The rich get richer...

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
3 black head coaches and 2 GM's in the NFL in 2020. One of those coaches was fired.

Giving people more opportunity is a good thing. If it takes draft picks to make it happen in the NFL, then that is what needs to happen today. Sad that it has to come to that.

Juza - with all due respect, your examples are way off base.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Call me old fashion but I like to get the best people for the job, whether they are white, black or whatever. I feel giving draft picks for picking black people is not only demeaning, but dangerous and as Juza said keeps people thinking there are differences
not old fashioned, just common sense.

this is further propagating racial divide

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3/32 is 9% and the black population in the US is 13%....

its not that far off and not deserving of extra picks to rectify... its truly insulting to the black community to give picks out as an "atta boy" for hiring a black man

Now tell what is the NFL player representation for Black players in the league?

I’ll give you a hint... it’s 70%.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jan/31/nfl-tv-coverage-racial-demographics-super-bowl

When your industry is 70% Black but the leadership positions are repped at a 9% clip, that’s PATHETIC.

what’s truly insulting is that the league HAS to offer draft picks to give Black coaches opportunities in a sport where they overrepresent the entire league. But the league is still so racist, that I fully support them doing so just to ensure Black coaches get an even somewhat fair shake.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

call me crazy but a combo of 4 Black coaches/GMs out of 64 possible jobs, in a league dominated by Black Players does more harm for the racial divide in this country than trying to give Black coaches the opportunities they rightly deserve.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its like putting in evidence the racial differences
Especially when u call them minority nowdays

What the next giving a second round pick to a team that decide to play a white running back?

Or reduce taxes for interracial families

no... it’s actually showing how atrocious the racial DISPARITY is between white coaches getting opportunities in a sport dominated by Black people that the league has to PAY teams not to be racist.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Colleges have about 10 percent black head coaches. High school is different of course, because predominantly black (area) high schools have 47% (?!) black head coaches and predominantly white high schools have 95% white head coaches, or something like that (quick google search). One could say that the coaching profession is racist, but it doesn't make sense then that predominantly black high schools have only 47% black head coaches. Who are the white people in these schools demanding that the coach be white? And the demographics of football and sports in general (other than "Olympic" sports?) is black. So it would seem that no one is really forcing a white coach on any team. In college you have the donors and what not which I would say are majority Caucasian, but do they care more about that than the quality of the coach?

If college (FBS) is 10%, why would we expect the NFL to be much higher? Perhaps black men and women don't want to coach? Is there some coaching school that supplies coaches and only takes white applicants? Could be my rose-colored glasses, but it is hard to call something racist just by looking at numbers. I would love to know more about why/why not people get into coaching, because clearly the pool of qualified candidates does NOT match the demographic of the "sport population".

Last edited:

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its like putting in evidence the racial differences
Especially when u call them minority nowdays

What the next giving a second round pick to a team that decide to play a white running back?

Or reduce taxes for interracial families

Uh oh. Methinks you just poked the "woke brigade" of ASFN. I won't know as I use the "ignore" feature for most.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
3/32 is 9% and the black population in the US is 13%....

its not that far off and not deserving of extra picks to rectify... its truly insulting to the black community to give picks out as an "atta boy" for hiring a black man

Now quote the % of minority players in the NFL. See the problem?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Uh oh. Methinks you just poked the "woke brigade" of ASFN. I won't know as I use the "ignore" feature for most.

I didn't want to hurt anyone feelings
Was just a strong example how these hypocrasis doesn't help to fight the racism but does the opposite

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Look, this is about money and it comes down to money and perspective of the person with money which is the owner. The perspective of the white owners is not right (and that's putting it mildly) but forcing a change by using compensatory picks does not solve the problem because the ignorant ideology of the owners will stay the same but only causes more friction that two wrongs make a right

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score

call me crazy but a combo of 4 Black coaches/GMs out of 64 possible jobs, in a league dominated by Black Players does more harm for the racial divide in this country than trying to give Black coaches the opportunities they rightly deserve.

its the NFL -- they've proven time and time again that they will hire ANYBODY as long as you can play/win. There is zero racial divide in the sport

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
3 black head coaches and 2 GM's in the NFL in 2020. One of those coaches was fired.

Giving people more opportunity is a good thing. If it takes draft picks to make it happen in the NFL, then that is what needs to happen today. Sad that it has to come to that.

Juza - with all due respect, your examples are way off base.
2 3rd round picks is such a huge competitive advantage though. It makes me wonder about the number of minorities even applying for these jobs. There are other explanations for demographic disparities besides bigotry.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose