Nuggets @ Suns Saturday game thread 1-23-2021

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WhyAlwaysMe was reported multiple times tonight by other users. Based on his recent history, he has been given a 1 month break for attacking others

If anyone wishes this to be lowered, please PM me only

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yup lol Monty

Really wish we would fire him.

I don't know how that would go down with the team but viewed purely from an image perspective it's one of the worst things we could do.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol. He wrote that because you asked him to. Sheesh.

this is one of your more entertaining debates with cheese.

Lol... so, I’m not the only one bewildered? I mean, I’m even high at this point.

but I will be soon. Gonna check out Little Things, the new Denzel movie on a digital screener.

Oh, Stay At Home Order Saturday Nights living solo... how I loathe thee!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
For the record, our starters outscored our bench 89 to 23

In an overtime game. Granted, Booker was out and the
bench had to cover a starting position.

But a key to our fast start was bench scoring.

Recently changing the starting lineup apparently
affected the fast start. 'Not a good sign if we
are still experimenting.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WhyAlwaysMe was reported multiple times tonight by other users. Based on his recent history, he has been given a 1 month break for attacking others

If anyone wishes this to be lowered, please PM me only

For those of us that don't know, do you do that through "start a conversation" or is there some kind of private messaging besides that?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yup lol Monty

Really wish we would fire him.

so here’s what I’ll say in Ayton’s defense if the above is true. If the plan was to foul and Ayton had 5 of them, he shouldn’t have been in the game and put in the position where he didn’t know what to do.

that’s a brain fart on Monty’s part. That play came off a timeout/stoppage in play, right? If we foul and they get two FTs, Ayton can get subbed back in at that point to rebound. And if they score a layup a TO can be called to get him back in the game.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
so here’s what I’ll say in Ayton’s defense if the above is true. If the plan was to foul and Ayton had 5 of them, he shouldn’t have been in the game and put in the position where he didn’t know what to do.

that’s a brain fart on Monty’s part. That play came off a timeout/stoppage in play, right? If we foul and they get two FTs, Ayton can get subbed back in at that point to rebound. And if they score a layup a TO can be called to get him back in the game.
Agreed on all this. Monty has done wonders for the culture of the team but still has some stuff to figure out with regards to in-game management. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now but he's coached a number of years now, he better put it together quick.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Lol... what did I dish out here? I said we weren’t good right now/mediocre. In response, you called my post sky is falling crazy talk. I responded with reasons why I didn’t think saying we were mediocre was crazy. You responded to that by telling me what Im really thinking and that I’m going nuts responding. I didn’t respond to that barb, but was and still am curious if you think we are good and if so, why you think we are?

Why are you treating this like a fight?

I'm not fighting, you are the one going on long diatribes about this. I appreciate that we're all passionate, but at some point you have to realize that a disagreement isn't a personal attack. Like it or hate it, we're still all passionate Suns fans, right?

I think at this point in time we are a better team then you are giving us credit for. Not the best team in the NBA, but better than our record would indicate. I feel the same way about the Denver Nuggets.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Exactly. That's pretty amateur-ish on Monty's part. I'm a fan of coach, but this and not calling a timeout at the end of regulation last game is troubling.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm not fighting, you are the one going on long diatribes about this. I appreciate that we're all passionate, but at some point you have to realize that a disagreement isn't a personal attack. Like it or hate it, we're still all passionate Suns fans, right?

I think at this point in time we are a better team then you are giving us credit for. Not the best team in the NBA, but better than our record would indicate. I feel the same way about the Denver Nuggets.
I’ll ask you the same question you asked cheese: why? And I’m not being snarky here, I am legitimately interested in what facts make you believe this.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I’ll ask you the same question you asked cheese: why? And I’m not being snarky here, I am legitimately interested in what facts make you believe this.
Because I am watching the games. Especially these last 2, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how we could have turned the tide. Mikal making a few more shots, Booker not missing his first 6 free throws a few games ago, Chris Paul making shots.

We are one minute detail away from having 11 or 12 wins this season. Bad teams have more problems than we do on a given night. Mikal not hitting a shot until the 4th quarter tonight was a problem in THIS game, but it wasn't in our other losses. A year ago at this time and years previous we were losing by 20 almost every night. And yes, we have some serious problems when we play bottom-dwellers, but against the best teams in the conference? We've held our own and until these past 2 OT losses, were usually on the winning end of those matchups.

We have the tools and the talent to win in the regular season, it just needs to come together, and that's why some of what Monty is doing is so frustrating. We could still be top of the league -- think about it. Devin Booker has had some bad stretches in his career, but he's never had a stretch like this. Imagine if he scored an extra 5ppg? Or even added 5% to his FT % this season?

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nader playing 30 minutes with a -24 is coaching malpractice. There are better players sitting on the bench. Players who were instrumental in the team's 5-1 hot start.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Because I am watching the games. Especially these last 2, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how we could have turned the tide. Mikal making a few more shots, Booker not missing his first 6 free throws a few games ago, Chris Paul making shots.

We are one minute detail away from having 11 or 12 wins this season. Bad teams have more problems than we do on a given night. Mikal not hitting a shot until the 4th quarter tonight was a problem in THIS game, but it wasn't in our other losses. A year ago at this time and years previous we were losing by 20 almost every night. And yes, we have some serious problems when we play bottom-dwellers, but against the best teams in the conference? We've held our own and until these past 2 OT losses, were usually on the winning end of those matchups.

We have the tools and the talent to win in the regular season, it just needs to come together, and that's why some of what Monty is doing is so frustrating. We could still be top of the league -- think about it. Devin Booker has had some bad stretches in his career, but he's never had a stretch like this. Imagine if he scored an extra 5ppg? Or even added 5% to his FT % this season?
We might just have to agree to disagree because what you’ve just described is exactly why we absolutely are an 8-7 team or a mediocre team and not a better team than an 8-7 team. We have players who are inconsistent. You can hope that bridges, cam, cam, Carter become consistent but that’s never been the case for any of them to date. They’re young and we hope they continue to developed into consistency but you can’t just assume it’s a given.

We are also not clutch at closing games. Just look at the Memphis loss. And the clippers loss. In fact the only clutch win we’ve had this year is the first nuggets game.

And no one has said we are “a bad team,” which you seem to arguing against. We are a mediocre team, an 8-7 team. For all the reasons you cite: inconsistency and not clutch down the stretch. That’s who we are.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
no he wasn’t

My mistake. He got the concussion in preseason and missed the first 7 games because of that. He was activated during the East coast road trip when the team fell apart but he didn't play then.

He did play in the preseason and was in the rotation, not someone who just came in late in the 4th. He's the only SF off the bench though since Cam has been playing more stretch 4 and Crowded is also more of a stretch 4.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty frustrated with the officiating, the difference in physical play allowed by Jokic versus Ayton.

Also he felt Murray traveled on the 3-pointer that forced overtime and it can't be reviewed.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me as well. A lot of rookies are getting major minutes, its not like the Suns are contenders with a set rotation. I mean I would rather see Smith out there than Kaminsky.

Before long I want to see Jalen as a rotation player.

His body will need time to develop but I think he has the skills to help the Suns this season. And he plays a position where the Suns desperately need help. In contrast Cam Johnson was 23 his rookie season.