Nuggets @ Suns Saturday game thread 1-23-2021

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nader had to play a lot of minutes because cam got hurt, dario and booker was out, mikal was in foul trouble and we needed some size on the court.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Mostly agree. If we go 4-2 next 6 we are fine. Even 3-3 isn’t a disaster. League is really flat this year. And who knows when Booker will be ready.
"If we go 4-2 next 6, we are fine." If ... never mind a metaphor.

The reality is that, as has been posted, we have lost most of our
last 10.

It makes me feel less guilty for watching specials about the late
Larry King and also Kamala Harris on CNN tonight, instead of
most of the game.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m wondering if you think the Nuggets suck. We lost in OT last night and we lost in Double OT tonight without Booker. And Dario, who we needed desperately in both games. Wondering why you think we aren’t good.

Why would you think I think the Nuggets suck... especially because I NEVER said the Suns suck. I said I don’t think we’re good right now. As far as the Nuggets go, I think they are a barely above average team right now. And a total pretender in the long run because while they have really good pieces of offense, They don’t play good D, nor do they have the athletes to.

As to why I think we’re not good? Well, our last two losses haven’t come in a vacuum. We’ve lost 6 of 9 and our record is currently 8-7. I just don’t think a good team is one that goes 3-6 after a 5-1 start, currently is barely over .500 at 8-7, and has had some embarassing losses to some of the worst teams in the league in our recent stretch of putridity.

and, IMO, any team that desperately needs Dario Saric is probably not that good to begin with. We’re not the only team dealing with injuries or Covid issues. We are what I think our record looks like. A mediocre team.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Why would you think I think the Nuggets suck... especially because I NEVER said the Suns suck. I said I don’t think we’re good right now. As far as the Nuggets go, I think they are a barely above average team right now. And a total pretender in the long run because while they have really good pieces of offense, They don’t play good D, nor do they have the athletes to.

As to why I think we’re not good? Well, our last two losses haven’t come in a vacuum. We’ve lost 6 of 9 and our record is currently 8-7. I just don’t think a good team is one that goes 3-6 after a 5-1 start, currently is barely over .500 at 8-7, and has had some embarassing losses to some of the worst teams in the league in our recent stretch of putridity.

and, IMO, any team that desperately needs Dario Saric is probably not that good to begin with. We’re not the only team dealing with injuries or Covid issues. We are what I think our record looks like. A mediocre team.
This is sky is falling crazy talk here. Hope they change your mind.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Mikal foul trouble sunk us plain and simple.

Kinda like how Joker foul trouble sunk them in the B2B 2nd game for us with them on 2 days’ rest back in Den.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought ayton played fantastic D on the joker.

his foul issues were actually more against other players.

I find it really hard to blame him at all for the loss. I put blame on James jones for not having another defensive big on the team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"If we go 4-2 next 6, we are fine." If ... never mind a metaphor.

The reality is that, as has been posted, we have lost most of our
last 10.

It makes me feel less guilty for watching specials about the late
Larry King and also Kamala Harris on CNN tonight, instead most
of the game.

Suns are 4-6 in their last 10 games.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Come on, you know this early in the season records mean little. Do you really think the Nuggets are mediocre?
It’s a tough year to judge. But they did lose talent that gave them incredible depth in Jerami grant and plumlee. Maybe they aren’t a WCFinalist caliber team this season.

We are better than last year but that’s not saying a lot. We are 15 games into a 72 game season. That’s 20%. Isn’t the old adage you kinda know what kind of team you are 20 games into an 82 game season? We are pretty close to that mark. 3 games away.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I thought ayton played fantastic D on the joker.

his foul issues were actually more against other players.

I find it really hard to blame him at all for the loss. I put blame on James jones for not having another defensive big on the team.

Sanity. Ouchie and Cheese are the two blind mice.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't see it that way. To me, last night's loss was far more discouraging. Despite this loss, I'm encouraged by the way this team fought against Denver tonight. We aren't where we need to be but even still, we're in most every game.
I agree with this. But I believe we weren’t getting routinely blown out last year either like we had been the previous 8 seasons.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Glad to see that fouling was the plan. Seemed like there were plenty of opportunities to execute the plan though.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bridges going scoreless until the 4th is what killed us tonight. Plain and simple.

I mean, we had 61 points at the half and he picked up 2 quick fouls in the 3rd and had to sit until the 4th basically. I’d say we didn’t really need his scoring in the 1st half with the 3 falling (10/20), but we realllllly needed him when we went ice cold in the 3rd (unfortunately he was on the bench w/foul trouble).

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You’re right. Ayton has no control over fouling a player he’s defending. I forgot about that rule of nature. Craziness.

the obsession you have with Ayton is kind of 1Sun ish. I honestly don’t care what happens it’s Aytons fault

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not a playoff team.

the question is what’s the problem and I’m looking at right at Monty

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Glad to see that fouling was the plan. Seemed like there were plenty of opportunities to execute the plan though.

I can’t believe that. Nobody on the team was trying to foul AT ALL. Really seems like Monty is fos. If a player corroborated that I would back down, but there was NO URGENCY to foul by anyone and NOBODY yelled foul on the court or bench....

CRC83

Veteran
Reaction score
Bridges going scoreless until the 4th is what killed us tonight. Plain and simple.
I agree Bridges lack of scoring and foul trouble absolutely contributed to the loss, but Nadar had a +/- of -24 and missed 2 clutch free throws that would have put us up one. Hard to argue Bridges’ lack of scoring is what killed us compared to Nadar. Now, if you want to argue that Bridges foul trouble that caused us to have to play Nadar is what killed us, you might be on to something.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is sky is falling crazy talk here. Hope they change your mind.

Lol... calling us a mediocre team is sky is falling crazy talk? saying we’re not good right now after losing 6 of 9 and only having an 8-7 record, is crazy sky is falling talk?

Can I ask a question... what’s crazy about calling us mediocre right now? This team hasn’t been to the playoffs in a decade. This group as currently constructed has never achieved anything together and all we have is what we’ve seen in the first 15 games, which is a team barely above .500.

But you think I’m crazy, so I guess I’ll ask you the question. Do you think this 8-7 team is good right now? If so, why?

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Suns are 4-6 in their last 10 games.
Yup, we lost more than we won.

The trend is not going in the right direction.

And the eye test says that the bubble and
the start to this season are not indicative
of our current status.

We still need a legitimate backup Center
and two Power Forwards.

And Ayton to grow a pair. And Booker to
stop trying to be a Point Guard.

And a General Manager whose resume was
more than Sarver's Front Office stooge.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yup, we lost more than we won.

The trend is not going in the right direction.

And the eye test says that the bubble and
the start to this season are not indicative
of recent games and our current status.

We still need a legitimate backup Center
and two Power Forwards.

And Ayton to grow a pair. And Booker to
stop trying to be a Point Guard.

And a General Manager whose resume was
more than Sarver's Front Office stooge.
We are cracker thin up front, wow. Especially defensively.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Lol... calling us a mediocre team is sky is falling crazy talk? saying we’re not good RIGHT NOW... after losing 6 of 9 and only having an 8-7 record, is crazy sky is falling talk? I’m curious what’s crazy about that? They haven’t been to the playoffs in a decade. This group as currently constructed has never achieved anything together and all we have is what we’ve seen in the first 15 games, which is a team barely above .500.

and the key to changing my mind isn’t some kind of mystery. If they start winning games again my mind will
probably change. But until they do something to accomplish that, I have no clue why I’d call an 8-7 team in the middle of an ugly 9 game stretch, good right now.

But you think I’m crazy, so I guess I’ll ask you the question. Do you think this 8-7 team is good right now? If so, why?
Your post was a lot more than that.

In your mind, you may not have written them off yet, but what you write doesn’t support that. Just like I know that Ouchie doesn’t hate Ayton except his posts show the opposite.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t believe that. Nobody on the team was trying to foul AT ALL. Really seems like Monty is fos. If a player corroborated that I would back down, but there was NO URGENCY to foul by anyone and NOBODY yelled foul on the court or bench....

so, now Monty’s a liar instead of Ayton not doing exactly what you thought we should?