Suns updates and discussion for the 2020-21 season

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It could be the pick-and-rolls don't work. That may be why they are not run more. I'm sure Ayton is being coached on the proper way to do it so that's on him.

Chris Paul of all people should know how to do it.

Except that Chris Paul is playing as though he is semi-retired and just collecting the rest of his contract. The Suns, and in particular James Jones, got hoodwinked again.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He's setting them too high. The defense recovers in time so the pass can't be made.

My problem is that he does it EVERY SINGLE PLAY. Every one. It's predictable.
Such good points. I’ve never seen a less effective pick and roll.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They are running picks on every play, but he's not rolling most of the time. That's designed, not because Ayton doesn't want to do it.
Even when he does roll it’s late and it’s never sealing the defender, but rather he allows the defender the best position possible.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Booker has just been bad this year. He’s been a turnover machine and has just made some real head scratching plays.
True, but not his fault. He is a superior Shooting Guard, but not a Point Guard.
The more he plays Point Guard, the less he is playing Shooting Guard.

The multi-superstar backcourt, as has been posted, does not work, no
matter how many times the Suns try it over the years. It's a gimmick!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, but not his fault. He is a superior Shooting Guard, but not a Point Guard.
The more he plays Point Guard, the less he is playing Shooting Guard.

The multi-superstar backcourt, as has been posted, does not work, no
matter how many times the Suns try it over the years. It's a gimmick!

totally right. Isiah Thomas and Joe Dumars was a disaster.

KJ and Horny... complete and utter crap.

Tony Parker and Manu Ginobli... atrocious!

Steph and Klay... truly pathetic.

Terry Porter and Clyde Drexler... a joke!

Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum... pathetic!

Westbrook and Harden on OKC... worst ever!

Chris Paul and James Harden who were 1 game away from winning the West and a definite title after... horrible!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
totally right. Isiah Thomas and Joe Dumars was a disaster.

KJ and Horny... complete and utter crap.

Tony Parker and Manu Ginobli... atrocious!

Steph and Klay... truly pathetic.

Terry Porter and Clyde Drexler... a joke!

Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum... pathetic!

Westbrook and Harden on OKC... worst ever!

Chris Paul and James Harden who were 1 game away from winning the West and a definite title after... horrible!
Well, it hasn't worked for the Suns!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it hasn't worked for the Suns!

we’re 7-4, after a hurried rush to the season where there’s a lot of moving parts that haven’t had time to yet show us if it’s worked or not yet.

do I have faith it’s going to work? Eh... probably 50/50 but if it doesn’t it’s going to be because CP3 is pretty washed up. Not because of some inane “superstars can’t play together!” CP3 ain’t even close to a superstar. He’s as pure of a PG as possible in the nba right now.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They are running picks on every play, but he's not rolling most of the time. That's designed, not because Ayton doesn't want to do it.

he’s being told to set them at the 3 point line if it’s happening every play??

hell im watching Chris Paul point to where he wants him to set the pick and it’s at the line.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Uh I don’t know what the hell he’s doing then because he goes to the basket every time after setting the pick.

ask Monty that’s the offense. He runs to top 3 point line and sets a pick. Chris Paul is about as technically sound a PG as has ever played this game that’s obviously where he wants his pick set at.

it looks like the Rockets system

set a high pick, go towards the basket if the defense goes with Paul it gets passed to Ayton. Ayton gets the ball and whatever defender leaves his man Ayton passes it back out in that direction. It’s to get open 3s not score in the paint.

there’s a ton of things that happen off that pick. Casual fans see a pick and automatically assume it’s a pick and roll Malone and Stockton style but that’s not the case.

that’s why we are seeing zones cause there not giving up the paint and daring us to shoot

we’re pretty much running the Rockets old offense

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh and watch that video on mute idk who put that crap music to it

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Friday's game is also postponed against the Warriors.

At least that gives us time to get Cam Payne healthy and hopefully get Jalen Smith back.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Friday's game is also postponed against the Warriors.

At least that gives us time to get Cam Payne healthy and hopefully get Jalen Smith back.

There have only been 9 games postponed so far this season but given that 8 of those have been since the 10th of this month, I'm losing confidence in the idea that we'll have anything close to a full season. I wouldn't be surprised to see it halted in the next week or two, in which case we'll have plenty of time to get Cam and Jalen back. :(

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Player A
Points 15.2
Ast 5.4
TO 2.6
2pt% 46%
Team record 4-7

Player B
Points 13.3
Ast 8.7
TO 1.6
2pt% 48%
Team record 7-4

Chris Paul’s stats in the first 11 games of last year with OKC versus his stats through the first 11 games with the Suns (with a shortened offseason and shortened preseason).

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Player A
Points 15.2
Ast 5.4
TO 2.6
2pt% 46%
Team record 4-7

Player B
Points 13.3
Ast 8.7
TO 1.6
2pt% 48%
Team record 7-4

Chris Paul’s stats in the first 11 games of last year with OKC versus his stats through the first 11 games with the Suns (with a shortened offseason and shortened preseason).

So an improvement from CP3. Then who has not improved?

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Player A
Points 15.2
Ast 5.4
TO 2.6
2pt% 46%
Team record 4-7

Player B
Points 13.3
Ast 8.7
TO 1.6
2pt% 48%
Team record 7-4

The biggest takeaway in that is the team record, I didn't realise they had started that poorly.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Ayton is setting the picks but I'm not seeing the roll to the basket. So he knows how to do half of the equation.

It's hard to explain it from a basketball standpoint.
The frustrating thing is that it looks like he's gotten LESS aggressive over time. Look at some of these Summer League highlights from his first year:

The very first play he passes without ever looking at the rim but on the others he seems much more aggressive, dunking, getting good position and sealing (though nobody on that team could get him the ball) and otherwise looking to score a lot more than he is now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The frustrating thing is that it looks like he's gotten LESS aggressive over time. Look at some of these Summer League highlights from his first year:

The very first play he passes without ever looking at the rim but on the others he seems much more aggressive, dunking, getting good position and sealing (though nobody on that team could get him the ball) and otherwise looking to score a lot more than he is now.

Such a dramatic difference. We are missing the aggressive 2018 Summer League Ayton.

It's almost like watching a different player now. I kept viewing summer league footage of him over and over again. It's hard to believe it's the same player.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Such a dramatic difference. We are missing the aggressive 2018 Summer League Ayton.

It's almost like watching a different player now. I kept viewing summer league footage of him over and over again. It's hard to believe it's the same player.

the scary part is it might not be the same player. We have to start asking whether or not college/first year Ayton looked so much more explosive because he was on PEDs. Because after he came back from the suspension, he never quite had that same spring in his step when he came back last year.

People were blaming it on his ankle injury, but then they got two and a half months off snd in the bubble still looked pretty lethargic, all his numbers went down and now, it seems like he’s winded in the 2nd quarter and just has almost ZERO explosion. He can still move laterally pretty well, and has learned to use his body positioning on D, but he’s still not blocking shots and he’s just got NOTHING on offense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose