Keim, save your job AGAIN and do this!

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’m sorry and I may be in the minority here but I would trade Kyler for Watson ASAP if it’s an option.

My reasoning is Watson is all in and has a great (assuming here) relationship with Hopkins. Kyler IMO is not fully invested , again IMO. It may be his size or whatever but he just doesn’t seem to have that “win at all costs “ attitude you want the leader of your team to have .
Why it works, Kyler, being a local boy may thrive in Houston and that’s ok. He’s from there and may welcome the opportunity. Watson, would be a better fit in this offense and along with the aforementioned relationship with Watson would thrive . He also has a level of toughness that Kyler lacks.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m sorry and I may be in the minority here but I would trade Kyler for Watson ASAP if it’s an option.

My reasoning is Watson is all in and has a great (assuming here) relationship with Hopkins. Kyler IMO is not fully invested , again IMO. It may be his size or whatever but he just doesn’t seem to have that “win at all costs “ attitude you want the leader of your team to have .
Why it works, Kyler, being a local boy may thrive in Houston and that’s ok. He’s from there and may welcome the opportunity. Watson, would be a better fit in this offense and along with the aforementioned relationship with Watson would thrive . He also has a level of toughness that Kyler lacks.

lol

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Keim cant even manage a rookie qb salary. You know how bad this team would regress with a 40 mill qb salary???

The only think that Watson is noticeable better than Kyler is throwing outside of the pocket. But its a push every where else and Kyler has a better overall arm talent.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yes lets trade Kyler for Watson. Fire Kliff and Vance. Hire Bieniemy and Wade Philps to run the offense and defense. While we are at it we should Kurt Warner as the QB coach. Maybe bring back Fitz, ADub and Btrain back so we can take a shot and give them the rings they deserve. Maybe put Rod Graves and Whisenhunt on the staff somewhere also.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yes lets trade Kyler for Watson. Fire Kliff and Vance. Hire Bieniemy and Wade Philps to run the offense and defense. While we are at it we should Kurt Warner as the QB coach. Maybe bring back Fitz, ADub and Btrain back so we can take a shot and give them the rings they deserve. Maybe put Rod Graves and Whisenhunt on the staff somewhere also.
That kinda sounds better than where we are now, not gonna lie.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Just to offer my two thoughts, I think it is unfair that some posters kind of make fun of the original poster. I personally don’t want it to happen – just as I think it is unrealistic – but I certainly understand the rational, and is that part of the post really that far out? I don’t think that.

I admit that I was very high on Deshaun Watson before that draft, and I wanted the Cards to trade up. I would even say that he is one of the maybe two or three quarterbacks I would want the most right now.

Reaction score

Kyler is on a rookie deal
Watson is in year 2 of a $156 mm contract
Tell me how this works?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Kyler is on a rookie deal
Watson is in year 2 of a $156 mm contract
Tell me how this works?
Watson would be around 35 mil on average for his deal. He is a better QB. Kyler Murray has potential but Watson has made the playoffs twice and won a playoff game. Both play for dysfunctional franchises.

Difference between Kyler and Watson cap hit next year is 1 mil. After that his contract hits but in that time we will be exploring Kyler's extension.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not crazier than the Tua for Watson rumor. Texans are screwed on this one.

The Texans should take that one. Tua two #1s and a #2? On a team that needs 2-3 years to rebuild its roster at the very least...

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol this won't age well

But honestly watson would be dope and he is a proven winner and really likes hop

But no way on earth that happens

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Keim cant even manage a rookie qb salary. You know how bad this team would regress with a 40 mill qb salary???

The only think that Watson is noticeable better than Kyler is throwing outside of the pocket. But its a push every where else and Kyler has a better overall arm talent.

Watson is good. Squeak is good... seems like a bunch of irrelevant jockeying

Let's get out of the way that I am a massive Kyler lover.....

Watson is better at every facet of the game right now except for running.
Watson is a top 5 QB. Kyler is a top 12 QB maybe 15.
Watson is a better passer, more efficient passer, with a more skilled pocket presence.

Watson is battle tested...... Kyler is not.

As far as leadership..... the jury is out because so much is unknown, but I do know that Watson's sideline presence is leaps and bounds ahead of Kyler.

As far as the cap goes...... Losing Pat P and restructuring Chandler gets us close. Kylers Cap Hit is 9.7mm in 21. Watson's is only 16mm in 21. Then it blows up to 40mm in 22, and 42mm in 23. Then it goes down to 37mm then 32mm.

By then (2024) we will be on the hook for atleast 44mm per year for Kyler.

Honestly guys....... Business wise, it makes sense. Football wise, it makes sense. And from the reporting...... WE LOVED Watson coming out of college.

I don't think it happens...... But it does feel worthy of consideration.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
More math:

Watson:
2021: 16mm
2022: 40mm
2023: 42mm
2024: 37mm
2025: 32mm

Kyler:
2021: 9.7mm
2022: 11.3mm
2023: 17mm <-- 5th yr option (assumed it will be picked up)
2024: 44mm <-- Best Guess
2025: 44mm <-- Best Guess

Total Watson: 167mm
Total Kyler: 126mm

This is the main question to me: Is Deshaun Watson worth roughly 40mm more over the next 5 years than Kyler?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the main question to me: Is Deshaun Watson worth roughly 40mm more over the next 5 years than Kyler?

It is not only the 40M, but the price tag also needs to include the draft picks it would take.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Let's get out of the way that I am a massive Kyler lover.....

Watson is better at every facet of the game right now except for running.
Watson is a top 5 QB. Kyler is a top 12 QB maybe 15.
Watson is a better passer, more efficient passer, with a more skilled pocket presence.

Watson is battle tested...... Kyler is not.

As far as leadership..... the jury is out because so much is unknown, but I do know that Watson's sideline presence is leaps and bounds ahead of Kyler.

As far as the cap goes...... Losing Pat P and restructuring Chandler gets us close. Kylers Cap Hit is 9.7mm in 21. Watson's is only 16mm in 21. Then it blows up to 40mm in 22, and 42mm in 23. Then it goes down to 37mm then 32mm.

By then (2024) we will be on the hook for atleast 44mm per year for Kyler.

Honestly guys....... Business wise, it makes sense. Football wise, it makes sense. And from the reporting...... WE LOVED Watson coming out of college.

I don't think it happens...... But it does feel worthy of consideration.
Let me clarify my position then, both situations are good and what Kyler currently is lacking is balanced by his youth with me feeling he will eventually meet the current expectations of Watson... we do not need a QB :)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
More math:

Watson:
2021: 16mm
2022: 40mm
2023: 42mm
2024: 37mm
2025: 32mm

Kyler:
2021: 9.7mm
2022: 11.3mm
2023: 17mm <-- 5th yr option (assumed it will be picked up)
2024: 44mm <-- Best Guess
2025: 44mm <-- Best Guess

Total Watson: 167mm
Total Kyler: 126mm

You aren't deducting the bonus that is spread across Watson's contract that would not follow him to AZ. Deduct 5.4 mil every year from 2021 through 2024 as that is what has been paid and is just spread out for cap purposes.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bottom line IMO is you can't answer the question is it a good trade without knowing what the trade is.

From what's out there Houston would be looking for multiple high picks, now most teams don't have a 23 year old Kyler to include in the deal so maybe they would ask less of us, but we don't know yet.