Minimum 2021 team performance to retain Kingsbury?

What will it take for you to be on board for another year of Kliff after next season?

• 8-9 record

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • 9-8 record

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • making the playoffs

Votes: 53 68.8%
  • winning in the Super Wild Card round

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • making the Divisional playoffs

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • more than making the Divisional playoffs

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arguing to argue from you?

Too - :lmao:

notice... you didn't respond to my point. so, I'll ask again.

do you believe the league, as a marketing machine preferred that awful Bears team in the playoffs with Tribuski QB'ing them on a road to nowhere or Kyler and the Cardinals as the up and coming young QB who dazzles with his feet and can make plays out of nothing?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It’s not possible without an awesome off-season but if he can win more than he loses, he’ll amaze me. This is a much tougher schedule than last year. BTW I can’t imagine him accomplishing this.

It's even more laughable when watching actual playoff teams, especially considering how we finished.

It makes me ill to think we'll be throwing away another year of rookie contract Kyler with Keim and Kingsbury in charge. What a waste.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
There's a weird disconnect between what people think happened this season and what the advanced metrics suggest. According to FootballOutsiders, we were:
  • 18th in variance (average consistency)
  • 9.1 pythagorian wins (relatively unlucky)
  • 17th-hardest schedule
Obviously you don't love how the season ended, especially that our last 6 games had a negative offensive DVOA (and 5 of 6 were double-digit negative).

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

do you believe the league, as a marketing machine preferred that awful Bears team in the playoffs with Tribuski QB'ing them on a road to nowhere or Kyler and the Cardinals as the up and coming young QB who dazzles with his feet and can make plays out of nothing?
That's "Nickelodeon VP QB Mitch Trubisky."

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you really think the league wanted a boring Mitch Trubisky led Bears team in the playoffs over Kyler Murray youre drinking drano or just arguing to argue.

you could argue that Chicago has a much larger fan base and market. Regardless of the QBs.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not sure what the original point was, but as far as what "the league preferred"... the fact that the Bears have the 8th best fan base from an economic and marketing standpoint, while Cardinals fans are ranked 25th, surely had to be a significant factor.

...dbs

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
eh... looks like I was wrong. Chicago/New Orleans got the biggest ratings of all the games on Wild-Card Weekend.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Bears are a larger market so yes, they would prefer the Bears. More eyes.

Your point is well taken on hyping Kyler

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

In Football obsessed America it makes little difference.

Fans watch!

P.S. Chicago is the 3rd largest TV market.

Last edited:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I think a 9-8 record may get you into the playoffs if you can win the tie breakers. I think you will have several teams floating around that record next season. For me he needs to not only get into the playoffs but win a wild card game. I do not see them winning the division.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Have you seen next season’s schedule? It’s brutal

kk will be lucky to get this team to five wins...... unless there are some major changes

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’m not sure if any of the answers apply. Our schedule next year is significantly tougher, so it won’t be based on our record. Unless, of course, we win 7 or less games. What needs to happen is that our offense has to be consistently better & EXPLOSIVE week to week. Exactly why I’ve said we need to put all our emphasis on the offense this offseason. At least fix one side of the ball. And because we have so much invested in Kyler, it has to be the offense. If the offense is a top 5-10 offense, then KK will stay. As long as our record is close to .500. If this happens, we’ll lose mainly because of the D, and Joseph will be fired by himself.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you seen next season’s schedule? It’s brutal
I thought so too when i first saw it. But actually, based on this season's win totals, the Cardinals' 16-game strength of schedule is ranked 15th (tied with 3 other teams) at 127-129 = 0.496. Adding in the Browns as a 17th opponent raises the SoS to 138-134, or 0.507. Either way, middle of the pack.

Yep, it's a little tougher than the 2020 schedule (121-134-1 = 0.475). But the NFC North has Green Bay and 3 poor to mediocre teams, the AFC South has two good teams and two terrible teams, and of the other teams ranked 3rd in their divisions - Dallas, Carolina, and Cleveland - two should be very beatable. (Granted, the Cards lost to some of the "beatable" teams in 2020!) Some of the opponents will be better next season, some will be worse.

Simplifying further: Outside of the division, 3 opponents were above .500 this year (4 if you add Cleveland), 6 were below .500, and Chicago was .500. Not so scary, really.

Manage 3-3 vs. the NFC West, beat the .500 & under teams outside the division, and the Cards end up 10-7. Or go 2-4 in the NFC West again and lose to the .500 and up teams outside the division, and end up 8-9.

...dave

Last edited:

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put make the playoffs.

But more importantly that we are improving as the season goes along all the way to the end.

I don't want to see us melt again towards the end.

Shows that the coaching staff is losing the team and not making adjustments.

We have seen this ineptitude for 2 years in a row.

What makes us think he will change?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
eh... looks like I was wrong. Chicago/New Orleans got the biggest ratings of all the games on Wild-Card Weekend.

Bears are a larger market so yes, they would prefer the Bears. More eyes.

Your point is well taken on hyping Kyler

In Football obsessed America it makes little difference.

Fans watch!

P.S. Chicago is the 3rd largest TV market.

Chicago is a public team. They always get network preference regardless of performance.

I would imagine that the younger fans would have liked to see Kyler. Especially on Nickelodeon.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He has got to get to the playoffs.

The NFL was banking on Arizona being a wildcard and when they couldnt get that, fellow owners were looking at Bidwill crazy.

I dont think he has 5 years, he has next year to get his act together or him and Keim are out the door

Yeah no one was banking on us being a playoff team this year before the season started.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I put make the playoffs.

But more importantly that we are improving as the season goes along all the way to the end.

I don't want to see us melt again towards the end.

Shows that the coaching staff is losing the team and not making adjustments.

We have seen this ineptitude for 2 years in a row.

What makes us think he will change?

2020 vs 2019

Scored 49 more points and generated 686 more yards.

Allowed 75 fewer points and 801 fewer yards.

Total: 124

Going into the season, I was hoping for a total of 200 with a target of 100 points more & less from both sides of the ledger and believed the offence was the more likely to reach that improved number.

Still... the ledger shows improvement.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought so too when i first saw it. But actually, based on this season's win totals, the Cardinals' 16-game strength of schedule is ranked 15th (tied with 3 other teams) at 127-129 = 0.496. Adding in the Browns as a 17th opponent raises the SoS to 138-134, or 0.507. Either way, middle of the pack.

Yep, it's a little tougher than the 2020 schedule (121-134-1 = 0.475). But the NFC North has Green Bay and 3 poor to mediocre teams, the AFC South has two good teams and two terrible teams, and of the other teams ranked 3rd in their divisions - Dallas, Carolina, and Cleveland - two should be very beatable. (Granted, the Cards lost to some of the "beatable" teams in 2020!) Some of the opponents will be better next season, some will be worse.

Simplifying further: Outside of the division, 3 opponents were above .500 this year (4 if you add Cleveland), 6 were below .500, and Chicago was .500. Not so scary, really.

Manage 3-3 vs. the NFC West, beat the .500 & under teams outside the division, and the Cards end up 10-7. Or go 2-4 in the NFC West again and lose to the .500 and up teams outside the division, and end up 8-9.

...dave

gotta agree. I don’t see what’s so terrifying about next year’s schedule.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
With Hopkins and Murray you better be making the divisional round or you are just the Texans redux.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You gotta make the playoffs or Kliff is gone for sure....and I would argue Keim as well.

If we do make the playoffs, but still look like garbage for large chunks of the season, I think KK could be let go and Keim could keep his job.

Reaction score
What needs to happen is that our offense has to be consistently better & EXPLOSIVE week to week. Exactly why I’ve said we need to put all our emphasis on the offense this offseason. At least fix one side of the ball. And because we have so much invested in Kyler, it has to be the offense. If the offense is a top 5-10 offense, then KK will stay. As long as our record is close to .500. If this happens, we’ll lose mainly because of the D, and Joseph will be fired by himself.
NAILED IT!!

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
VJ wil be interim head coach before end of 2021 season.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose