The Market 2021

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
thats a really weird 5 year chart for 2021. lockdown has been good for home improvement.Good for lowes.

You must be registered for see images attach

Looking at 5 year charts makes everything look like a bad buy at this point.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Just wish I would've bought it in March.

I can say that about a lot of stuff. ;) Kicking myself for not dumping more into SQ and TSLA at the time.

This is not a recommendation for LOW, just sharing.

Any thoughts? I personally prefer them to HD partly because they are so close to me, have cleaner stores, and offer a permanent 10% veteran's discount.

I like Lowes better but usually shop at HD. There's one within 5 min. of me and the closest Lowes is like 15 min. away.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can say that about a lot of stuff. ;) Kicking myself for not dumping more into SQ and TSLA at the time.

I like Lowes better but usually shop at HD. There's one within 5 min. of me and the closest Lowes is like 15 min. away.

I think that is everyone's experience with HD and Lowes. Whichever is closer. Same with grocery and drugstores.

As far as buying the dip in March. Hindsight being 20/20. I did put quite a bit into the market in my Roth, but I did jump a little early before the market reached its low point at the end of March. Them's the breaks.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keep an eye on volatility folks.. the technicals show no breakdowns in the longer term trends of the vix and that it could be just a pullback since the March crash. The divergence of the vix from the $spx is the largest since the vix's inception.. these are warnings of black swans that investors should at least be aware of. Jmo.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but the only "bickering" was when someone jumped into the convo and complained about the mention of Trump.
Quite simply, Foster posted his joy in dumping Twitter. I offered a differing opinion about the basis for his reason to dump the stock, not knowing he intends to buy it back (since he left that part out of his post). No bickering...

It's ridiculous to pretend that it's possible to establish a firewall between economic and political matters. If you're talking about economics, you're talking about politics.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

I'm not interested in either stock, but I'm definitely in the camp of Home Depot over Lowe's as far as I where I shop. I have to drive twice as far to get to Home Depot, but I won't set foot in Lowe's if I can help it.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's ridiculous to pretend that it's possible to establish a firewall between economic and political matters. If you're talking about economics, you're talking about politics.

Discussing how the politics can affect economics and the market is fine and encouraged, but turning it into a personal political discussion/argument is best left for P&R.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For anyone interested in some TA...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Between the two I shop at Lowe's over Home Depot because of the politics of the HD owners, but that's all I'll say about it. There's another national chain I'll often choose over both, and if it's a small item I need, I'd prefer a neighborhood store, be it an independent store or a franchise.

I don't know the financials of any particular company, but home improvement could be a good recovery stock category because it *seems* as though the housing market will be hot again this year. Lots of work being done on new purchases and flips, plus renos with intent to sell because of high prices, or to stay in place because of high prices. This is all spread across local markets, of course.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's said that taxpayers pay for deficit spending with either increased taxes or inflation. We may not be able to see the inflation yet with small consumer goods right now, but we are certainly seeing it with assets like stocks and real estate. At some point we are going to see inflation across the board. It's just a matter of time.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Between the two I shop at Lowe's over Home Depot because of the politics of the HD owners, but that's all I'll say about it. There's another national chain I'll often choose over both, and if it's a small item I need, I'd prefer a neighborhood store, be it an independent store or a franchise.

I don't know the financials of any particular company, but home improvement could be a good recovery stock category because it *seems* as though the housing market will be hot again this year. Lots of work being done on new purchases and flips, plus renos with intent to sell because of high prices, or to stay in place because of high prices. This is all spread across local markets, of course.

I shop both but I like Lowe's for appliances because they can get them delivered and installed. I've been pleased with this part.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I shop both but I like Lowe's for appliances because they can get them delivered and installed. I've been pleased with this part.

When we rented a house in Elk Grove we bought a washer and dryer from Lowes. it was cheap and they kept trying to upsell us but eventually we got it. They delivered it and the install guy was great. i wanted the door reversed on the dryer so as not to be in the way when you transfer from the washer to the dryer, he did that and he told us outright this set it as good as ones that cost 3 or 400 more we sell, we're always surprised more people don't buy this set it's the best value in the store. We went cheap because we knew we were not staying and sure enough we moved and the w/d have been in a garage for over 2 years now. But we were really impressed with Lowes. We had looked at HD but less choice and it was very clear they were pushing the high efficiency ones and basically had no interest in selling us anything but HE which we didn't want since we knew it was just a short term thing. We didn't want to buy used and inherit problems so we bought new and cheap, Amana and it was actually very good when we were living there.
For work I much prefer Lowes to HD because it's easier to find stuff, but HD often has things I need that Lowes doesn't.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I typically just invest in Index Funds, but I picked up SPCE (Virgin Galactic) some months ago and it's up 85% now.

And last month I picked up LAZR (Luminar Tech) who is an autonomous vehicle sensor and Lidar technology compnay who designs, builds, and sells longe-range Lidar products for automibiles and I hope will be instrumental in the self-driving car arena. They are up 15% since I bought.

I also bought Smith & Wesson but they are down 7%. I didn't put too much $$ in them though.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When we rented a house in Elk Grove we bought a washer and dryer from Lowes. it was cheap and they kept trying to upsell us but eventually we got it. They delivered it and the install guy was great. i wanted the door reversed on the dryer so as not to be in the way when you transfer from the washer to the dryer, he did that and he told us outright this set it as good as ones that cost 3 or 400 more we sell, we're always surprised more people don't buy this set it's the best value in the store. We went cheap because we knew we were not staying and sure enough we moved and the w/d have been in a garage for over 2 years now. But we were really impressed with Lowes. We had looked at HD but less choice and it was very clear they were pushing the high efficiency ones and basically had no interest in selling us anything but HE which we didn't want since we knew it was just a short term thing. We didn't want to buy used and inherit problems so we bought new and cheap, Amana and it was actually very good when we were living there.
For work I much prefer Lowes to HD because it's easier to find stuff, but HD often has things I need that Lowes doesn't.

I also think Lowe's has gone out of its way to be more visually appealing and friendlier to women which is a no brainer considering the viewership of HGTV and social media sites like Pinterest.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I typically just invest in Index Funds, but I picked up SPCE (Virgin Galactic) some months ago and it's up 85% now.

And last month I picked up LAZR (Luminar Tech) who is an autonomous vehicle sensor and Lidar technology compnay who designs, builds, and sells longe-range Lidar products for automibiles and I hope will be instrumental in the self-driving car arena. They are up 15% since I bought.

I also bought Smith & Wesson but they are down 7%. I didn't put too much $$ in them though.
I keep looking at SPCE but feel I am way too late and am not super confident in them either way. Branson has always turned me off for whatever reason.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also think Lowe's has gone out of its way to be more visually appealing and friendlier to women which is a no brainer considering the viewership of HGTV and social media sites like Pinterest.

I've always been of the opinion that home depot is to fix your house and lowes is to make it look nice.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain what they think is going on with bitcoin?

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Blow off top that needs time to consolidate for another move higher. You have lots of levels below for support, so when and where it finds that is anyone's guess at this point imo.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yesterday's drop was due to Janet Yellen's unfavorable comments about Bitcoin. But it's par for the course.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yesterday's drop was due to Janet Yellen's unfavorable comments about Bitcoin. But it's par for the course.
That and a massive parabolic move that was bound to react likes moves like this past week at some point regardless.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The lucid car looks pretty cool. I think a lot of it outside of tsla is hopes to find something like it but totally unlikely. I do however think the lucid car looks cooler than most the tesla cars. Can't hurt to dabble a little though.
Really? I think it looks like someone took a Ford Probe and tricked it out for a product spot in Logan’s Run.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Really? I think it looks like someone took a Ford Probe and tricked it out for a product spot in Logan’s Run.

I like the looks of the Lucid Air a lot. It's much better looking than any of the Teslas. I've never liked the looks of them. If the merger with CCIV happens, which it seems like there's a lot of smoke on now, then it'll be interesting to see where the designs go too. Jony Ive is on the CCIV team. We could be seeing his designs come into play in the future.

It could also end up being a sign that that's who Apple ends up partnering with for their car tech. There's been new rumors lately of them partnering with a few different car companies and Lucid was one.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose