Suns updates and discussion for the 2020-21 season

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Suns had another center capable of starting, I'd consider moving Ayton to power forward or the bench. The Suns need to switch it up in some way. Ayton has regressed offensively. Could it be he feels too much pressure from Chris Paul?

Starting Cam Johnson might be the next best move. If Jalen Smith were ready, I'd consider starting him at power forward.

The Jalen Smith idea isn't terrible if he wasn't so dang raw, I think his athleticism and willingness to attack the basket could definitely help but I just don't think he is ready yet.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Jalen Smith idea isn't terrible if he wasn't so dang raw, I think his athleticism and willingness to attack the basket could definitely help but I just don't think he is ready yet.

Too bad Smith has only played two games this season and has been out due to health and safety protocols. This would have been a golden opportunity for him to play.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How exactly? Even if we wanted and I am sure Monty and Jones don't want to, we are stuck with him for the next two years. His contract makes him virtually undtradeable.

Unless there is another team with an equally toxic contract or a disgruntled player that asks to be traded...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

He isn't. Give him 2 years or so, and I think we will be pleased with what we see, but I think it is a mistake to try to accelerate his role based on team needs now.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Problem is Book. Not great on offense not great on defense. Ayton barely gets a pass and that’s mostly due to defense and size alone.

Booker consistently over dribbles and the ball just does not move. Least Ayton picks the guys that’s open.

Isn’t bookers usage still the same as last year? As someone mentioned. If true, then why and how?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is Booker playing as well as he did last season? No. But that's really not the crucial issue...
Is Paul still trying to find the rhythm with this team? Yes. But that's really not the crucial issue either...
Is Crowder a legit starter, or is he better coming off the bench? Very debatable and solid points can be made on both sides...
Is Bridges still too inconsistent? Yea... he is. But that too isn't the crux of the matter here...

The bottom line is that it all comes back to Ayton. Paul is trying to get Ayton involved as early and as often as possible. He's trying to teach, motivate and lead Ayton in real-time, real game situations. But as Eddie Johnson said so well when asked about this situation: "You can lead the horse to water, but he has to choose to drink!" Ayton needs to own his part of the bargain. The fact that Ayton went to the line 3 times in these past three road games is a HUGE issue and speaks volumes as to where Ayton's heart and head are at.
All of his bloviating in the preseason, referring to himself as a "killer" and how he has worked on his game to the point where he can "dominate from anywhere on the floor," is now laughable 11 games into the season.

I think we very well might see Cam step in for Crowder in the starting rotation. But, make no mistake, if Ayton doesn't step up and become a more consistent offensive presence, this team will continue to frustrate us... as, when they're hitting shots from the floor that will win, and when those shots aren't falling and there's no credible presence down low, we will lose...

so Ayton is the one going on 1 for 19 stretches from the 3 point line?

Ayton is the one not making in game adjustments when plan A isn’t working for the team? That’s not Ayton fault that’s Montys fault. They don’t try and change up to anything when the 3 isn’t falling. Booker and Paul are money from the mid range but nope just keep shooting 3s

Ayton is doing what’s asked of him. I know he’s a whipping boy here but he’s far from the #1 problem. They aren’t running pick and roles with anyone or posting anyone up. Devin Booker is a phenomenal post up player for a 2 guard and he doesn’t even do that anymore.

This team seems to have no plan. The offense is just swing it till you get an open 3, drive into the lane and kick out for a 3 and when there falling they look amazing but when that plan isn’t working they look real bad.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
By the way when the hell is Jalen Smith going to get on the court

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way when the hell is Jalen Smith going to get on the court

When he's cleared to play. He's been out because of the health and safety protocols. I would think he'll return soon. He's been out on that for over a week now.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is Booker playing as well as he did last season? No. But that's really not the crucial issue...
Is Paul still trying to find the rhythm with this team? Yes. But that's really not the crucial issue either...
Is Crowder a legit starter, or is he better coming off the bench? Very debatable and solid points can be made on both sides...
Is Bridges still too inconsistent? Yea... he is. But that too isn't the crux of the matter here...

The bottom line is that it all comes back to Ayton. Paul is trying to get Ayton involved as early and as often as possible. He's trying to teach, motivate and lead Ayton in real-time, real game situations. But as Eddie Johnson said so well when asked about this situation: "You can lead the horse to water, but he has to choose to drink!" Ayton needs to own his part of the bargain. The fact that Ayton went to the line 3 times in these past three road games is a HUGE issue and speaks volumes as to where Ayton's heart and head are at.
All of his bloviating in the preseason, referring to himself as a "killer" and how he has worked on his game to the point where he can "dominate from anywhere on the floor," is now laughable 11 games into the season.

I think we very well might see Cam step in for Crowder in the starting rotation. But, make no mistake, if Ayton doesn't step up and become a more consistent offensive presence, this team will continue to frustrate us... as, when they're hitting shots from the floor that will win, and when those shots aren't falling and there's no credible presence down low, we will lose...

Bloviayton

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Ayton is the one not making in game adjustments when plan A isn’t working for the team? That’s not Ayton fault that’s Montys fault. They don’t try and change up to anything when the 3 isn’t falling. Booker and Paul are money from the mid range but nope just keep shooting 3s

Ayton is doing what’s asked of him. I know he’s a whipping boy here but he’s far from the #1 problem. They aren’t running pick and roles with anyone or posting anyone up. Devin Booker is a phenomenal post up player for a 2 guard and he doesn’t even do that anymore.

This team seems to have no plan. The offense is just swing it till you get an open 3, drive into the lane and kick out for a 3 and when there falling they look amazing but when that plan isn’t working they look real bad.

Exculpayton

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

I don't know and neither do you, exactly what they're trying to run on offense... My gut tells me that since we acquired one of the best pick & roll PG's to ever play the game, that they have been trying extremely hard to use the pick & roll, along with other ways, to get Ayton into the offensive flow. Again - as the GREAT Eddie Johnson said yesterday, "you can bring the Horse to water but HE has to choose to drink!"
Aside from all of that - do you not put any blame on Ayton's inability to get to the free throw line? I mean - he NEVER draws fouls. He NEVER shows any force at the rim, or driving to the rim! It's a problem dude... don't look away.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know and neither do you, exactly what they're trying to run on offense... My gut tells me that since we acquired one of the best pick & roll PG's to ever play the game, that they have been trying extremely hard to use the pick & roll, along with other ways, to get Ayton into the offensive flow. Again - as the GREAT Eddie Johnson said yesterday, "you can bring the Horse to water but HE has to choose to drink!"
Aside from all of that - do you not put any blame on Ayton's inability to get to the free throw line? I mean - he NEVER draws fouls. He NEVER shows any force at the rim, or driving to the rim! It's a problem dude... don't look away.

Ayton is setting the picks but I'm not seeing the roll to the basket. So he knows how to do half of the equation.

It's hard to explain it from a basketball standpoint.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

that quote is as old as time.

but where do you see there trying extremely hard to use pick and rolls? I haven’t seen that all year with anybody let alone them trying to force it. I haven’t seen half court sets no post ups from Booker or Ayton.

this team has a problem making adjustments like the great Eddie Johnson also says when your outside shot isn’t falling drive to the basket but they don’t they just continue to jack up 3s even when there ice cold.

Booker and Paul are two of the best mid range players in the NBA and nope just stand behind the line and chuck up 3s

I get Ayton has become a whipping boy here but not everything is his fault. I’m looking at Monty number 1 for failing to make adjustments and then Booker and Paul. This was supposed to be Booker break our year instead he’s been horrible. I know what Ayton is and trust me the coaches do to they aren’t depending on him to score I don’t know what games your watching where they are trying to force feed him because that’s not happening at all

what did we shoot 50+ 3s against Detroit that’s insane

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unless there is another team with an equally toxic contract or a disgruntled player that asks to be traded...

How exactly is trading a bad contract for another bad contract going to make anything better? It won't.

I think Paul will start playing better, it's not like he has been horrible, just nowhere close to good enough for what we are paying him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read that Chris Paul spends the early part of each game trying to get Ayton involved in the pick-and-roll. I can't find the link at the moment.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think blaming all our problems on Ayton is ridiculous.

First off he's not that different from last season, he's just getting less shot attempts.

Second off with the starters the majority of our offense consists of a screen or two screens up top pass the ball to booker, wait for him to be doubled then he passes it out for a 3 point shot. This kind of works if we are making the three.

We need more cutters, we need more post ups, and we need more guys going to the basket off the dribble. This is a coaching issue to me. If we are shooting 20% from 3 at the half, Monty needs to be telling everybody to attack the rim. Now part of the problem is most of our players aren't very good at it, but I would still like to see them try when it is obvious the three isn't falling.

Really I think you are just angry Ayton has not developed the way you thought/wanted him to. I am angry about that also, but he is one guy on the team, and in that last game there wasn't anyone besides debatably Booker that played well.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've read that Chris Paul spends the early part of each game trying to get Ayton involved in the pick-and-roll. I can't find the link at the moment.

I have heard that too, but that isn't really happening. They are actually running very few pick and rolls.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ayton is setting the picks but I'm not seeing the roll to the basket. So he knows how to do half of the equation.

It's hard to explain it from a basketball standpoint.
He's setting them too high. The defense recovers in time so the pass can't be made.

My problem is that he does it EVERY SINGLE PLAY. Every one. It's predictable.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I have heard that too, but that isn't really happening. They are actually running very few pick and rolls.
They are running picks on every play, but he's not rolling most of the time. That's designed, not because Ayton doesn't want to do it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He's setting them too high. The defense recovers in time so the pass can't be made.

My problem is that he does it EVERY SINGLE PLAY. Every one. It's predictable.

It could be the pick-and-rolls don't work. That may be why they are not run more. I'm sure Ayton is being coached on the proper way to do it so that's on him.

Chris Paul of all people should know how to do it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave