Deep thoughts with Oaken1 .....01/20

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Wow what a season.... we all knew back in august the second half was gonna be tough but I don’t recall anyone predicting we would be our own worst enemy.

The sad part is I think Keim and Kingsbury are on a five year plan. I think they have kylers rookie deal to show we can be a regular contender.

Lots of successes and failures this season so there appears to be lots to fix. But look at how we are put together. We brought in a guy who is supposed to be an offensive guru and gave him his ultimate chess piece to play with. Then we gave him an exe head coach to mind the defense so he doesn’t have to think about it.
That defense appears atrocious until you rank it with the other D’Souza in the league.... based on stats you can argue we have a top ten D..... and that was without CJ and half our Dline rotation.

So a crazy plan for a crazy situation. Play to our supposed strengths. In the off season my main goal for the defense is just to bring it back... minor changes, drop the guy in front of Simmons and sign a cheaper guy behind him. Deal with the Reddick situation as needed... pay PP21 as the 15th best corner or let him walk..... maybe throw in some incentives to make him feel better and a fat roster bonus for next year... but just keep the defense basically intact and bring it back.

Offense is a different story. We ain’t gonna win much by defense so we need to drop some hurtin bombs and stack points.... play to our supposed strength...
In free agency the best guard in the nfl is available... bring him in and don’t let him leave without a contract... give him money, buy him a subscription to ESPN, get his kids season passes to Disney land... but sign him.
Then go get Kenny Golladay. He is exactly what we need opposite nuk and can provide some leadership as well.
Sign a vet RB.... I don’t care if they keep Drake but it has to be for reasonable money....

Then the draft... here’s where it gets crazy.....
DOUBLE DOWN!!!

Rounds one two three get a RB a WR and an OG
Get them in any order based on value but get them
Then on draft night explain to these three rookies they weren’t drafted to develop,,, they are expected to be ready to start week one. They have access to the facilities, and the coaches... and they are expected to tighten up their fundamentals, add to their skills, and get stronger before the season starts..... because we plan to be the number one offense in the nfl and we can’t put up fifty points a game without them.

give kk everything he needs to be successful... take away the excuses...

joseph will have vets retuning from injury and a young lb, as, and cb who should improve in the off season so the D can still show some growth.

next season’s schedule is brutal.... stacking points is the only chance we have to be successful....

but we can still win if Kingsbury is even close to as good as he thinks he is

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
While I agree conceptually I don’t think it’s feasible from a $$$ perspective.

to return the defense intact it requires big $$$ to Reddick and some money to golden and some money to cb (be it pp or his replacement). And none that’s an upgrade.

scherff will be $$$$.

Golladay will be $$$.

a vet rb will be $.

so you’re likely talking three high $$$ signings in Reddick, Scherff, and Golladay. Look I’d love to see it but (a) I don’t think we have that cheddar; and (b) name me the last time keim signed a high profile top tier free agent.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Could be true. Never thought it would be a 5 year plan, but very possible unless it completely reverts back to the train wreck with Wilkes.

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Could be true. Never thought it would be a 5 year plan, but very possible unless it completely reverts back to the train wreck with Wilkes.
It’s purely speculation on my part mind you. But a few months before we hired kliff I saw a couple articles talking about how team stability affects team success.... and I think Mike wants a long term answer at HC
Kyler being there gave us an opportunity to bring in a young coach with a fresh web and possibly have the next twenty years secured at both positions..... give us a bilicek and Brady situation..... Mike admires the Steelers and Keim admires the Patriots..... basically the two most stable teams in the league over the past couple decades
But they knew kliff was young and had no nfl experience.... seems to me putting him on the same two or three year plan as you would a seasoned coach is just setting him up for failure... so I think they gave him more time so he can adapt to the nfl

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow what a season.... we all knew back in august the second half was gonna be tough but I don’t recall anyone predicting we would be our own worst enemy.

The sad part is I think Keim and Kingsbury are on a five year plan. I think they have kylers rookie deal to show we can be a regular contender.

Lots of successes and failures this season so there appears to be lots to fix. But look at how we are put together. We brought in a guy who is supposed to be an offensive guru and gave him his ultimate chess piece to play with. Then we gave him an exe head coach to mind the defense so he doesn’t have to think about it.
That defense appears atrocious until you rank it with the other D’Souza in the league.... based on stats you can argue we have a top ten D..... and that was without CJ and half our Dline rotation.

So a crazy plan for a crazy situation. Play to our supposed strengths. In the off season my main goal for the defense is just to bring it back... minor changes, drop the guy in front of Simmons and sign a cheaper guy behind him. Deal with the Reddick situation as needed... pay PP21 as the 15th best corner or let him walk..... maybe throw in some incentives to make him feel better and a fat roster bonus for next year... but just keep the defense basically intact and bring it back.

Offense is a different story. We ain’t gonna win much by defense so we need to drop some hurtin bombs and stack points.... play to our supposed strength...
In free agency the best guard in the nfl is available... bring him in and don’t let him leave without a contract... give him money, buy him a subscription to ESPN, get his kids season passes to Disney land... but sign him.
Then go get Kenny Golladay. He is exactly what we need opposite nuk and can provide some leadership as well.
Sign a vet RB.... I don’t care if they keep Drake but it has to be for reasonable money....

DOUBLE DOWN!!!

Then on draft night explain to these three rookies they weren’t drafted to develop,,, they are expected to be ready to start week one. They have access to the facilities, and the coaches... and they are expected to tighten up their fundamentals, add to their skills, and get stronger before the season starts..... because we plan to be the number one offense in the nfl and we can’t put up fifty points a game without them.

joseph will have vets retuning from injury and a young lb, as, and cb who should improve in the off season so the D can still show some growth.

next season’s schedule is brutal.... stacking points is the only chance we have to be successful....

ding ding ding he have a winner

If we stand pat on defense I’m thinking the evolution of Isiah Simmons and Chandler Jones coming back could be huge plus our D Line was killed but injuries last year.

this offseason offense offense offense. We desperately need weapons and a new guard or two

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No there isn’t a five year plan in the NFL, but since MB canned Wilkes after one year, He cannot be viewed as an owner with a quick hook, he will only get the bottom of the barrel head coaches to choose from in the future. This alone gives KK more time than maybe he deserves. And yes many see KK as bottom of the barrel, but they rolled the dice on this and seem to be letting it ride

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

DOUBLE DOWN!!!

With all of that said, just remember, we have Steve Keim doing all of that sooooooooooo...................lol. To be continued.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No there isn’t a five year plan in the NFL, but since MB canned Wilkes after one year, He cannot be viewed as an owner with a quick hook, he will only get the bottom of the barrel head coaches to choose from in the future. This alone gives KK more time than maybe he deserves. And yes many see KK as bottom of the barrel, but they rolled the dice on this and seem to be letting it ride
Wilks
Kliff

more bottom of the barrel than the bottom of the barrel?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't get RB, WR, OG in 1,2,3 and completely ignore our worst position. (CB). I would argue that you could go CB, CB, (either RB, WR, OG) with their picks and it would probably help the team the most.

If we went CB, CB, we could get rid of Pat P and use that money on an OG/C. I'd much rather pay for a known quantity there.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Take Fitz money and sign Marvin Jones for $9 million and put him opposite Hopkins and save a couple million. Golladay is going to cost close to twice that.