Suns updates and discussion for the 2020-21 season

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When do the Suns need to decide on Ayton's Next Contract?

He'll be a restricted free agent after his 4th year so they have the rest of this season and next to decide. However they can offer him an extension after this season but that would.be a mistake. Typically only clear cut max guys get those early extensions. We'll see Luka and Trae Young get them next off-season but that's probably it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty is putting some thought into changing the starting lineup. Something is not working.

From Duane Rankin article, Arizona Republic:

"Ultimately I got to do what's best for the team," Williams said after the game. "And it may mean I may have to look at it enough and discuss it enough to where we have to make some type of change, but it doesn't matter what change you make. If you're not sharing the ball and playing hard consistently, which has been our formula, you can put a lot of groups out there and it's not going to work."

-------------------------------------------------

"I don't have the answer, but we have to figure it out," the All-Star Booker said after Monday's game. "That's something that will be conversated amongst the team, amongst the coaching staff, amongst the players, but it's obvious and it's evident right now that this first unit has to figure it out."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...ng-unit-just-11-games-into-season/6635242002/

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Monty is putting some thought into changing the starting lineup. Something is not working.

"Ultimately I got to do what's best for the team," Williams said after the game. "And it may mean I may have to look at it enough and discuss it enough to where we have to make some type of change, but it doesn't matter what change you make. If you're not sharing the ball and playing hard consistently, which has been our formula, you can put a lot of groups out there and it's not going to work."

"I don't have the answer, but we have to figure it out," the All-Star Booker said after Monday's game. "That's something that will be conversated amongst the team, amongst the coaching staff, amongst the players, but it's obvious and it's evident right now that this first unit has to figure it out."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...ng-unit-just-11-games-into-season/6635242002/

But it will ruin our 2nd unit which is better SMH

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But it will ruin our 2nd unit which is better SMH

I agree with your point but something is not clicking with the starters.

The lack of defensive effort bothers me the most. A lot of that comes from Cam Payne and Jevon Carter off the bench.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The only change he can make at this point is Cam Johnson for Jae Crowder. Maybe stick Dario out there instead of Ayton, but even with Ayton's problems, I'm not sure that's a good solution.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...its-strong-start/ar-BB1cGQLa?ocid=hplocalnews

Biggest problem is the "auto" offense, when cp3 goes out, then Booker seems to be in the "auto" mode. And they do take out cp3 about half way through the 1st qtr? Well maybe not that soon, but with a good 5 minutes left in the 1st.

Although Gallo gets hot, i wish they'd substitute the 2nd unit almost platoon style, has worked good for them when they have done so, seems they're more about ball movement aka "0.5" mode.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only change he can make at this point is Cam Johnson for Jae Crowder. Maybe stick Dario out there instead of Ayton, but even with Ayton's problems, I'm not sure that's a good solution.

unfortunately they would just get CRUSHED on the boards to begin games without Ayton.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The offense and defense are too slow with Paul on the floor, we have nobody to initiate the offense with Paul off the floor, and we have no inside scoring at all, except in the rare instances Ayton is aggressive.

Again, poorly constructed roster. We need a new GM.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
some fixes

1. apply the same testicle pull that makes broncos buck to Ayton at the start of games and give him the gloves football players wear to grip the ball. the jury's in on him this season. he's still starting because we need his size but if he doesn't improve he should be our sub next season. he looked better in college and in his 1st season. clearly, he's learned everything he can from Mark Bryant and we need a new big man coach.

2. a testicle pull for Monty also. when a team beats the best and loses to the worst, it's likely the coach is not motivating or intimidating. i know the stars control teams now and won't tolerate a coach that pushes hard but pushing works as long as the coach is respected. the Suns haven't had a tough coach since Scott Skiles but no one liked him, including me. (soft is also one of the reasons for replacing Kingsbury, btw)

3. deal with the reality that we're not a great shooting 3 point team (our opponents have). Booker, CP3 and Ayton don't go to the foul line enough, but have good mid-range shots. learn from Doncic. he forces the action from midrange -- fakes a few times till the shot opens up, a cutter opens up, he gets fouled or makes the shot.

4. vary that stinking crowd noise they pipe in. it's the same even when someone's shooting free throws and is almost unbearable

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Start Cam in place of Crowder. Hopefully that helps spacing and early scoring. Jae can come in for either Booker, Cam, or Mikal.

I was looking at the roster for possible trade pieces and outside of trading core pieces, we really don't have anyone who isn't on a minimum deal. Perhaps keeping Frank on his $5 million dollar option would habe helped facilitate a deal later this year. Otherwise we'll need to trade Dario, Crowder, or Carter. None of which I think are likely to be dealt and Carter makes so little that I don't see his salary matching anyone's.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Start Cam in place of Crowder. Hopefully that helps spacing and early scoring. Jae can come in for either Booker, Cam, or Mikal.

I was looking at the roster for possible trade pieces and outside of trading core pieces, we really don't have anyone who isn't on a minimum deal. Perhaps keeping Frank on his $5 million dollar option would habe helped facilitate a deal later this year. Otherwise we'll need to trade Dario, Crowder, or Carter. None of which I think are likely to be dealt and Carter makes so little that I don't see his salary matching anyone's.

Our best hope there remains to jettison Paul somehow.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do not think taking Ayton out of the lineup is a good idea at all. Most starting centers will eat Dario alive, and would kill us on the boards, Dario isn't exactly setting the world on fire himself right now either. Not to mention I hate to think how being moved to the bench would affect Ayton's already weak mental state.

Putting Cam in the starting lineup could be tried, but I don't think it will change much. What we are really missing is the ability to drive to the basket. It seems only Book has that ability in the starting 5 but he can't do it when he is being doubled.

The problems with the lineup are primarily with Book and Paul. Book is isolating to much, and Paul is not trying to score enough. Of course you can easily blame Ayton as well he does not roll hard, and he seems to not even want the ball - but frankly I have given up expecting that to change. At least he plays D pretty well.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Our best hope there remains to jettison Paul somehow.

How exactly? Even if we wanted and I am sure Monty and Jones don't want to, we are stuck with him for the next two years. His contract makes him virtually undtradeable.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I this this as a direct shot at Booker.

Ayton is doing what’s asked of him.

Booker has just been bad this year. He’s been a turnover machine and has just made some real head scratching plays.

They come down and chuck up 3s and when there not falling they have no back up plan they just continue to just come down and chuck up bricks.

No adjustments no anything and that’s on Monty

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do not think taking Ayton out of the lineup is a good idea at all. Most starting centers will eat Dario alive, and would kill us on the boards, Dario isn't exactly setting the world on fire himself right now either. Not to mention I hate to think how being moved to the bench would affect Ayton's already weak mental state.

Putting Cam in the starting lineup could be tried, but I don't think it will change much. What we are really missing is the ability to drive to the basket. It seems only Book has that ability in the starting 5 but he can't do it when he is being doubled.

The problems with the lineup are primarily with Book and Paul. Book is isolating to much, and Paul is not trying to score enough. Of course you can easily blame Ayton as well he does not roll hard, and he seems to not even want the ball - but frankly I have given up expecting that to change. At least he plays D pretty well.

I agree this is a Booker/ Paul problem

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In the right trade I think Crowder, Saric or Carter could be trade pieces. What handicaps the Suns is they can't trade a first round pick because of the Chris Paul trade.

Suns best bet might be able to sign a waived player for the BAE.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I this this as a direct shot at Booker.

Ayton is doing what’s asked of him.

Booker has just been bad this year. He’s been a turnover machine and has just made some real head scratching plays.

They come down and chuck up 3s and when there not falling they have no back up plan they just continue to just come down and chuck up bricks.

No adjustments no anything and that’s on Monty

It's a good point. I'm not sure who Monty is referring too. It could be the whole team.

Booker's turnovers are way down. He only has 9 turnovers over the last five games.

I'm not pleased with Ayton's play though. I can't give him a free pass.

I agree it's on Monty to make adjustments.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's a good point. I'm not sure who Monty is referring too. It could be the whole team.

Booker's turnovers are way down. He only has 9 turnovers over the last five games.

they are just so bi polar

it’s pretty much the Starters the bench brings it every game but the Starters look amazing one night then trash the next and the fact the team is even calling this out is so odd

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Is Booker playing as well as he did last season? No. But that's really not the crucial issue...
Is Paul still trying to find the rhythm with this team? Yes. But that's really not the crucial issue either...
Is Crowder a legit starter, or is he better coming off the bench? Very debatable and solid points can be made on both sides...
Is Bridges still too inconsistent? Yea... he is. But that too isn't the crux of the matter here...

The bottom line is that it all comes back to Ayton. Paul is trying to get Ayton involved as early and as often as possible. He's trying to teach, motivate and lead Ayton in real-time, real game situations. But as Eddie Johnson said so well when asked about this situation: "You can lead the horse to water, but he has to choose to drink!" Ayton needs to own his part of the bargain. The fact that Ayton went to the line 3 times in these past three road games is a HUGE issue and speaks volumes as to where Ayton's heart and head are at.
All of his bloviating in the preseason, referring to himself as a "killer" and how he has worked on his game to the point where he can "dominate from anywhere on the floor," is now laughable 11 games into the season.

I think we very well might see Cam step in for Crowder in the starting rotation. But, make no mistake, if Ayton doesn't step up and become a more consistent offensive presence, this team will continue to frustrate us... as, when they're hitting shots from the floor that will win, and when those shots aren't falling and there's no credible presence down low, we will lose...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Booker playing as well as he did last season? No. But that's really not the crucial issue...
Is Paul still trying to find the rhythm with this team? Yes. But that's really not the crucial issue either...
Is Crowder a legit starter, or is he better coming off the bench? Very debatable and solid points can be made on both sides...
Is Bridges still too inconsistent? Yea... he is. But that too isn't the crux of the matter here...

The bottom line is that it all comes back to Ayton. Paul is trying to get Ayton involved as early and as often as possible. He's trying to teach, motivate and lead Ayton in real-time, real game situations. But as Eddie Johnson said so well when asked about this situation: "You can lead the horse to water, but he has to choose to drink!" Ayton needs to own his part of the bargain. The fact that Ayton went to the line 3 times in these past three road games is a HUGE issue and speaks volumes as to where Ayton's heart and head are at.
All of his bloviating in the preseason, referring to himself as a "killer" and how he has worked on his game to the point where he can "dominate from anywhere on the floor," is now laughable 11 games into the season.

I think we very well might see Cam step in for Crowder in the starting rotation. But, make no mistake, if Ayton doesn't step up and become a more consistent offensive presence, this team will continue to frustrate us... as, when they're hitting shots from the floor that will win, and when those shots aren't falling and there's no credible presence down low, we will lose...

If the Suns had another center capable of starting, I'd consider moving Ayton to power forward or the bench. The Suns need to switch it up in some way. Ayton has regressed offensively. Could it be he feels too much pressure from Chris Paul?

Starting Cam Johnson might be the next best move. If Jalen Smith were ready, I'd consider starting him at power forward.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
they are just so bi polar

it’s pretty much the Starters the bench brings it every game but the Starters look amazing one night then trash the next and the fact the team is even calling this out is so odd

I find it really odd too. Mainly because I don't think anything can be done about it other than hopefully time on the court lets them mesh somehow.

But with all that said, we are still a very good team if we are making the 3. Everything falls apart when we aren't though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose