Deandre Ayton discussion

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
Joker gives kudos to Ayton.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ayton played in one game against Denver last year.

Ayton - 28 points, 19 rebounds, 2 assists
Jokic - 23 points, 9 rebounds, 6 assists

This tweet is either worded poorly or incorrect. Jokic was clearly out-played although Denver won 117-108 behind 36 by Murray.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Love the last three games...... Obviously it needs to become the norm but it is very positive to see.

This kid is a walking 22 and 15 every night. He just has to WANT IT.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton played in one game against Denver last year.

Ayton - 28 points, 19 rebounds, 2 assists
Jokic - 23 points, 9 rebounds, 6 assists

This tweet is either worded poorly or incorrect. Jokic was clearly out-played although Denver won 117-108 behind 36 by Murray.

The tweet probably could have been written better. Here are the comments from Jokic.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
Ayton's career stats against Denver - 35.2 Min, 64.2 FG%, 73.9 FT%, 22.0 Pts, 13 Reb, 1.0 Ast, 1.1 Blk

(This includes his first game against Denver, which was a 5-pont, 8-rebound clunker.)

Excluding that first game - 37.1 Min, 66.7 FG%, 73.9 FT%, 24.8 Pts, 13.8 Reb, 1.0 Ast, 1.3 Blk

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
BC, Ayton is never going to be one of these old players we use to see. Its a new game, hell look at Embrid he shoots outside and three pointers half the time. Ayton will be one of these new age centers and that's good for the Suns
As long as he loses his fear of contact. And mixes up his game to include drawing fouls
and getting free throws. And grows into a more consistent scorer.

It is up to him to achieve it and the coaching staff to teach him how.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
This board is just too hard on Ayton. It is his responsibility to improve and it's also the team's to try and instruct & lead him. If anybody needs to be criticized as much it's Frank Kaminsky who played what 18 minutes and rebounded poorly and defends poorly yet nobody condemns or blames him. He just collect a check and he thinks he can mentor Ayton. Patience, coaching, along with some self motivation is what Ayton needs and fire will be there. We got a good one here in Ayton so let's no trade him away so he can flourish somewhere else. I believe he will improve and be very productive. Let's build up and prosper as a Suns team together with the team we have while looking to improve constantly. Remember we had Ryshaun Holmes & Christian Woods

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This board is just too hard on Ayton. It is his responsibility to improve and it's also the team's to try and instruct & lead him. If anybody needs to be criticized as much it's Frank Kaminsky who played what 18 minutes and rebounded poorly and defends poorly yet nobody condemns or blames him. He just collect a check and he thinks he can mentor Ayton. Patience, coaching, along with some self motivation is what Ayton needs and fire will be there. We got a good one here in Ayton so let's no trade him away so he can flourish somewhere else. I believe he will improve and be very productive. Let's build up and prosper as a Suns team together with the team we have while looking to improve constantly. Remember we had Ryshaun Holmes & Christian Woods

Complaining about Frank happens but since he's not relied on as much as Ayton and doesnt make the money or have the expectations that Ayton does it happens much less. There's no use in bagging on an end of the bench backup who is only playing right now because we're missing better players due to the leagues covid tracing and contact guidelines. Why bash someone who makes a 10th of Ayton's salary and sees about 1/3 of his minutes, if not less. He's not in the game when its time to close things out like Ayton should be and generally is, barring Ayton's last.game against Denver when he fouled out.

I do agree that Ayton gets more flack from this board the other Suns fan communities. Im not sure why that is but it is true. Still I believe the vast majority of those hard on Ayton here hope the light comes on, and stays on, for him here in Phoenix rather than he fails and gets dealt. I doubt most want him dealt before absolutely necessary also. By absolutely necessary I mean when he's entering restricted free agency after his 4th season is up and he's demanding max money despite not proving to be a max player on the court, just someone with the athletic potential to be a max player that teases us by showing what he could be every 6 or 7 games.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Frank Kaminsky is like the 13th, 14th, or 15th player on the roster and he makes the minimum salary. Whatever Frank can contribute is a plus.

Ayton gets a lot of criticism when he does not meet expectations but he gets praise when he plays good as well. In a way it's a compliment because he has so much talent. For those who have talent, much is expected. I think most Suns fans want Deandre to succeed and be the player we all hope he can be. He shows signs of being that player.

I'd be thrilled to have Richaum Holmes or Christian Wood back. Holmes backing up Ayton or Wood playing next to him would complement him. Both players would help the Suns a lot. Wish the Suns could have somehow traded for Wood.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There are high expectations for Ayton because Ayton has the talent to meet those expectations. Kaminsky doesnt have the ability to be elite, so there is no point in being critical of this shortcoming, just as there is no point in celebrating him being on the roster. He is not a cornerstone to our franchise. Ayton receives the harsher criticism, but he also receives the greater praise.

Edit: Ya what Mainstreet said.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul and Jevon Carter comment on the play of Deandre Ayton.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton was a nominee for Player of the Week with Nikola Jokic winning it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More interesting stuff on Ayton. He like to play against Jokic and learns from him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what Ayton looks for on film. It's nice to know he is a student of the game.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deandre appreciates constructive criticism.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Ouchie-Z-Clown

I think this is something Suns fans want to hear. Deandre Ayton really cares about his career.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
lol! We’ve finally corrupted you to the darkside, huh Chap?
I think he can be a great player but he played 4 great games in a row and been soft for the past three games. And yet we keep hearing CP3 and Monty talking about that he wants to get better. So the F what?

Frank Kaminsky wants to get better too. Maybe he can be the next Anthony Davis. Because all it is is lip service. I’m just angry that the team is all talk right now.