. You sign THE BEST Interior O-lineman that you can get in FA. It should be our top priority and it can be a OC or an OG. This could be Linley at C, or Thuney at OG...maybe someone else is available, but we should land a stud. It would be great to land 2, but lets be realistic...just go get the best interior lineman.

Your line would then be DJ, Pugh, Galliard, Thuney, Jones for example. That should be an improvement over last year if Jones is half decent.

2. You sign a quality Veteran WR that can come in and be a playmaker. I also like Curtis Samuel, but it could be someone else. Christian Kirk has to be the 3rd best WR on the team going into the draft.

3. You sign a decent, veteran RB to potentially be the 2nd guy (since Eno is apparently not so great).

You go into the draft having adding all that and then you look for a chance to add another playmaker in the draft. If BPA and the draft fall a certain way and so forth....you definitely add another pass catcher at 16 if you can. I would argue a WR is a necessity at some point in the draft since Kirk will be gone after this year....so you might as well add a blue chipper. Jamaar Chase or Pitts...maybe another WR if we really like them...they would add a lot to this offense.

If you can add a RB somewhere in rounds 2-4...someone who can at least split carries with Chase next year, then its another win. My pick would be Gainwell in the 3rd.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We should have drafted Wirfs. We could have had an elite RT (potential LT down the road) for the next 15 years.

As far as weapons. Keim had the right idea in 2019, but just whiffed hard on execution and process. I still have hope for Andy/KJ (maybe new wr coach helps), but in a draft loaded with super talented WRs we didnt get anyone of them.
K1 been posting a lot of Wirfs stuff on Twitter lately. Not sure if its message to front office or his good friends with Wirfs but don't remember him doing that for Lamb

Update: Got to be shot @ front office. His posting Wirfs PFF grades & video of him shutting down Cam Jordan. I don't see anything online about them been close friends

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
K1 been posting a lot of Wirfs stuff on Twitter lately. Not sure if its message to front office or his good friends with Wirfs but don't remember him doing that for Lamb

Update: Got to be shot @ front office. His posting Wirfs PFF grades & video of him shutting down Cam Jordan. I don't see anything online about them been close friends

Its a clear message to keim
he wants a a better offensive line

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Good because Kylers strength is the long ball, you need a oline that can maintain its pass pro the Pugh/Cole failed at that dramatically at critical points throughout the season

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Protection, protection , protection

If Kyler gets nicked up at all he’s toast as a runner. Tankathon has us taking Darrisaw.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I can't shake the thought that the WR problem lies with our coaching not bringing them along. Training, especially in the route running department, is sorely lacking, imo. They just don't seem to get much separation a lot of times, especially when jammed at OL. If you can't do that you put your QB is a world of hurt. You hope they can learn a lot more by just watching and training with Hopkins.

But as I always say, "What do I know?"

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose