OT the DeShaun Watson trade stuff

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a UCLA board I'm on someone was saying they think the trade that nobody seems to be talking about that would make a ton of sense would be Watson to the Cards for Kyler Murray. They had other things involved but the general idea was, Watson would be reunited with Hopkins, and Murray would go home to Texas.

I weighed in as a Cards fan and said the only way that would even remotely make sense is if the Cards thought Murray was somewhat likely to abandon football for baseball at some point, and if that were the case, Houston would have no interest.

Watson's salary absolutely goes ballistic after this year, up to 16 million next year and then 40, 42, 37 and 32 the next 4 years. It would make no sense at all for the Cards to trade Murray on a rookie contract for Watson unless they either don't think Murray will stick to football, or they think Watson is dramatically better and that's just not apparent to me. Better thrower, not as good or as willing a runner, already had major knee surgery, 2 years older and again very close to a huge contract bump.

I came here expecting to see at least some discussion on him but I guess not or I missed the thread. As long as the 49ers don't get him I actually hope he does get moved if he wants to go, if I had to guess I'd say the most logical ones are the Broncos or Falcons. Broncos several good young WR's, history of being good, has a young QB they can throw in plus a draft pick. Atlanta has the draft pick at 4 that would almost guarantee Houston could get a QB if they made the deal.

I don't fully understand the cap implications if they trade Watson, how much dead cap they get etc. People were saying Miami but they already said they are keeping Tua.

It is pretty remarkable if it happens, you just don't see guys at 25-26 years old, in their prime, get moved.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no chance

That's my take too it makes no sense again unless we were worried about baseball and if we were, he would be impossible to trade evreyone else would have the same concern.

I wouldn't do the deal anyways I prefer Kyler, better runner, we can talk he's smaller and might get hurt but so far of the 2 one has had ACL surgery and one hasn't. Watson has a tendency to hold the ball much longer which means he gets hit far more often.

I think Watson is great and if he does want out I hope it happens, but I have to admit I hadn't even thought of it with the Cards until this guy said that. Seems largely based on Kyler from Texas and Hopkins back with Watson.

I have not seen anybody discussing this but on the UCLA board and the ones that were discussing it frankly had no real insight.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reaction score

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Houston is going to want a ton of draft picks and that’s a big no.

we need weapons for our own young QB.

Mitch is a clown

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No way we make this trade in a contracting year like this. With revenues down, you don't trade a good QB on a rookie deal for a player maybe 10-20 % better that is owed $150 million. Straight up, that deal heavily favors Houston.

Keep in mind, Kyler being on a rookie deal means we have MUCH more cap space to build around him. I would not get behind this trade unless you knew for sure Watson was 100% the missing piece to this roster as it is now to win a super bowl.

Not with this set of WRs, DL, and DBs that all need serious upgrades. Hard pass.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trade makes sense, but MB and Keim aren't famous for their "spirit of adventure" (although the drafting and trading of Rosen to make room for Murray might signal the dawn of a bright new age).

I just think it would be too grandiose a move to fit in with the Cardinal culture under Keim and Bidwill.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way we make this trade in a contracting year like this. With revenues down, you don't trade a good QB on a rookie deal for a player maybe 10-20 % better that is owed $150 million. Straight up, that deal heavily favors Houston.

Keep in mind, Kyler being on a rookie deal means we have MUCH more cap space to build around him. I would not get behind this trade unless you knew for sure Watson was 100% the missing piece to this roster as it is now to win a super bowl.

Not with this set of WRs, DL, and DBs that all need serious upgrades. Hard pass.

Exactly the contracts make it pointless and again the only way we'd even consider is if we thought Kyler was going to quit and play baseball and then Houston wouldn't do the deal.

I'm not even all that convinced Watson is much better than Kyler as I said awhile back the reason his % is higher is he never throws the ball away, which is why he takes so many sacks. He throws downfield more but then I would assume if we had Will Fuller, and in past years D Hop too, we'd throw downfield more too. And Houston has literally been coaching him to stop holding the ball that long they love that he wants to make plays downfield, they hate all the sacks that kill drives.

Great player, not knocking him at all, but the combination of the contract and him not being clearly significantly better makes the deal a non starter IMO

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trade makes sense, but MB and Keim aren't famous for their "spirit of adventure" (although the drafting and trading of Rosen to make room for Murray might signal the dawn of a bright new age).

I just think it would be too grandiose a move to fit in with the Cardinal culture under Keim and Bidwill.

IMO it doesn't make sense beyond the Kyler is from Texas, Hopkins played with Watson connections.

Yes it would be good for Houston to get another very good young starting QB, salary dump, and get rid of an unhappy player but that doesn't mean Kyler would like the deal, they might replace one unhappy guy with another. And if Kyler were unhappy, he has baseball as leverage.

I should have known Mitch loves to dream up things like this.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hahaha cards luck murray would go win a sb with Houston and watson would tear his acl here cause of bad lline....

I like Watson but rather have murray cause of money

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mitch and Harry had a love child named Dr Suess.

they all love to write and it gets in the way of quality takes

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Watson is injury-prone. So far, Murray has never missed a game. Murray haters would say “bUt hE pUlLeD hIs hAmStRiNg” and “iNjUrEd hIs aNkLe and sHoUldEr” yet he still never missed a game. Murray is also more of a pure passer.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch's take is more about dumping Kingsbury than Kyler.

After fretting about this for weeks I am firmly in the fire everyone camp now. Kyler's rookie contract even if he is only a top 10 QB is gold.

I don't trust anyone in the organization to properly use that right now

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

After fretting about this for weeks I am firmly in the fire everyone camp now. Kyler's rookie contract even if he is only a top 10 QB is gold.

But is two years enough time to bring in a top down new staff and have them show positive results on the field?
Next year’s schedule is brutal... even with moderate improvement it will take luck to get to 8-8 ..... make Kingsbury ride out the disaster just to end any thoughts he may have about being a head coach again

I only see one way we have a shot at the playoffs next year and Keim won’t do it

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

nope. We are totally blowing the low cap number for a rookie QB and next year will be the lamest duck year ever.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose