What we should have done with the WR room

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
With all the talk about how much help we need at WR, why does no one really talk about who we let walk?

Ive been on record stating that letting Damiere Byrd go as well as Pharoah Cooper were huge oversights on Keim’s part.

These two guys were simply clutch and surprisingly efficient. Cooper was also amazing as a return man.

Retaining these two guys with the addition of Hopkins this past offseason would have made our WR room as good as any.

In this offseason of endless frustration that’s what I’m stewing over today :hammer:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It's hard to pay more guys when we invested 4 picks at WR years prior and should have had contribution for cheaper. I mean, that's also ignoring that last year we had a ton of holes to fill. It was time to expect those guys to make a next step.

OP
OP
JosiahLee

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Cardinals did not have a player ranked in the top 40 for kickoff returns or the top 50 for punt returns. Let that sink in as you contemplate that there are only 32 NFL teams.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With all the talk about how much help we need at WR, why does no one really talk about who we let walk?

Ive been on record stating that letting Damiere Byrd go as well as Pharoah Cooper were huge oversights on Keim’s part.

These two guys were simply clutch and surprisingly efficient. Cooper was also amazing as a return man.

Retaining these two guys with the addition of Hopkins this past offseason would have made our WR room as good as any.

In this offseason of endless frustration that’s what I’m stewing over today :hammer:

Listen if your counting on Pharoh Cooper and Damien Byrd something is seriously wrong. Just because it’s different doesn’t mean it’s better.

neither of those guys are anything special at all matter fact below average at best.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Listen if your counting on Pharoh Cooper and Damien Byrd something is seriously wrong. Just because it’s different doesn’t mean it’s better.

neither of those guys are anything special at all matter fact below average at best.
While not wrong they’re also not worse than what we trotted out and byrds speed would have been more useful than isabusta and Cooper’s returns would have have been better than the dreck we trotted out there game in and game out.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While not wrong they’re also not worse than what we trotted out and byrds speed would have been more useful than isabusta and Cooper’s returns would have have been better than the dreck we trotted out there game in and game out.

true we need an overhaul at WR, but you couldn’t account for Kirk taking a massive step backwards. He dropped a couple TDs in close games and I think someone posted a star he didn’t have one broken tackle all year and Fitz is just done now. On paper it looked good at the start of the year

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cooper wasn't really that good but he was better than the drek that was thrown out there to return punts all year.

Byrd was meh as well.

I thought Jerry Sullivan was some sort of WR whisperer? Was he just ignored? Or was it just the lack of talent he had to work with? I really can't figure it out.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This.

Plus, he returned 20 punts for a whopping 5.9 yard average, and 18 kicks for a 23.9 yard average.

Kirk returned 22 punts for a 6.0 yard average.

:shrug:

...dave
With a different team. With our team he averaged 7.6 last year and 11.1 the year prior on punt returns.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Byrd isn't great, but in the second half of the last season showed good chemistry with Murray and was our best receiver
Certainly behind Hopkins would have been our best option
Kirk is a receiver u can't rely on when u really need him
We need a couple of receiver next season
A free agent and a draft pick

Isabella was inactive so presumably he will be cut
Kirk will finish his cardinals stint this year, contract year
A player regressing like him normally doesn't have a long NFL career, I hope to be wrong
Keesean is just a sixt rounder who would be a practice squad player in all almost every NFL team's

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I think you can fix the WR room through free agency.

First Tier

Curtis Samuel
Marvin Jones
Zach Pascal

Use Fitz money to pay one of these. Fitz has to go. They are all in the $9-10 million range.

Second Tier

Keelan Cole
David Moore
Dede Westbrook
Josh Reynolds

Probably looking at $3-4 million for any of these guys.

Third Tier

Keep Kirk as your #3 and then fill the balance from whomever you can bring into camp and can also play special teams.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Allen has improved dramatically, but it’s sick how much separation the Bills receivers get. Diggs separation skills are significantly better than Hopkins. Murray would have Allen’s numbers too if he had Diggs & Beasley. This isn’t rocket science! We didn’t have 1 single WR whose main skill was to create separation. Not 1.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Allen has improved dramatically, but it’s sick how much separation the Bills receivers get. Diggs separation skills are significantly better than Hopkins. Murray would have Allen’s numbers too if he had Diggs & Beasley. This isn’t rocket science! We didn’t have 1 single WR whose main skill was to create separation. Not 1.

Devante Smith is a guy so smooth and fluid on his moves he can easily get open

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Helps when he has all day in the pocket as well:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

If the losses of Pharoah Cooper and Demerie Byrd are major issues please blow up the stadium.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought Jerry Sullivan was some sort of WR whisperer? Was he just ignored? Or was it just the lack of talent he had to work with? I really can't figure it out.

That's the problem. Sullivan was whispering all the time.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Can someone whose never had a single KO return TD and his longest return ever of 38 yards be deemed “amazing” ???
In relation to what KO have done with Cards the past decade...yes.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a different team. With our team he averaged 7.6 last year and 11.1 the year prior on punt returns.
Yeah, the 11.2 average in 2018 was in 2 games. One return for 45 yards and 5 more for an average of 4.4. And 7.6 yards per return in 2019 is hardly anything to write home about.

Would he have done better than Kirk? Sure, couldn't have been much worse. But it's not as though he's some incandescent talent on punt returns or an invaluable player who should never have been allowed to leave. Once again... it merits a big shrug.

Surprisingly, Kirk's 6.0 average was #15 among returners with 20+ returns. Cooper was #16 this year. If Cooper had been retained and repeated his 7.6 average from 2019, he'd have been #10.

...dbs

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose