2020-21 Around the NBA Thread

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's great to see Oubre get it going for the Warriors shooting 9-18 for 23 points, 2 blocks, 2 steals and 4 rebounds.

Warriors are now 7-6.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I assume it's just coincidence but right around the time Oubre's name is in multiple trade rumors, including the LaVine one I posted, he starts making shots. I think it's actually simpler than that, he's taking the shots he can make. He can make corner 3's and he can make 3's dead on but the angle 3's especially from the right he seems terrible at. This year even the corner 3's he's been awful and it looks like last year he was terrible from the left corner but pretty good from the right corner. But it seems like they've figured out where they want him to shoot from and where they don't so it's a matter of getting the right shots maybe is helping. The Lakers were daring him to take the corner 3's last night but he made enough it paid off for the Warriors.

I don't see any way the Warriors will remotely give up near what the LaVine rumors are saying and again I know he's not a star but I get the impression Kerr will NOT want to give up Paschall I think he realizes what a huge mismatch he is on that 2nd unit very few teams have anybody who is big and strong enough that can stay with him and smaller guys he overpowers. I don't know if people saw it but twice last night he finished through LeBron, on one of them he finished through LeBron with Harrell there too. He's a beast and he's got a very quick first step and they're really feasting on it with him in that 2nd unit.

I still don't know if I trust Zach to buy in on defense anyways but I do see why they would be interested, teams are just loading up on Steph.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I assume it's just coincidence but right around the time Oubre's name is in multiple trade rumors, including the LaVine one I posted, he starts making shots. I think it's actually simpler than that, he's taking the shots he can make. He can make corner 3's and he can make 3's dead on but the angle 3's especially from the right he seems terrible at. This year even the corner 3's he's been awful and it looks like last year he was terrible from the left corner but pretty good from the right corner. But it seems like they've figured out where they want him to shoot from and where they don't so it's a matter of getting the right shots maybe is helping. The Lakers were daring him to take the corner 3's last night but he made enough it paid off for the Warriors.

I don't see any way the Warriors will remotely give up near what the LaVine rumors are saying and again I know he's not a star but I get the impression Kerr will NOT want to give up Paschall I think he realizes what a huge mismatch he is on that 2nd unit very few teams have anybody who is big and strong enough that can stay with him and smaller guys he overpowers. I don't know if people saw it but twice last night he finished through LeBron, on one of them he finished through LeBron with Harrell there too. He's a beast and he's got a very quick first step and they're really feasting on it with him in that 2nd unit.

I still don't know if I trust Zach to buy in on defense anyways but I do see why they would be interested, teams are just loading up on Steph.

I think it simply took Oubre time to figure out where to play in the Warriors system. He always brings the effort even when he is not shooting well.

I can see where the Warriors might want LaVine but I think there will be good trades later on towards the trade deadline. All the Warriors need to do is stay in the chase for a playoff spot.

Agree about Paschall. He could really help a team like the Suns. He is tough to handle.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Wizards-Bucks game has been postponed for Friday.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's one game and just over a half of one game but James Wiseman is looking like a young David Robinson tonight against the Spurs. Offensively, not on defense yet but my goodness 14 points several dunks, making his FT's running the court etc. I was very skeptical on him but I get it now. The amazing thing he is only 3 months older than Evan Mobley the kid at USC that was at one point the top rated kid in his class. If you see them physically Wiseman looks so much bigger and filled out.

The Spurs are playing a box and one on Curry, 2nd time this year at least, Indiana did it too.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Grizzlies next three games have been postponed.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love NBA but maybe honestly they should go to bubble again after a short delay

With travelling airports this will be regular occurrence....

Happened to suns already

The bubble has been proven safe. Or perhaps NBA teams should spend money on charter flights and private buses. Some of it they may already do.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Russ Smith

I thought you might enjoy this.

That was my optimistic comment early on when they looked really bad, i would not panic until Draymond was back and in shape and he has made a big improvement in the defense.

They still have lots of issues but they are much better now than a month ago. I like the direction

I also love kerr he's just a likable guy. IN the Laker win there was a play where LeBron clearly walked, they called it and then he complained. Then he walked again and got called and screamed at KCP saying you should have taken that shot instead of passing to me and I walked. Down the other end Draymond stepped on a Lakers foot and in the process he walked before making the shot, and then LeBron after the game whined I got called for it but Green does it and they don't call it and suggested the NBA has an agenda.

So last night a Spur player blatantly walked in front of the Warrior bench, like 4 steps, he went to pass saw a defender and just took 2 more steps. he knew it was a walk too but the ref didn't call it and they scored. After the inbounds Kerr got a T for going after the ref. After the game they asked him about it and he said some subtle comment about how he thought it was better to complain in the game and get a T than wait until after the game and complain on Twitter. Poke the bear!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stretching out the NBA season could be a possibility if the Tokyo Olympics is cancelled. This appears to be an undecided issue.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rockets are trading for Kevin Porter Jr. from Cleveland.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alex Len signs with Wizards after clearing waivers.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The value of Draymond. Running downcourt last night he is yelling at a teammate, the ref hears it calls a T which is his 2nd and he's ejected. Kerr asks if he can challenge a T because in a nearly empty arena the whole bench could hear Draymond and knew he was telling a teammate off, not the ref. Warriors without Green fall apart in 2nd half get hammered by Knickks(very good defensive team).

After the game Kerr revealed that at halftime the refs had admitted to him they discussed it and agreed it was a mistake. Green had tried to pass to Wiseman but Wiseman cut instead of holding position so the pass was stolen. Green was yelling at Wiseman downcourt to hold his position, the ref thought he was yelling at him and T #2 meant ejection. Not the first time that's happened of course but it's odd because from what Kerr said, at least one of the refs knew right away Green was yelling at Wiseman so why they didn't get together and overturn it then I have no idea.

Reputation hurt him on that one for Draymond.

We had a Nico Mannion sighting he actually played fairly well, had some nice assists, played hard.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The value of Draymond. Running downcourt last night he is yelling at a teammate, the ref hears it calls a T which is his 2nd and he's ejected. Kerr asks if he can challenge a T because in a nearly empty arena the whole bench could hear Draymond and knew he was telling a teammate off, not the ref. Warriors without Green fall apart in 2nd half get hammered by Knickks(very good defensive team).

After the game Kerr revealed that at halftime the refs had admitted to him they discussed it and agreed it was a mistake. Green had tried to pass to Wiseman but Wiseman cut instead of holding position so the pass was stolen. Green was yelling at Wiseman downcourt to hold his position, the ref thought he was yelling at him and T #2 meant ejection. Not the first time that's happened of course but it's odd because from what Kerr said, at least one of the refs knew right away Green was yelling at Wiseman so why they didn't get together and overturn it then I have no idea.

Reputation hurt him on that one for Draymond.

We had a Nico Mannion sighting he actually played fairly well, had some nice assists, played hard.

Seems like that was a correctable mistake. I would think the referees could remove the second technical.

As you indicate, the referees knew it at halftime.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like that was a correctable mistake. I would think the referees could remove the second technical.

As you indicate, the referees knew it at halftime.

The dumb thing is Kerr apparently said when the refs told him one of them knew it at the time, but for whatever reason they didn't have a meeting and overturn it, they let the ref who called the T stick with it. He said Draymond had been doing it the whole half so he thought he earned it even if he was on that one yelling at Wiseman. Then at the half they discussed and decided that was unfair so they told Kerr.

I get the he does it all the time, he does, but if you know you gave him a T and your own fellow ref says he was yelling at a teammate, you should overturn it right then.

It was really odd the entire 2nd half you had Warriors players arguing everything because they were mad. Bazemore should have been tossed he did get a T but he was arguing nonstop the 2nd half when in because they were all mad about the Draymond ejection. The Knicks play that sort of water torture foul nonstop defense and the refs called lots of fouls in the first half and destroyed the game. There were 80 FT's shot, 41 for Knicks, 39 for Warriors. The combo of Robinson and Noel as rim protectors is really tough

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And what causes Draymonds first technical? Sure, it sucks he got whistled for.something like that but I feel the whole story isn't.being told since it takes 2 to eject someone. Green needs to control his temper more.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And what causes Draymonds first technical? Sure, it sucks he got whistled for.something like that but I feel the whole story isn't.being told since it takes 2 to eject someone. Green needs to control his temper more.

his first T was for arguing with a ref in the first quarter. Again I said he already had one, that's not the point. The point is the ref knew when he called the 2nd one, it meant ejection. So to then admit at the half that at least one of the refs knew Green was yelling at a teammate, not the ref who called the T, was bad.

Draymond yells at refs, we all know it, he's going to get T's legitimately that he earns, he should not get ejected from a game because he was telling Wiseman not to do something and the ref assumed he's yelling at me.

Yes he needs to control his temper, but that doesn't mean the ref didn't screw up and more to the point all the refs did because apparently one of them knew at the time he wasn't yelling at the ref

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
his first T was for arguing with a ref in the first quarter. Again I said he already had one, that's not the point. The point is the ref knew when he called the 2nd one, it meant ejection. So to then admit at the half that at least one of the refs knew Green was yelling at a teammate, not the ref who called the T, was bad.

Draymond yells at refs, we all know it, he's going to get T's legitimately that he earns, he should not get ejected from a game because he was telling Wiseman not to do something and the ref assumed he's yelling at me.

Yes he needs to control his temper, but that doesn't mean the ref didn't screw up and more to the point all the refs did because apparently one of them knew at the time he wasn't yelling at the ref
Good lesson in reforming your reputation.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good lesson in reforming your reputation.

Again I get that. The claim right now is that the NBA is going to rescind the Technical, if they do that's an admission it was a mistake. But it had an impact on the game.

The guy who called the T is a first year ref, after the game Monte Poole a Bay Area reporter did some official report where he asked about the T, apparently the report gets submitted to the NBA for backing. He asked him why the T, he used profanity at the ref(the ref talking to Poole). Were you told he was actually yelling at his teammate. Yes we were told that. Did you consider rescinding the technical after being told that "no we did not."

Draymond will probably get fined again because when told that he said "wow bold privilege." I think he'll get fined for that and he should get fined for it but I also think the refs should learn from this. if a ref admits to Kerr at halftime it was a mistake and I knew it was a mistake at the time, but still didn't overturn it, that's a bad call and something the NBA has to consider how to fix.

Draymond needs to learn to contain his temper, Wiseman is 19, he talks to Draymond all the time they seem to have a great relationship but he also gets yelled at by Green, would be nice if that can change too.

End of the day the Knicks kicked their butts in the 2nd half.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Again I get that. The claim right now is that the NBA is going to rescind the Technical, if they do that's an admission it was a mistake. But it had an impact on the game.

The guy who called the T is a first year ref, after the game Monte Poole a Bay Area reporter did some official report where he asked about the T, apparently the report gets submitted to the NBA for backing. He asked him why the T, he used profanity at the ref(the ref talking to Poole). Were you told he was actually yelling at his teammate. Yes we were told that. Did you consider rescinding the technical after being told that "no we did not."

Draymond will probably get fined again because when told that he said "wow bold privilege." I think he'll get fined for that and he should get fined for it but I also think the refs should learn from this. if a ref admits to Kerr at halftime it was a mistake and I knew it was a mistake at the time, but still didn't overturn it, that's a bad call and something the NBA has to consider how to fix.

Draymond needs to learn to contain his temper, Wiseman is 19, he talks to Draymond all the time they seem to have a great relationship but he also gets yelled at by Green, would be nice if that can change too.

I think refs have consequences. They get graded.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wizards plan to sign Jordan Bell to a 10-day contract.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Yeah, I think Wiseman is going to be a player! They have thrust him in as a starter out of necessity, and as a rookie, he is holding his own. Draymond needs to get more into teacher mode, than yell at another veteran mode. One of two things is going to happen, he might break the kid's spirit, or the kid will just tune him out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First time two female referees will officiate the same NBA game.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First time two female referees will officiate the same NBA game.

The last one that officiated for us during the second nuggets game, ugh she was horrible.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last one that officiated for us during the second nuggets game, ugh she was horrible.

I doubt if it has anything to do with gender though. Lots of bad referees out there.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose