CP3 vs Rubio

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did we see even a single good PF move in the offseason that we would’ve wanted?

gallinari? Not for that $$$
Tristan Thompson? Meh
Jeremy grant? Maybe but I wasn’t sold on him.
Christian wood? More a center
Covington? A maybe
Ibaka? Maybe if we way overpaid
Harrell? Backup center
Markieff? LOL
Portis? Maybe but not sure I’d want him

These are the only players that we KNOW were available in trade or FA as they’re the only ones that moved.

man... I just took a look at Jerami Grant’s stats for the year. He’s going nuts for Detroit at 25/6/3, shooting 40% from 3 and 46% overall. Not that it’s helped them win all that much, but he is freaking balling.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
man... I just took a look at Jerami Grant’s stats for the year. He’s going nuts for Detroit at 25/6/3, shooting 40% from 3 and 46% overall. Not that it’s helped them win all that much, but he is freaking balling.
For sure, Grant has become a star. But nobody knew that would happen. And he was a FA, right? So a trade exception doesn’t matter with him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And Grant wanted to be The Man somewhere, which is why he left Denver. He wouldn't be getting those touches here and likely wouldn't have been Interested in signing here to be a 3rd option, which is what he was in Denver.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Thats the way the entire NBA is now. Its a players league. Even teams like Houston, who bent over backwards for Harden, don't call the shots.
And who do we have to thank for that. Oh look its the head of the players union CP3. lol

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have to say I have been disappointed in Paul. I thought he was on the decline, but it seems like the decline has accelerated.

I am sure his leadership and experience has helped but his play on the court has been far from all star level.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It's too early to judge CP3. Definitely disappointing so far, but it's a big change for everyone. I think it will take them a few more game to figure each other out.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have to say I have been disappointed in Paul. I thought he was on the decline, but it seems like the decline has accelerated.

I am sure his leadership and experience has helped but his play on the court has been far from all star level.

It's too early to judge CP3. Definitely disappointing so far, but it's a big change for everyone. I think it will take them a few more game to figure each other out.

Booker has been more disappointing imo. He's younger and should be in his prime, the thing is his 3pt % doesn't look like it'll ever be elite. His turnovers just have me scratching my head. He lets his ego get the best of him with opposing players and with referees. He's not been great at the free throw line too. Now the hammy, he's had a hammy issue or two in the past iirc.

Right now there's just a lot of moving pieces around booker: teammates, questionable coaching decisions, the Kardashians and now the injury to add to lack of continuity.

OP
OP
itlnsunsfan

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Paul is currently posting career lows in all efficiency and impact categories such as PER, WS, BPM, VORP, etc.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
OKC last season was 6-11 to start the year and ended up as the 5th seed in the playoffs. I feel like inserting a player of CP3’s stature is an adjustment as evidenced by how long it took for him to build chemistry with Ayton on the floor.

There’s no question that CP3 is the better player between him and Rubio. I get the frustration, but with a disjointed offseason and no opportunity to build rapport with the team, this is the best we have. I’m not concerned.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched Rubio last night against the Warriors. Hard to judge they're so young it's tough but they were much better with him OFF the floor and Jordan McLaughlin running the point. The Warriors announcers were just raving about JM they were joking about a mid game trade for him to the Warriors.

At one point Azabuike said 10 years in and still shooting 37% I think it's fair to say that's just who Rubio is.

Still a good player, plays D and can run a team but too bad he never got the shooting part down.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched Rubio last night against the Warriors. Hard to judge they're so young it's tough but they were much better with him OFF the floor and Jordan McLaughlin running the point. The Warriors announcers were just raving about JM they were joking about a mid game trade for him to the Warriors.

At one point Azabuike said 10 years in and still shooting 37% I think it's fair to say that's just who Rubio is.

Still a good player, plays D and can run a team but too bad he never got the shooting part down.

Some players fit better on different teams. I liked what Rubio brought to the Suns. He might play better on a veteran team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some players fit better on different teams. I liked what Rubio brought to the Suns. He might play better on a veteran team.

Agreed. The only take on the T wolves is they would be a to 10 team in college hoops. They're so young, they play hard for Saunders and I like Edwards and I always loved Malik Beasley and he was terrific last night. They just aren't ready to compete with NBA teams. They played really hard, they cut the lead to I think 8 in the 4th quarter. Kerr put Steph back in the next 19 for the W's Steph had 16 of them and had the assist on the other 3 off a steal by Looney. I think it was a 19-4 run something like that. The whole game you knew the W's would win, Wolves just aren't good enough they play hard but you knew it was impossible for them to actually win. They didn't have Russell or KAT of course.

Edwards had a big dunk over Wiseman, very impressive although man is he selfish right now.

Warriors are now starting Looney over Wiseman trying to get off to better starts, it's interesting Wiseman in 16 mins had 13 points 5 boards 2 blocks a huge putback dunk, Looney in 19 had 2 points 5 boards, but the W's were clearly better with Looney on the court he just knows where to be all the time. The one big concern with Wiseman is hands, still doesn't cleanly catch rebounds and passes as often as you'd like, he's clearly very talented has a bright future and seemed just fine coming off the bench.

They had Chriss on during the telecast talking with the reporters, says his rehab is going well, misses the guys actually playing wiht them at least. Said for the first time in his career he feels like he's found a spot he belongs with. He is a totally different player and person than when he entered the league, he's matured, he's finally happy etc. Still only 23 I think they said, amazing Looney is only 24, he looks like he's in his 30's now. At one point Chriss commented that he loves the C rotation of Wiseman 19, Looney 24 and myself when I can play again so he at least seems to think he's secure there next year. Right now Paschall plays those minutes I have to say it won't be easy for Chriss to get those minutes back the way Paschall is playing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. The only take on the T wolves is they would be a to 10 team in college hoops. They're so young, they play hard for Saunders and I like Edwards and I always loved Malik Beasley and he was terrific last night. They just aren't ready to compete with NBA teams. They played really hard, they cut the lead to I think 8 in the 4th quarter. Kerr put Steph back in the next 19 for the W's Steph had 16 of them and had the assist on the other 3 off a steal by Looney. I think it was a 19-4 run something like that. The whole game you knew the W's would win, Wolves just aren't good enough they play hard but you knew it was impossible for them to actually win. They didn't have Russell or KAT of course.

Edwards had a big dunk over Wiseman, very impressive although man is he selfish right now.

Warriors are now starting Looney over Wiseman trying to get off to better starts, it's interesting Wiseman in 16 mins had 13 points 5 boards 2 blocks a huge putback dunk, Looney in 19 had 2 points 5 boards, but the W's were clearly better with Looney on the court he just knows where to be all the time. The one big concern with Wiseman is hands, still doesn't cleanly catch rebounds and passes as often as you'd like, he's clearly very talented has a bright future and seemed just fine coming off the bench.

They had Chriss on during the telecast talking with the reporters, says his rehab is going well, misses the guys actually playing wiht them at least. Said for the first time in his career he feels like he's found a spot he belongs with. He is a totally different player and person than when he entered the league, he's matured, he's finally happy etc. Still only 23 I think they said, amazing Looney is only 24, he looks like he's in his 30's now. At one point Chriss commented that he loves the C rotation of Wiseman 19, Looney 24 and myself when I can play again so he at least seems to think he's secure there next year. Right now Paschall plays those minutes I have to say it won't be easy for Chriss to get those minutes back the way Paschall is playing.

I can see why the Warriors start Looney. He is a very physically mature player. The last time I saw him play I had to double check to make sure I had the right player. He looked so big on the court.

Wiseman will be a good one but rookies are going to be rookies. He plays well for a 19 year old.

We will get a closeup look at the Warriors and Suns on Thursday. Suns are not playing well. They will need to change course or it will be another long season.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
CP3 is a better scorer and one of the best clutch players in the NBA. I think I saw a stat a year or two ago that said that he averaged more points or 2nd most points in the NBA in the 4th qtr. Rubio is mostly a distributor and isn't much of a leader on the court. CP3 demands greatness and is a net positive everywhere he goes, and is a HoF already. Rubio? Not so much

OP
OP
itlnsunsfan

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
CP3 is a better scorer and one of the best clutch players in the NBA. I think I saw a stat a year or two ago that said that he averaged more points or 2nd most points in the NBA in the 4th qtr. Rubio is mostly a distributor and isn't much of a leader on the court. CP3 demands greatness and is a net positive everywhere he goes, and is a HoF already. Rubio? Not so much

Yes, historically. The problem so far is that he has not continued that historical production here, posting virtually identical numbers to Rubio last season. And his clutch numbers have been bad. Hopefully that improves. It's only been 15 games. I do think it will improve.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I somewhat agree with both takes.

Rubio was a good fit in Phoenix and he makes less sense in Minnesota. But even as a Sun, he was an average, maybe a slightly above average starter and no more.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I somewhat agree with both takes.

Rubio was a good fit in Phoenix and he makes less sense in Minnesota. But even as a Sun, he was an average, maybe a slightly above average starter and no more.

I like what Chris Paul brings to the Suns. He has shown he knows how to win games. Still I often think what could have been with Rubio, Haliburton and Payne.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
OKC received a $14.4 million trade exception and a first round pick from the Warriors when they traded Oubre. The Suns could have done something like this as well.

That was more of a virtual 1st rounder, since it is top20 protected and if it doesn't convey in 2021, then it will become MIN 2021 2nd rounder. Since I don't really see that Warriors securing home-court advantage (that is more or less what is needed to aovid protection), the probable return for Oubre is 2 2nd rounders which is more that nothing but a lot of people (including me) probably overestimated Oubre's value.

If his value is 2 2nd rounders, Oubre, #10 for #2 was refused in a heartbeat by the Warriors.

About the Paul-trade: I never was a fan, but he obviously is on another planet as a scorer than Rubio was. I guess that he is also a better/more athletic defender.

Whether that justifies taking over more than two times of Rubio's salary plus sacrifiyng some additional assets, we will see. The DAL game was a good sign. Otherwise I think that we were better with Paul on the floor compared to Rubio, but the difference wasn't huge.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was more of a virtual 1st rounder, since it is top20 protected and if it doesn't convey in 2021, then it will become MIN 2021 2nd rounder. Since I don't really see that Warriors securing home-court advantage (that is more or less what is needed to aovid protection), the probable return for Oubre is 2 2nd rounders which is more that nothing but a lot of people (including me) probably overestimated Oubre's value.

If his value is 2 2nd rounders, Oubre, #10 for #2 was refused in a heartbeat by the Warriors.

About the Paul-trade: I never was a fan, but he obviously is on another planet as a scorer than Rubio was. I guess that he is also a better/more athletic defender.

Whether that justifies taking over more than two times of Rubio's salary plus sacrifiyng some additional assets, we will see. The DAL game was a good sign. Otherwise I think that we were better with Paul on the floor compared to Rubio, but the difference wasn't huge.

I don't think Oubre and #10 for the Warriors #2 was on the table either. There were rumors to that effect but I think that's what they were.

Since it seems the Suns were intent to trade Oubre, a $14.4 trade exception plus second rounders would still have been a nice return.

I do think Rubio, Haliburton and Payne would have set the Suns up nicely for the future at point guard.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A big difference is how the team plays without Booker. Last year if Booker was out, you could practically pencil in the loss once that was announced. This year, with CP3, the game isn't a loss until its over. That's a big change and depending on how much time Devin misses this year, it could be huge for the team.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I think that difference is becoming closer to huge.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose