Nuggets @ Suns Saturday game thread 1-23-2021

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I wonder if Stix would have been better against Jokic once Ayton fouled out. I get that Frank was the safer choice but he was just getting abused out there.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting the Suns league pass might have been the worst decision I’ve ever made... for the board.

it’s been a looooong time since I watched every Suns game, night in, night out. It ain’t fun watching lots of losses. Hoping they get a little healthier and turn this ship around.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Stix would have been better against Jokic once Ayton fouled out. I get that Frank was the safer choice but he was just getting abused out there.

Jokic would have abused Smith physically but his quickness and athleticism might have surprised him.

If we could combine the attributes of Kaminsky and Jones we would be cooking.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Missed calls happen in every game. And stars get benefit of calls. Don’t put yourself in position where crucial one screws you and you don’t get screwed. Frustrating, but nothing outta ordinary day-to-day, year-to-year nba.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Getting the Suns league pass might have been the worst decision I’ve ever made... for the board.

it’s been a looooong time since I watched every Suns game, night in, night out. It ain’t fun watching lots of losses. Hoping they get a little healthier and turn this ship around.
How many wins will get the Suns in the playoffs? I think you should be glad to have it. Even in a loss its some great entertainment.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
How many wins will get the Suns in the playoffs? I think you should be glad to have it. Even in a loss its some great entertainment.
You’re misunderstanding what he’s saying. He’s saying since he got it they’ve started playing poorly. In other words he’s calling himself a jinx.

JerkFace

Reaction score
Missed calls happen in every game. And stars get benefit of calls. Don’t put yourself in position where crucial one screws you and you don’t get screwed. Frustrating, but nothing outta ordinary day-to-day, year-to-year nba.
Completely agree... a call like that will never be made unless it is just ridiculously blatant. With that being said, I still find it interesting that a missed call is the difference between “the Suns won a huge game despite some key players being out” and “the Suns are in a tailspin”.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Completely agree... a call like that will never be made unless it is just ridiculously blatant. With that being said, I still find it interesting that a missed call is the difference between “the Suns won a huge game despite some key players being out” and “the Suns are in a tailspin”.
In a league where ultimately only wins and losses count that’s the way it works. No points for moral victories when you’re at a stage where you expect to compete.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

the play didn’t happen in a vacuum. At the end of the day, it’s another loss and the 6th of 9 games.

JerkFace

Reaction score
In a league where ultimately only wins and losses count that’s the way it works. No points for moral victories when you’re at a stage where you expect to compete.
the play didn’t happen in a vacuum. At the end of the day, it’s another loss and the 6th of 9 games.
Both these responses kind of prove my point that the difference between “the play didn’t happen in a vacuum. At the end of the day, it’s another loss and the 6th of 9 games/No points for moral victories when you’re at a stage where you expect to compete.“ and “the Suns won a huge game with key players being out” was a missed call. I’m not saying that the Suns should or shouldn’t be criticized. I also not disputing that the Suns have been playing less than inspired ball over the last 10 games. I just find it interesting the razor edge that perception can balance on. I’m also not saying that this is just a “Suns fan” thing. Generally in sports, the difference between kings and clowns is surprisingly narrow, which has always intrigued/fascinated me.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Is it the team pass? I signed up last night, but since it was a blacked out home game, I couldn't see it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Both these responses kind of prove my point that the difference between “the play didn’t happen in a vacuum. At the end of the day, it’s another loss and the 6th of 9 games/No points for moral victories when you’re at a stage where you expect to compete.“ and “the Suns won a huge game with key players being out” was a missed call. I’m not saying that the Suns should or shouldn’t be criticized. I also not disputing that the Suns have been playing less than inspired ball over the last 10 games. I just find it interesting the razor edge that perception can balance on. I’m also not saying that this is just a “Suns fan” thing. Generally in sports, the difference between kings and clowns is surprisingly narrow, which has always intrigued/fascinated me.
Technically the Suns did enough to win the game in regulation. It took a cheating missed call to sink us.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it the team pass? I signed up last night, but since it was a blacked out home game, I couldn't see it.

yeah. I live in LA and now get every Suns game, nothing for rest of the league except national games.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’ve never seen a travel called in that situation. If the shooter is far enough back from the line the ref is looking at potential contact not his feet. If you want to argue it should be reviewable that’s fair.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I’ve never seen a travel called in that situation. If the shooter is far enough back from the line the ref is looking at potential contact not his feet. If you want to argue it should be reviewable that’s fair.
I thought all close calls, especially buzzer beaters, are reviewed on the last 2 minutes.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've seen calls like that made many times in the closing seconds, and I've seen them ignored too. It was a pretty obvious travel though, it should have caught their eye IMO.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
What happened to our defense since the Detroit game? WTH man?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Generally in sports, the difference between kings and clowns is surprisingly narrow, which has always intrigued/fascinated me.

It's another manifestation of tribalism. What has become very disturbing to me is the way that people who recognize how dangerous tribalism is in "real life" have no problem buying into it with all their soul when it comes to sports.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Can you return the purchase? I'm sure the board will offer to just give you a running play by play. I mean it is a little eery, this coincidence.

I have my skin in the game as well. I was watching the games live and we started off well. I've gone back to recording them and we've struggled. :(

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I've seen calls like that made many times in the closing seconds, and I've seen them ignored too. It was a pretty obvious travel though, it should have caught their eye IMO.
Murray traveled all night. At that point the refs should have been watching it. Did Monty bring it up during the game? Twitter was on fire with calling them as they happened.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Totally. Cards the same way. Lost a lot of close games they could’ve won. But at the end of the season the only thing that mattered was the entirety of the season. 8-8 and not in the playoffs. Close? Yup. But close doesn’t count for much in sports.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's another manifestation of tribalism. What has become very disturbing to me is the way that people who recognize how dangerous tribalism is in "real life" have no problem buying into it with all their soul when it comes to sports.
Being a sports fan is a weird concept to me when I really sit back and think about it objectively. In almost all other things we buy what we like. But when it comes to sports i’d venture to guess 75%+ of people are fans of a team from their city. Even though typically 100% of the players aren’t from that city and they might be awful. But we stay loyal to that team despite the fact they don’t make us feel good. It would be like filling your house with art you don’t like just because they are local artists. Or only eating food you don’t like because it’s local fare. It’s counterintuitive that we do it with sports. I think part of it is the tribalism to which you refer. To belong to something. And part is a competitive outlet that’s seemingly inherent in us. But neither really speaks to why we invest based almost solely on geography instead of (a) who we most enjoy, (b) a larger more “powerful” tribe (typically winning teams have greater numbers of fans), and (c) a more competitive team pumping up our self esteem. But still we cling to our local team. Even when they’re putrid. It’s weird to me. And yet I am 100% afflicted by it without understanding why in spite of being cognizant of all this.