Cardinals reportedly expect to hire Shawn Jefferson as WR coach

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What's not to like?

"The energy level he brings, there aren’t many guys who do it like he does it,” Gase said of Jefferson. “I always worry about him because I look over and he’s wearing a gray shirt, and then all of a sudden it’s not gray anymore and we’re only five minutes into practice. The fact that he’s out there running with them, chasing everybody around and constantly running down the field just trying to push his guys not to take one second off. When you get a guy like that on your staff, you just can’t measure it.”

Gase and Jefferson have a history that dates back to 2003. Gase was a scouting assistant with the Lions while Jefferson played his final NFL season with the Lions in 2003.

Gase said Jefferson’s trademark intensity on the football field has never wavered.

“These guys are going to go as I go,” Jefferson said of Miami’s receivers. “I’m a go-getter and that’s how I want my group. I want my group to be go-getters. I put a lot of pressure on those guys so that when we get to the games, there’s no pressure. What we want to do as a receiving group is we want to apply pressure. We never want to feel pressure, we want to apply it.”

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/2016/...ic-coaching-style-to-dolphins-wide-receivers/
I love his intensity & that is EXACTLY what this team lacks on both sides of the ball. But, especially the WR group. They lacked energy this season. Guys ran the wrong routes, stopped their routes, and DID NOT break tackles. I’m ok with the hire.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I love his intensity & that is EXACTLY what this team lacks on both sides of the ball. But, especially the WR group. They lacked energy this season. Guys ran the wrong routes, stopped their routes, and DID NOT break tackles. I’m ok with the hire.
Imperative that we have wrs that come back to the football on scramble plays and fight for 50/50 passes. None of the young guys were good at that.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What are the unit weaknesses- Routes? Blocking? High Pointing? One-on-Ones?

What are Jefferson's coaching strengths/weakneses?

Therein lies the clues to why we signed him

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Underestimated the guy, hopefully he can work miracles with Kirk and Isabella.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Imperative that we have wrs that come back to the football on scramble plays and fight for 50/50 passes. None of the young guys were good at that.

This is the reason for the change, I assume. This clearly didn’t happen. What also didn’t happen was settling down in zones properly. Identifying hot reads and modifying routes. The concern is pro receivers should have learned this if coming out of a major college program. This is not advanced level stuff. It seems to me this is more an extension of the lack of discipline and accountability this team has exhibited on KK’s watch. Someone should have been in the face of these receivers. Whether it was Kingsbury, Murray or another coach, there is no evidence this was happening. Hopefully Jefferson will take it upon himself to rectify this.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave