Cardinals reportedly expect to hire Shawn Jefferson as WR coach

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardinals reportedly expect to hire Shawn Jefferson as WR coach

https://arizonasports.com/story/251...y-expect-to-hire-shawn-jefferson-as-wr-coach/

The Arizona Cardinals expect to hire former New York Jets assistant Shawn Jefferson as their wide receivers coach, reports CBS Sports’ Dennis Dodd.

Jefferson, who with the Jets the past two years coached receivers and was an assistant offensive head coach, became available recently as New York fired head coach Adam Gase. Jefferson will replace David Raih, who the Cardinals reportedly let go since their 8-8 finish.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
his son Van is a Wr with the Rams.

FWIW he's been a WR coach or higher in the NFL for close to 15 years ago but he has worked for Gase twice.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have a list of the receivers he worked with?
If they did improve or not
Its the only way to judge his work
Here the WR coach has been fired cause the players regressed instead of improving

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soon we will hear, “One of the brightest minds in football. He was a guy we had our eye on for a while. He will get the most out of this receiving Corp.” blah, blah, blah.

He’ll get my accolades AFTER I see an improvement.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like the hire. He's a WR coach. He can't help how the team does. He can only coach his position group.

He was Megatrons WR coach for the first 5 years of his career including his 1900 yard year. Although to be fair I probably could have coached Megatron. He got over 1000 yards from Kendall Wright in 2013 at the Titans which was an achievement in itself. He coached Jarvis Landry and DeVante Parker at Miami.

Megatron did say in an SI interview that Jefferson was "the best receivers coach I’ve seen in the league.” The problem with that is I don't think Johnson really saw many WR coaches in his career.

Either way, he thought highly of him.

Looking around trying to find quotes from players on him and it seems he's a real high energy guy but also tough. He once made Justin Hunter wear a shirt in practice that replaced his name with "JAG" for running a route wrong.

I see also Megatron would go into camp with the Dolphins some times to help work with the WR's. That might be interesting.

I wonder if he will bring Hines Ward with him as assistant?

Anyway, he's a massive step up from surfer bro Riah.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A donkey is donkey no matter who's riding it. I got zero faith in Kirk & Isabella at this time. If working with DHop & Fitz was not enough for them, I'm not sure what will work at this point.
That’s why we need to draft the best wide out at round one.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What's not to like?

"The energy level he brings, there aren’t many guys who do it like he does it,” Gase said of Jefferson. “I always worry about him because I look over and he’s wearing a gray shirt, and then all of a sudden it’s not gray anymore and we’re only five minutes into practice. The fact that he’s out there running with them, chasing everybody around and constantly running down the field just trying to push his guys not to take one second off. When you get a guy like that on your staff, you just can’t measure it.”

Gase and Jefferson have a history that dates back to 2003. Gase was a scouting assistant with the Lions while Jefferson played his final NFL season with the Lions in 2003.

Gase said Jefferson’s trademark intensity on the football field has never wavered.

“These guys are going to go as I go,” Jefferson said of Miami’s receivers. “I’m a go-getter and that’s how I want my group. I want my group to be go-getters. I put a lot of pressure on those guys so that when we get to the games, there’s no pressure. What we want to do as a receiving group is we want to apply pressure. We never want to feel pressure, we want to apply it.”

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/2016/...ic-coaching-style-to-dolphins-wide-receivers/

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose