I'm building an overland setup

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
slightly off topic but I guess this can be my truck upgrade thread too. Getting new headlights in the mail today. My current ones, after dark, are embarrassingly poor. I cant see a damn thing. Brand new ones with smoke tint on them coming in the mail. Should look super slick but also make it so I can actually see at night. super stoked.

Someone elses photo with one stock headlight and one headlight of what I just ordered. I sent this to friends and they thought I took the photo. Looks just like my truck, dirty mess and all.

You must be registered for see images attach

What type of headlamp are they... halogen, LED?

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What type of headlamp are they... halogen, LED?

Standard halogen light. I actually got caught up in this for a few days, researching here and there. I noticed my lights were terrible while driving to rocky point and it turned out my headlights were just caked with crap after being on the truck for 13 years. Once I went onlint to research buying headlights, just like going to home depot to buy light bulbs, the selection is daunting and overwhelming. I dont know what wattage, what brightness, what color brightness and etc I prefer or already have. When searching headlights, you got LED, HID and halogen. Then you had potential of rewiring a lot of things to change from say; Halogen to LED.

I ended up on an article that esentially said that LED are great for short distance brightness and recommended for light bars, fog lights and etc but Halogen while not as bright close up, was a lot better for distance lighting which of course is important at higher speeds. Based on that recommendation alone, I stuck with Halogen headlights and if/when I deal with fog lights, they will go LED most likely.

My headlights are here now. Hopefully it makes a big difference. I'm really tired of driving blind at night. I should wait until night to install them so I can make sure the lights point exactly the same but if I am to do that, I would likely have to change them tomorrow and I am feeling very impatient.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Standard halogen light. I actually got caught up in this for a few days, researching here and there. I noticed my lights were terrible while driving to rocky point and it turned out my headlights were just caked with crap after being on the truck for 13 years. Once I went onlint to research buying headlights, just like going to home depot to buy light bulbs, the selection is daunting and overwhelming. I dont know what wattage, what brightness, what color brightness and etc I prefer or already have. When searching headlights, you got LED, HID and halogen. Then you had potential of rewiring a lot of things to change from say; Halogen to LED.

I ended up on an article that esentially said that LED are great for short distance brightness and recommended for light bars, fog lights and etc but Halogen while not as bright close up, was a lot better for distance lighting which of course is important at higher speeds. Based on that recommendation alone, I stuck with Halogen headlights and if/when I deal with fog lights, they will go LED most likely.

My headlights are here now. Hopefully it makes a big difference. I'm really tired of driving blind at night. I should wait until night to install them so I can make sure the lights point exactly the same but if I am to do that, I would likely have to change them tomorrow and I am feeling very impatient.

I'm sure the new headlamps will make a big difference. It sounds like it was tough researching all the options though. When you go camping it will help spotting deer, elk and such.

One thing I have found with full-size trucks, the backup lights do not throw out enough light at night. One of these days I am going to have to see if I can add additional lightning in the rear. I have a longer driveway and when I backup, sometimes it is hard to see. I think it is because they make trucks higher off the ground these days.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure the new headlamps will make a big difference. It sounds like it was tough researching all the options though. When you go camping it will help spotting deer, elk and such.

One thing I have found with full-size trucks, the backup lights do not throw out enough light at night. One of these days I am going to have to see if I can add additional lightning in the rear. I have a longer driveway and when I backup, sometimes it is hard to see. I think it is because they make trucks higher off the ground these days.

I've definitely had issues with backup lights, especially in the jeep. My backup camera I had added to this truck helps a lot and on the jeep I had LED pods on the back I installed and ran to a switch in my cab so I could turn them on when going in reverse on trails and whatnot. I'm not sure if I will need this on the pickup yet or not but I do plan on adding amber lights on the back as "follow lights" so even if I am disappearing in a cloud of dust, the people following can still see me/find me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've definitely had issues with backup lights, especially in the jeep. My backup camera I had added to this truck helps a lot and on the jeep I had LED pods on the back I installed and ran to a switch in my cab so I could turn them on when going in reverse on trails and whatnot. I'm not sure if I will need this on the pickup yet or not but I do plan on adding amber lights on the back as "follow lights" so even if I am disappearing in a cloud of dust, the people following can still see me/find me.

A backup camera would be nice. I may need to check it out. Also auxiliary backup lights or better bulbs would help for a truck. Additional lighting is always good especially when camping.

I don't know if they make anything that plugs into the trailer lighting socket. That would make it easy at least when not pulling a trailer.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A backup camera would be nice. I may need to check it out. Also auxiliary backup lights or better bulbs would help for a truck. Additional lighting is always good especially when camping.

I don't know if they make anything that plugs into the trailer lighting socket. That would make it easy at least when not pulling a trailer.
I got a backup camera at best buy and they installed it, I also got a new head unit stereo as my truck didnt have bluetooth or anything. If your stereo has a screen, you can just buy a backup camera and have it installed there. pretty cheap. If it doesnt have a screen, would also require a new head unit I would think. TOTALLY worth it IMO.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
headlights are in. once I got home I could tell they were just lighting the ground. adjusting them was super simple, literally just turn a phillips head screw and they go up. Need to drive around and keep raising it until people start flashing me and then drop it down a little and will be where it needs to be.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a backup camera at best buy and they installed it, I also got a new head unit stereo as my truck didnt have bluetooth or anything. If your stereo has a screen, you can just buy a backup camera and have it installed there. pretty cheap. If it doesnt have a screen, would also require a new head unit I would think. TOTALLY worth it IMO.

I have a Ram 1500 and it has a large stereo screen. Thanks, I will give the backup camera a look.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
headlights are in. once I got home I could tell they were just lighting the ground. adjusting them was super simple, literally just turn a phillips head screw and they go up. Need to drive around and keep raising it until people start flashing me and then drop it down a little and will be where it needs to be.

Looking good!

There must be an easier way to adjust the headlights to the right level I would hope.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking good!

There must be an easier way to adjust the headlights to the right level I would hope.
literally just a phillips head screw you turn and you can see the lights moving. super simple.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shell wont be here until December so this is mostly on hold for now. I am not going to work on building the interior until it is covered from the elements.

I did try out my new inverter and strapped a TV in the slide window in the back of my truck. My son and I watched the cardinals vs panthers from atop of mingus mountain at the end of a long day of adventuring up and down the verde river and some springs.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
beyond excited for the shell I ordered in October to show up mid december.

oh, wait.... it's january already.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
beyond excited for the shell I ordered in October to show up mid december.

oh, wait.... it's january already.

I was going to ask you how the truck project is going.

So is the shell coming from out of state or just waiting for it to be built?

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to ask you how the truck project is going.

So is the shell coming from out of state or just waiting for it to be built?
The build out time was set for "mid december" is all I really know. So, it could be both lol

This weekend I just made an a-frame over my truck bed with a tarp

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mid-December, mid-January, same thing. :lol: At least it's happening. Looking forward to the pics.

I cant wait. Then I will be hanging out in the driveway one - two nights a week, like I'm camping in it so I can decide how to do everything. Cooking dinner out there, all that stuff. Going to be awesome.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Camper shell finally acquired. Kids have already noted in the daytime it is very hot in there and it is January. Outside of interior building and etc I plan to do, one of the first orders of business will be securing a fan to the interior ceiling that plugs into my 12v multi-port so every time I turn the truck on, the fan will also kick on. I'll need it to run when the truck is off too for sleeping overnight and etc but first thing is first.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Camper shell finally acquired. Kids have already noted in the daytime it is very hot in there and it is January. Outside of interior building and etc I plan to do, one of the first orders of business will be securing a fan to the interior ceiling that plugs into my 12v multi-port so every time I turn the truck on, the fan will also kick on. I'll need it to run when the truck is off too for sleeping overnight and etc but first thing is first.

Looks sharp, BRR! Congrats!

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks sharp, BRR! Congrats!
I have always thought they usually looked dumb. When I pulled in the parking lot, I was surprised how good it looked on my truck. I went with the mid high to give a little head room and sure enough, right now floor to top when sitting, I have 6+ inches of head room so now I can build a 6" platform on the bottom with a drawer system to keep my kitchen and more in and still have room for activities above it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Super cool. This turned out nicely!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA