What's wrong with Booker?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
For those arguing that CP3 addition's has hurt Book's production...
CP3 brings up the ball like a 2nd string Point Guard (to give Book a break) then passes to Book and he sets up the plays.

And gets double-teamed because he is still our de-facto facilitator as well as our best scorer.

The addition of Chris Paul has been completely mis-used and has been of no help to Booker.

Then when CP3 goes to the bench to rest, Book is 100% Point Guard.

Book is not James Hardin. He is an outstanding scorer and should be free to catch and shoot.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CP3 brings up the ball like a 2nd string Point Guard (to give Book a break) then passes to Book and he sets up the plays.

And gets double-teamed because he is still our de-facto facilitator as well as our best scorer.

The addition of Chris Paul has been completely mis-used and has been of no help to Booker.

Book is not James Hardin. He is an outstanding scorer and should be free to catch and shoot.

the problem is he’s NOT a good catch and shoot player. You WANT him to be Klay Thompson but he’s never has been that type of player. He’s literally NEVER been a catch and shoot player. He’s a scorer. And that’s what he should be. The bigger problem is he thinks he’s James Harden when he’s just not.

When Book gets the ball, he should just be thinking bucket. He doesn’t have the elite handles or vision to be the playmaker Harden is.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Book has never and will never be a point guard. He is careless with the ball when he is pressing and the pressure is on him to do all the scoring and facilitating. CP3 is 100% point guard. Book needs a pure point guard to take most of the facilitation out of his hands. If Book is your primary facilitator this team is never going to get over the hump.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
the problem is he’s NOT a good catch and shoot player. You WANT him to be Klay Thompson but he’s never has been that type of player. He’s literally NEVER been a catch and shoot player. He’s a scorer. And that’s what he should be. The bigger problem is he thinks he’s James Harden when he’s just not.

When Book gets the ball, he should just be thinking bucket. He doesn’t have the elite handles or vision to be the playmaker Harden is.

That is exactly what I meant by catch-and-shoot player.
He shouldn't be running the offense once CP3 passes
to him.

It would help him in two key areas. Reduce turnovers
and reduce double teams.

Please clarify why you say that he is not a good catch-
and-shoot player? Isn't that the priority of a Shooting
Guard? Move without the ball, catch it and shoot it.

As opposed to dribbling it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
to him.

and reduce double teams.

There are different types of shooting guards. There are pure catch and shoot guys like klay Thompson, Reggie miller, and ray allen. All of them could dribble drive but their bread and butter was shooting. And then there are shooting guards that are more scorers than shooters like Jordan, Kobe, jr rider, joe Johnson. Book falls more in the latter category.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
There are different types of shooting guards. There are pure catch and shoot guys like klay Thompson, Reggie miller, and ray allen. All of them could dribble drive but their bread and butter was shooting. And then there are shooting guards that are more scorers than shooters like Jordan, Kobe, jr rider, joe Johnson. Book falls more in the latter category.
Does Book fall into the latter category or is that the hope?

His turnovers and being double-teamed as he dribbles
seem to say that it's the hope and that he does not
have the potential to be a Jordan or Kobe.

There is no shame in his not being an NBA G.O.A.T.
Just our best player at this time.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to him.

and reduce double teams.

dude... I don’t know I can talk basketball with you any more.

Was Clyde Drexler a catch and shoot shooting guard? MJ? Dwayne Wade? Bradley Beal? Tracy McGrady? DeMarr Derozen? Ginobli? Kobe Bryant? Do you know what position those guys all played? I’ll give you a hint... it rhymes with Pooting Guard.

I mean... jeez, man. ALL of those guys were shooting guards who were ANYTHING BUT “Catch and Shoot the ball”. They were all SCORERS, who got the ball and usually... GASP... dribbled it to get to their spots or the hole, while also being able to shoot threes. That’s what Booker is. He’s sadly just not at the level of most of those guys.

you want Booker to be Klay Thompson. Guess what, he’s not a good enough shooter to just be a catch and shoot guy. Never has been, never will be. It’s like having an orange in your hand and being pissed off it’s not an apple. You can be pissed all you want but it’s still not going to change the Orange to an apple and it’s beyond confusing how after all this time you still think the apple is the Orange.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does Book fall into the latter category or is that the hope?

His turnovers and being double-teamed as he dribbles
seem to say that it's the hope and that he is not have
the potential to be a Jordan or Kobe.

There is no shame in his not being an NBA G.O.A.T.
Just our best player at this time.
He doesn’t have the ability to be those guys because of his athletic limitations. But he’s also not a good enough shooter to just camp at the line and shoot. He literally NEVER has been. His best 3 point percentage in 5 years has been 38%. Thats solid... but it was only one season that he was even a good deep shooter.

he’s stuck in the middle and that just is what it is, sadly.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
dude... I don’t know I can talk basketball with you any more.

Was Clyde Drexler a catch and shoot shooting guard? MJ? Dwayne Wade? Bradley Beal? Tracy McGrady? DeMarr Derozen? Ginobli? Kobe Bryant? Do you know what position those guys all played? I’ll give you a hint... it rhymes with Pooting Guard.

I mean... jeez, man. ALL of those guys were shooting guards who were ANYTHING BUT “Catch and Shoot the ball”. They were all SCORERS, who got the ball and usually... GASP... dribbled it to get to their spots or the hole, while also being able to shoot threes. That’s what Booker is. He’s sadly just not at the level of most of those guys.

you want Booker to be Klay Thompson. Guess what, he’s not a good enough shooter to just be a catch and shoot guy. Never has been, never will be. It’s like having an orange in your hand and being pissed off it’s not an apple. You can be pissed all you want but it’s still not going to change the Orange to an apple and it’s beyond confusing how after all this time you still think the apple is the Orange.
But Booker this season has been the de-facto Point Guard once CP3 makes his initial pass.

Are you denying that? I've seen it over and over and I've watched every game up until the
last two.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But Booker this season has been the de-facto Point Guard once CP3 makes his initial pass.

Are you denying that? I've seen it over and over and I've watched every game up until the
last two.

No, Booker has not been the defacto PG, as you claim. You clearly define positions much differently than anyone else. Just the other day you said Chris Paul wasn't a pure PG and still claim Ayton should be a PF. Your viewpoint on positions is seriously outdated.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Quite a rebuttal to the details of my post.

I enjoy the the idea of exchanging opinions and ideas on ASFN.

'Still waiting! :shrug:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

WTF? People have responded. They’ve responded with reasons Booker isn’t a PG. They’ve responded with stats showing that Booker isn’t a great shooter, but more of a scorer so just making him catch and shoot would be the best use of his skills that he DOES have. They’ve provided examples of similar players and skill sets that Booker has. They’ve defined what a SG is based on DECADES of NBA play.

and all you keep saying is “Booker should only catch and shoot! While giving ZERO reason why he should based on prior play or skill set.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It doesn't seem like you enjoy exchanging ideas here when you block anyone who disagrees with your views and/or claim they're personally attacking you.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
WTF? People have responded. They’ve responded with reasons Booker isn’t a PG. They’ve responded with stats showing that Booker isn’t a great shooter, but more of a scorer so just making him catch and shoot would be the best use of his skills that he DOES have. They’ve provided examples of similar players and skill sets that Booker has. They’ve defined what a SG is based on DECADES of NBA play.

and all you keep saying is “Booker should only catch and shoot! While giving ZERO reason why he should based on prior play or skill set.
Zero reasons? How about the times I've cited his turnovers and being double-teamed constantly by having the ball in his possession far too often? Too predictable.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Zero reasons? How about the times I've cited his turnovers and being double-teamed constantly by having the ball in his possession far too often? Too predictable.

All-Star's and All-Star caliber players are always double teamed. Last offseason, 2019, there was even a video that made the rounds of Booker being doubled during a pickup game and complaining about it. He said double teaming in a pickup game is weak. Regardless of his role, he'll be double teamed for the foreseeable future because of his talent. It has zero to do with what position he plays.

His turnovers this year are the same as they were last year and about at his career average. He's not turning it over more this year regardless of you believing he's the de-facto point guard. He needs to work on turning it over less but the only way to lower his turnovers is to lower his usage rate, which isn't likely to happen. He's our top offensive player and taking the ball away from him doesn't make sense when there is no one else who can do what he does. Don't blame managent for that either. Very few teams have more than one 25+ point a game scorer. Booker is our guy.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

what in the world are you even talking about.

can you show me ANY evidence that Booker has EVER been effective as a catch and shoot shooter? You want him to be a different player, and play AGAINST his strengths.

yes... Booker turns the ball over too much. Unfortunately you have to deal with that if you want him to score because he’s flat out not a great 3 point shooter. Never has been. So that needs to be worked on.

But he’s not Ray Allen, Raja Bell, Klay Thompson and playing him that way, wouldn’t be beneficial because he doesn’t shoot as well a...

forget it. You’re right. Ayton isn’t a Center. Chris Paul isn’t a pure PG and Booker, who’s never shot higher than 38% from three (and that only happened in ONE season), should be a shoot and catch player.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
what in the world are you even talking about.

can you show me ANY evidence that Booker has EVER been effective as a catch and shoot shooter? You want him to be a different player, and play AGAINST his strengths.

yes... Booker turns the ball over too much. Unfortunately you have to deal with that if you want him to score because he’s flat out not a great 3 point shooter. Never has been. So that needs to be worked on.

But he’s not Ray Allen, Raja Bell, Klay Thompson and playing him that way, wouldn’t be beneficial because he doesn’t shoot as well a...

forget it. You’re right. Ayton isn’t a Center. Chris Paul isn’t a pure PG and Booker, who’s never shot higher than 38% from three (and that only happened in ONE season), should be a shoot and catch player.
I hope Suns management is looking beyond the status quo.

Considering the disappointing groove into which the team has settled.

This place is for us, the fans, to discuss possibilities.

C'mon, Cheese, the less Book handles the ball, the better the Suns are. He our star,
but he is not a Michael or a Kobe. Or even a Hardin. Do you disagree with that?

The coaches need to work on that.

If the Suns weren't in a downward spiral, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
The more I watch Booker the more it's obvious he needs a second superstar to give him the looks he needs. Paul is good but he's not going to take the attention off Booker. I think we haven't seen the best Booker yet. I don't know if we'll see it but I'd love to.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The more I watch Booker the more it's obvious he needs a second superstar to give him the looks he needs. Paul is good but he's not going to take the attention off Booker. I think we haven't seen the best Booker yet. I don't know if we'll see it but I'd love to.
IMO Book is getting better looks this year then previous years. Might be his problem to wide open.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Booker is a rhythm player for the lack of a better word.

He can be as good as there is once he gets comfortable on the court. This is why we often see Booker stick with 2 point shots early in the game and then expand his range. He needs to feel the game. Sometimes he may feel the rhythm early in the game but at other times he has to work on creating it.

Booker is not what I call a pure shooter but once he feels it, he can shoot lights out.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Best 4 guards in the west.

Curry, Lillard, Mitchell, Book.

With Harden and Westbrook gone

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Doncic is considered a guard, you have to include him.

i think Doncic is solidly slotted as a SF. Ja Morant might be the only other player who I wouldn’t be totally pissed if he got in over Booker. He’s having another very good season, on an injury riddled team that he’s pretty much single handedly kept in the playoff chase. Jamal Murray isn’t having a great season and neither are the Nuggets so I’d give Book the nod over him.