OT: QB Philip Rivers Retires After 17 NFL Seasons

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Former Chargers QB Philip Rivers Retires After 17 NFL Seasons

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/sports/chargers-colts-philip-rivers-nfl-retirement/2500038/

Former Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers announced his retirement Wednesday after 17 NFL seasons.

Rivers spent 16 of those seasons with the Chargers in San Diego and Los Angeles. He joined the Colts, helping them to a playoff appearance in his final season.

The 39-year-old Rivers set more than 30 franchise records with the Chargers, a team he led to six playoff appearances.

Rivers was known as a fierce competitor with a rare style of trash talk and outbursts devoid of cursing.

“I appreciate the opposing defenses making it challenging physically and mentally every week. I also enjoyed the banter,” Rivers said in his statement. “I appreciate the referees for putting up with all my fussing. I think I was right most of the time dadgummit!

“Thanks to the fans in San Diego and around the nation that both cheered and booed.”

-------------------------------

Word is he has already accepted a job as a high school football coach.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Threw for lots of yards yearly and had the best TD to Int ratio for many years. Excellent QB. Unfortunately, the Chargers players just couldn't play up to his standard in big playoff games. Like many of the greater QBs, he probably played a couple years longer than he should have which lowered his stat average a bit. He was an extremely durable QB. I don't remember if he was ever hurt or missed a game?

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So who replaces Rivers.

Jacob Eason is the only roster QB on the Colts
Drafting that low the elite QBs are gone
Trade up in the draft
Deal for Carson Wentz/Matthew Stafford/Matt Ryan/???
Dak Prescott might be a FA
Mac Jones could be available at #21

Who is opening day QB is a huge question

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
So who replaces Rivers.

Jacob Eason is the only roster QB on the Colts
Drafting that low the elite QBs are gone
Trade up in the draft
Deal for Carson Wentz/Matthew Stafford/Matt Ryan/???
Dak Prescott might be a FA
Mac Jones could be available at #21

Who is opening day QB is a huge question

Colts should throw their name in the Watson sweepstakes.

I'd also add that they should call the Jets about Sam Darnold and see what their asking price is.

They could also go back to Jacoby Brisset, I guess, but he's better suited as a QB2

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Colts should throw their name in the Watson sweepstakes.

I'd also add that they should call the Jets about Sam Darnold and see what their asking price is.

They could also go back to Jacoby Brisset, I guess, but he's better suited as a QB2
I doubt Houston trades him inside the conference, let alone a division foe.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
losing rivers, and likely brees in the same offseason. crazy how the landscape of the nfl changes every year

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even though the media is reporting that the Eagles are telling prospective coaches that they want to keep Wentz, I still think they will trade him to the Colts. Reich would love to have him, he fits their offense like a glove, and Wentz would love to be reunited with Reich again. The Eagles have a lot of holes & would love to add another 1st round pick. This is a perfect match for both teams.