Detroit Lions are hilarious

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Dan Campbell????? Really???? LOL. This type of crap does not work in the NFL.

This is from his press conference:

"Here's what I do know. This team is going to take on the identity of this city and this city has been down and it found a way to get up. It's found a way to overcome adversity, right? So this team is going to be built on, we're going to kick you in the teeth, right? And when you punch us back, we're going to smile at you. And when you knock us down, we're going to get up and on the way up, we're going to bite a kneecap off. All right? And we're going to stand up and it's going to take two more shots to knock us down. And on the way up, we're going to take your other kneecap and we're going to get up and it's going to take three shots to get us down. And when we do, we're going to take another hunk out of you.

"Before long, we're going to be the last one standing. That's going to be the mentality."

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dan Campbell????? Really???? LOL. This type of crap does not work in the NFL.

This is from his press conference:

"Here's what I do know. This team is going to take on the identity of this city and this city has been down and it found a way to get up. It's found a way to overcome adversity, right? So this team is going to be built on, we're going to kick you in the teeth, right? And when you punch us back, we're going to smile at you. And when you knock us down, we're going to get up and on the way up, we're going to bite a kneecap off. All right? And we're going to stand up and it's going to take two more shots to knock us down. And on the way up, we're going to take your other kneecap and we're going to get up and it's going to take three shots to get us down. And when we do, we're going to take another hunk out of you.

"Before long, we're going to be the last one standing. That's going to be the mentality."

An aggressive mindset does not work in the NFL?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Right now that mentality sounds a lot better to me than "look good, play good." Or, "If we lose a game, I change up what I did that day, like if I eat something that day I will not eat the same thing again the next game day." Or "Friend request from a cute girl is an automatic follow." All KK quotes.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He has heart, which looks better than Kliff.

Adversity will test him but if you aren't a technical coach, you better be able to "rally the troops"

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
The Cardinals pulled their current coach out of the Texas Tech dumpster.

OP
OP
Syracusecards

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
that type of crap works in college when the players are only there for four years and buy into all the manly rah rah bs because they’re kids. these are professional adult fully grown athletes. They might buy into it for a year but it will wear thin very quickly.

I am not comparing him to KK. Just laughing at the Lions for making such a Lions hire.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
The Cardinals pulled their current coach out of the Texas Tech dumpster.

I think it is time we stop bashing our own coach. Doesn't loyalty and support mean anything anymore? We wouldn't bash our parents or our president, would we? Be thankful for what and who we have, remembering it could always be a lot worse.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is time we stop bashing our own coach. Doesn't loyalty and support mean anything anymore? We wouldn't bash our parents or our president, would we? Be thankful for what and who we have, remembering it could always be a lot worse.

where have you been the last 4 years? Lol

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that type of crap works in college when the players are only there for four years and buy into all the manly rah rah bs because they’re kids. these are professional adult fully grown athletes. They might buy into it for a year but it will wear thin very quickly.

I am not comparing him to KK. Just laughing at the Lions for making such a Lions hire.

This is silly. We can debate the merit of the hire based on experience and more but to undervalue a coach because he "has a touch mindset" is comical. sorry.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most players these days don’t have the Richie Incognito type of personality where they want to decapitate the opponent. I bet they tune this guy out my Mid November.

I'd rather a coach that is tough and aggressive than a soft one that allows cell phone breaks. it's quite a small thing to focus on though.

TK421

Veteran
Reaction score
Detroit might be hilarious, but yet they beat us last time we played them. Let that sink in.

OP
OP
Syracusecards

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I'd rather a coach that is tough and aggressive than a soft one that allows cell phone breaks. it's quite a small thing to focus on though.
it all depends. Mike Singletary was very similar in his approach to Dan Campbell but he was a horrible coach. I’m not endorsing Kliff either. I want him gone.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it all depends. Mike Singletary was very similar in his approach to Dan Campbell but he was a horrible coach. I’m not endorsing Kliff either. I want him gone.
Thats because Singletary was a poor coach. Not because of his personality.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Most players these days don’t have the Richie Incognito type of personality where they want to decapitate the opponent. I bet they tune this guy out my Mid November.

You would surprised, the NFL just fines everyone for everything and the rules make it so linebackers and defensive backs cant do their thing in the passing game

OP
OP
Syracusecards

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Thats because Singletary was a poor coach. Not because of his personality.
I’m guessing he lost some players respect when he dropped his pants to prove a point. Behavior also factors in. That’s why Todd Haley can’t keep a job.

long_season

Veteran
Reaction score

I am not comparing him to KK. Just laughing at the Lions for making such a Lions hire.[/

I believed the same thing about carol... he has done much better than I expected..maybe cause it was his second go. One of those things where it has to be successful quickly...I guess. Can say I am getting tired of the head coach churn... see if Kingsbury can learn...I mean who thought Tomlin was going to be there for 14 years....? Look at belicheck... got submarined a bit by players outing out but... will be interesting to see if he recovers next year.

OP
OP
Syracusecards

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I believed the same thing about carol... he has done much better than I expected..maybe cause it was his second go. One of those things where it has to be successful quickly...I guess. Can say I am getting tired of the head coach churn... see if Kingsbury can learn...I mean who thought Tomlin was going to be there for 14 years....? Look at belicheck... got submarined a bit by players outing out but... will be interesting to see if he recovers next year.
Pete Carol is energetic but positive. The drill sergeant/take no prisoners approach wears thin quicker. I have to say though, if Russell Wilson wasn’t Seattle’s quarterback, I don’t know how long Carol would’ve lasted. Wilson is his mouthpiece.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Your kidding yourself. Every player on an nfl defense wants to take someone’s head off... they don’t want to end a career but to ring a guys bell so hard he has to sit out a couple plays is still a source of pride for these guys.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Pete Carol is energetic but positive. The drill sergeant/take no prisoners approach wears thin quicker. I have to say though, if Russell Wilson wasn’t Seattle’s quarterback, I don’t know how long Carol would’ve lasted. Wilson is his mouthpiece.

Carroll is very energetic, very enthusiastic, he's frequently "fired up" about one thing or another, but he also is hyper competitive and has a very clear vision

I was skeptical of the hire, but his early press conferences provided some calm and he wasn't talking about biting knee caps

He was clearly laying out his vision

One of those is that you have to have a QB - they cycled a few and let them compete for it, Hass transitioning to a group that included Jackson, Whitehurst, Flynn and Wilson

Carroll let them all compete until he found his guy - even in that he was criticized at first for saying Wilson would be in the competition from the first rookie camp to keeping the competition at 3 through the early preseason with equal practice reps when it was clear Jackson wouldn't be winning it

In the early part he was linked to every USC guy that became available - the big talk of that 2010 draft was Seattle grabbing Taylor Mays, Earl Thomas wasn't on the radar

Other USC guys who didn't complete got cut

Guys like TJ Houshmandzadeh who tried to big time a little bit got cut, guys like Mike Williams who couldn't stay focused to work got cut. They traded for LenDale White at the desert and cut him before OTAs finished.

It is a pretty cutthroat environment. People confuse giving players latitude to be expressive, communicative, music playing, etc means it's a non-structured players run the show environment - it's not.

It's Pete's show and expectations and demands are high

These are some of his quotes from his first press conference - for better or worse this is still a big part of the philosophy today

"You're only judged by perfection ... I hope that it can be done better than it's ever been done before around (Seattle) ... I love setting our standards so high that maybe it doesn't even seem feasible and that's okay with me."

"As a defensive background guy, knowing we can call on the 12th man on third down, we need to take advantage. We need to make sure that we speed this thing up on the edge."

"If you watch our team play, you're gonna see great effort. If you watch our team you're gonna see great enthusiasm. We're gonna play this game the way it's supposed to be played, like you love the game of football."

"I wanna see a very, very tough football team. From the word 'Go' .. And I want you to see a team that plays smart."

"It would be wrong for me not to mention that in our football .. We have to run the football to be successful, in our division first, and in the NFL ... It'll effect defense, it'll effect passing game, it'll help our quarterback ... You'll know more about that in the days to come, you'll understand what I'm talking about."

"We have to embrace and understand the fact that the way you practice is what makes you ... It is what gives you the chance to be a champion from now on ... Fundamentals ... "

"This program is about competition. You'll see in all aspects of the work that we do that we will be in a relentless pursuit of a competitive edge in everything we're doing."

"That is one of the key elements ... you gotta have a quarterback."

Over the years it's honed more - it's all about the ball, can only win in the 4th quarter, always compete, have to execute and control the ball, have to run effectively, have to play with toughness and versatility, have to take the top off a defense

He's hardwired into his philosophy to the point where it's almost stubborn when it isn't working or playing to the current strengths and circumstances

He doesn't rah rah or just cheerlead - he'll fluff players and position groups for sure, but it's too help keep the energy high so they can get back to working towards goals

Not the perfect coach, but I was happy to be wrong about him and the culture and thoughts of the organization have been reshaped

Can Campbell do that in Detroit? Who knows. I'd love to see a competitive Lions team over a competitive GB team.

I think it's fine to want to change how people think about your city and your organization - I think it's fine to talk about toughness...... But tough alone is not a philosophy of a plan and you'll have a lot of tough

Tough also needs to be how you approach the hard stuff within the organization, deal with the misfires, make the hard decisions and the work to find the little competitive edges

We'll see how the work compares to the talk

OP
OP
Syracusecards

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Carroll is very energetic, very enthusiastic, he's frequently "fired up" about one thing or another, but he also is hyper competitive and has a very clear vision

I was skeptical of the hire, but his early press conferences provided some calm and he wasn't talking about biting knee caps

He was clearly laying out his vision

One of those is that you have to have a QB - they cycled a few and let them compete for it, Hass transitioning to a group that included Jackson, Whitehurst, Flynn and Wilson

Carroll let them all compete until he found his guy - even in that he was criticized at first for saying Wilson would be in the competition from the first rookie camp to keeping the competition at 3 through the early preseason with equal practice reps when it was clear Jackson wouldn't be winning it

In the early part he was linked to every USC guy that became available - the big talk of that 2010 draft was Seattle grabbing Taylor Mays, Earl Thomas wasn't on the radar

Other USC guys who didn't complete got cut

Guys like TJ Houshmandzadeh who tried to big time a little bit got cut, guys like Mike Williams who couldn't stay focused to work got cut. They traded for LenDale White at the desert and cut him before OTAs finished.

It is a pretty cutthroat environment. People confuse giving players latitude to be expressive, communicative, music playing, etc means it's a non-structured players run the show environment - it's not.

It's Pete's show and expectations and demands are high

These are some of his quotes from his first press conference - for better or worse this is still a big part of the philosophy today

Over the years it's honed more - it's all about the ball, can only win in the 4th quarter, always compete, have to execute and control the ball, have to run effectively, have to play with toughness and versatility, have to take the top off a defense

He's hardwired into his philosophy to the point where it's almost stubborn when it isn't working or playing to the current strengths and circumstances

He doesn't rah rah or just cheerlead - he'll fluff players and position groups for sure, but it's too help keep the energy high so they can get back to working towards goals

Not the perfect coach, but I was happy to be wrong about him and the culture and thoughts of the organization have been reshaped

Can Campbell do that in Detroit? Who knows. I'd love to see a competitive Lions team over a competitive GB team.

I think it's fine to want to change how people think about your city and your organization - I think it's fine to talk about toughness...... But tough alone is not a philosophy of a plan and you'll have a lot of tough

Tough also needs to be how you approach the hard stuff within the organization, deal with the misfires, make the hard decisions and the work to find the little competitive edges

We'll see how the work compares to the talk

wow, you know your Seahawks! Great insight and I appreciate the quotes. He at least has substance in what he’s saying.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose