OT the DeShaun Watson trade stuff

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
If your QB is not better than Watson, you would be foolish not to put something together.

Oh I agree. As a Rams fan, I would be ecstatic if they could dump Goff and make a trade for Watson. I just find it very unlikely to happen, given the Rams lack of draft capital.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Four teams, I could see as suitors:

Philadelphia
New England
Washington
Indianapolis

Denver is pretty obvious too and apparently very interested if the Texans decide to do something

Denver would be awfully tempting, they have Sutton, Jeudy, Fant, Patrick, a decent RB tandem with Gordon and Lindsay, they have a high pick and a strong history. So the pick is #9 which is not top 4 but high enough if they throw in Lock you'd have 2 young QB's to work with in all likelihood.

They do need to fix their defense but part of that was they had 32 TO's.

If you google the trade you start seeing people talking 2 firsts and 2 seconds and a player, I'm just not sure how many teams have that to offer up even if the picks are spread over 2 years. Denver does

I think the most likely scenario is they don't trade him

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
too bad they canned Bill Obrien. Otherwise, we'd have s shot.
There is an argument to be made that we should be able to trade Kyler for Watson and get picks because of the salary differences and Watson's attitude to the organization.

If we could trade Kyler Murray and Christian Kirk for DeShaun Watson and Brandin Cooks...(which if Watson said he would hold out would be fair)...all day.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Spotrac must be wrong then. They show 67 mil in dead cap space.and 51 after June 1.
I think it is because it is reflecting that his 2020, 2021, and 2022 base is guaranteed which goes into the dead money if he is cut. However, in a trade the only dead money that remains with the team is the money paid as a signing bonus and spread out over the contract for cap purposes. The guaranteed base salary and roster bonus would be transferred to the team trading for him.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Someone is going to get him for a song and I'm going to be frustrated because we had the ammo to get him. I like Kyler, but like K9 said, when it is time to pay him, we hope he is as good as Watson.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
While Texans' Deshaun Watson reportedly 'just wants out', Jack Easterby lashes out at Patriots' Kraft family
Deshaun Watson reportedly “just wants out” of Houston four months after signing a contract extension and amid a chaotic few weeks that has executive vice president of football operations Jack Easterby at its center, Sports Illustrated’s Greg Bishop and Jenny Vrentas reported on Saturday.

It is one of a handful of nuggets surrounding a franchise that is facing calls for Easterby’s firing and drew blowback for its hire of New England Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio as the new general manager.
You must be registered for see images attach

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’m sorry and I may be in the minority here but I would trade Kyler for Watson ASAP if it’s an option.

my reasoning is Watson is all in and has a great (assuming here) relationship with Hopkins. Kyler IMO is not fully invested , again IMO. It may be his size or whatever but he just doesn’t seem to have that “win at all costs “ attitude you want the leader of your team to have .

why if works, Kyler may thrive in Houston and that’s ok. He’s from there and may welcome the opportunity. Watson, would be a better fit in this offense and along with the aforementioned relationship with Watson would thrive . He also has a level of toughness that Kyler lacks.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There is an argument to be made that we should be able to trade Kyler for Watson and get picks because of the salary differences and Watson's attitude to the organization.

If we could trade Kyler Murray and Christian Kirk for DeShaun Watson and Brandin Cooks...(which if Watson said he would hold out would be fair)...all day.

I would do that in a heartbeat. But, not going to happen.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m sorry and I may be in the minority here but I would trade Kyler for Watson ASAP if it’s an option.

my reasoning is Watson is all in and has a great (assuming here) relationship with Hopkins. Kyler IMO is not fully invested , again IMO. It may be his size or whatever but he just doesn’t seem to have that “win at all costs “ attitude you want the leader of your team to have .

why if works, Kyler may thrive in Houston and that’s ok. He’s from there and may welcome the opportunity. Watson, would be a better fit in this offense and along with the aforementioned relationship with Watson would thrive . He also has a level of toughness that Kyler lacks.

He's better right now yes, I don't know I buy the he fits this offense better unless you believe all the quick drops and short throws are NOT the offense but just Kyler checking down, and we don't really know. Watson holds the ball a long time, the Texans have been coaching him to stop doing that for over 2 years now. he had an amazing year this year, but mostly in losses, much of it with the game over, and he still took way more sacks than Kyler did. He gets the ball downfield much more effectively than Kyler does but if he's put into a system that says short drops get the ball out, will he? Because his first 4 years in the NFL says he won't, he never has before.

I'd argue we SHOULD be throwing downfield more but I think if we somehow did this deal, which again was a Mitch fantasy post, all those posts about what a great job Kugler is doing as OL coach would probably go out the window as we'd suddenly see an increase in sacks.

In a perfect world yes Watson is better, but there are so many other considerations.

My main issue with Kyler is we need to find out how good he can be without running, this year when he got hurt it wasn't very good, if that's his reality then that's not a good thing.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Adam Schefter
⁦‪@AdamSchefter‬⁩

You must be registered for see images

There is a growing sense from people in and around the Texans’ organization that Deshaun Watson has played his last snap for the team. It’s early in the off-season, there’s a lot of time left, but Watson’s feelings cannot and should not be underestimated.

1/17/21, 11:48 AM
You must be registered for see images

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Watson's stated choice for the next Houston head coach was either Eric Bieniemy or Robert Saleh. Saleh is now the Jets coach.

IMHO, Houston should ship him to the Jets. Take Darnold, the Jets first round choices, and whatever else they can get. Use the number two pick for their quarterback of the future and let him sit behind Darnold for a year (or until Darnold's annual injury).

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It’s ridiculous to want Watson over Murray. With our OL, Watson would get sacked 60-70 times. You’ve drafted your QBOTF. Now build around him & shut the hell up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose