OT: Matt Stafford and Detroit parting ways

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes sense. That team needs a total rebuild. Who trades for him and what’s the cost?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Think he’s a bit overrated, but I bet he ends up with Indy.

Washington a darkhorse as well.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Rather SF get him than Darnold. With all the injuries I don’t think his play will age gracefully.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yea but folks aren’t acting as if Stafford is some HOF QB like Philip.

Rivers is going in for stats and longevity. Tbh he could easily have an MVP and put up some great seasons before the pass-happy rule changes. Let’s be honest if you’re borderline in this day in age you’re getting in.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rivers is going in for stats and longevity. Tbh he could easily have an MVP and put up some great seasons before the pass-happy rule changes. Let’s be honest if you’re borderline in this day in age you’re getting in.
The lack of accolades will keep him out imo. No All-Pros, MVPs, postseason success, & his story isn’t noteworthy. There’s a better case for someone like Matt Ryan than it is for Philip Rivers.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Bay Area media has reported over the past couple of weeks that the Niners are a possible destination.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The lack of accolades will keep him out imo. No All-Pros, MVPs, postseason success, & his story isn’t noteworthy. There’s a better case for someone like Matt Ryan than it is for Philip Rivers.

In 08’ Manning won MVP and Rivers didn’t make 1st or 2nd team all-pro...

Manning: 66.8% - 4,002 yards - 27 TD - 12 INT - 7.2 YPA

Rivers: 65.3% - 4,009 yards - 34 TD - 11 INT - 8.4 YPA

Media voted accolades don’t mean much to me but I understand why they matter to some...

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Rivers is going to be in the HOF. Like it or not, that's not even up for debate. Probably not a first ballot guy, but he's going to get in. One of the main reasons is the media likes him.

You can't hold that he played against Manning, Brady, and Pittsburgh most of his career against him. They were just better teams. He's put up HOF numbers. And I've never been much of a Rivers fan.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
NE has to be considered a good landing spot for him. Patricia is back with them so he'll have a lot to say about it.

Also, don't get why Detroit would come out publicly and say they are parting ways with him. Kind of destroys any trade value. They could wait until he gets released.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some people need the media to tell them what to think. He is 5th all time in yards and TDs but yeah he didn’t win a SB so no HOF... I guess by the same token our Larry won’t be getting in

Yes. And how the "heck" did Dan Marino and Warren Moon get in?

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Are Roethlisberger and Brees retiring also? More potential landing spots.

There may be a hellacious bidding war for the #1 pick.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes. And how the "heck" did Dan Marino and Warren Moon get in?
Probably because Marino revolutionized the game of football while carrying some pretty sub-par Miami teams. MVP, All-Pros, & even a Super Bowl appearance.

Warren also has some accolades & has gone down in history for obvious reasons.

But I got a bit off topic thanks to @Shane (;)). This a thread about Matt Stafford, not the most overrated QB of all time.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Stafford doesn't fit the 49ers gameplan. He is more of a gunslinger whose strength is to push it downfield. He isn't a guy who is suited for the play action heavy bootleg game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose