Suns updates and discussion for the 2020-21 season

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns getting some attention from Basketball News.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty is aware of the Suns slow pace but that's not where they want to be.

I think this should improve as the players gets more familiar with each other and execution improves.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul gives Ayton credit for being all ears regarding feedback.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul's mentality on switches has carried over to the other guards.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/deandre-ayton-suns-defensive-anchor/ar-BB1cwwKA

We have had Bridges, who we all know is the best wing defender in the nba. Then we add cp3 who has lost a step but can still defend in the post. And we add Crowder who's a swiss army knife of a defender. And now Booker is intensifying his defense. If you look at those highlights, sometimes its just not Ayton altering the shot, there's the other guys involved as well. I think overall our team defense and attention to detail has improved since preseason.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Zach Lowe is one of my favorite NBA media personalities and his most recent podcast (with Richard Jefferson) had a lengthy bit on the suns:

Happens about 42:30 in if you just want to skip to it. It was pretty positive and RJ had some interesting takes on Ayton and his role within the offense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns point guards are getting the job done.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul has a lot on his plate.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Zach Lowe is one of my favorite NBA media personalities and his most recent podcast (with Richard Jefferson) had a lengthy bit on the suns:

Happens about 42:30 in if you just want to skip to it. It was pretty positive and RJ had some interesting takes on Ayton and his role within the offense.
Good listen. Richard Jefferson is spot on in terms of monty needing be a tough teacher with Ayton.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Good listen. Richard Jefferson is spot on in terms of monty needing be a tough teacher with Ayton.
Yup, I thought the whole conversation was pretty spot on for the most part. I'm not familiar enough with how Dirk developed (and whether he had to be hard pushed into playing into the post) but that anecdote actually gave me a little more optimism for Ayton's development.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm glad there is some continuity on the coaching staff for Ayton. This is the first time he's had the same coach 2 years in a row since High School, at least. I believe he went to a couple of different high schools so It could have been longer. He had 1 year at UofA and then 1 year of Igor followed by Monty last year. He also had Mark Bryant as a big man coach last year and he's returned as part of Monty's staff so hopefully consistency will help him along.

I do think Igor deserves some credit for initially assigning Ayton the role of being a defensive leader. I don't think he's a leader but I do think his defense has been really solid in part because he was called on to do so much on that end right as he entered the league. The potential was present on that end but I think he's a much better defender than anyone would have guessed he'd be at this point. That's not saying he still doesn't have a ways to go in order to be great or get recognition nationally for his D.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yup, I thought the whole conversation was pretty spot on for the most part. I'm not familiar enough with how Dirk developed (and whether he had to be hard pushed into playing into the post) but that anecdote actually gave me a little more optimism for Ayton's development.
I would be optimistic but for Ayton’s present personality. Let’s not forget, dirk is a hall of famer. He has the drive to become one of the best. If ayton doesn’t he won’t follow suit. That’s said I also recall that dirk was pretty goofy early with nash so there’s hope...

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At this point, as of right now after this Wizards lost, who would do Ayton for KAT?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave