Suns @ Wizards Monday game thread 1-11-2021

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before Jalen Smith was hurt, he was in the rotation for a couple games. He is a smart player, made some good decisions in his appearances. Without him, Saric is the b/u 4, where he struggles to keep up with more mobile and athletic 4's. Smith is a better matchup, and will only get better with experience.

On most nights Saric is the backup 4/5. It would be great to have the option to rotate Smith at these positions as well.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Payne is officially out tonight.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You need to get your head out of the sand.

For some reason you don't think so, but Devin Booker does have PG skills whether you like it or not. And with no Cam Payne, Booker is easily our 2nd best Point Guard on the roster. And it doesn't "play into the hands of our opposition." Come on. Do you have such disrespect to Monty Williams that you think you know better about this point?

C'mon, Chap, it's not about me. Your personal attacks won't solve Suns' shortcomings.

I think you missed my point. As I said, every time Book is the backup Point Guard takes
minutes away from his position of Shooting Guard. He should be receiving the ball, not
primarily feeding it. And not having to keep up with quicker Point Guards on defense.

As far as Book's Point Guard skills, fine, as a distributing Shooting Guard. Although his
steady pattern of turnovers diminish from using him that way as well.

If we are weak on a 3rd Point Guard, let's get one! Stretching Book into the role of
backup is a lazy General Manager approach. It is his job to field a complete team,
including a strong 3rd Point Guard. The Center and Point Guard positions call for that.

Sure, we'll win games but I don't want to see the Suns DNA of petering out down the
stretch and in the playoffs. That is not opinion. That is history! Now is the time to staff
the roster for the long run.

BTW, I don't know why you accuse me of disrespecting Monty Williams. He is a good
Coach. It's the General Manager (whom Sarver plucked out of his sheep to become
a GM, with no qualifications) that I am reacting to.

As I've posted over the years, The Valley of the Sun is not "small market". We are
right in the middle of the pack in NBA metropolitan areas' populations. We should be
better than two Finals appearances and zero Championships in a half century.

BTW, I've had you on ignore because of your getting personal but, when I saw that
you posted following my post, I checked it out. Back to ignore, young man!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Book is better than any 3rd string pg we could get and a better option than trying to get one. Running Book with Galloway or Carter is not a horrible option and much better than adding someone like Elfrid to the roster.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
C'mon, Chap, it's not about me. Your personal attacks won't solve Suns' shortcomings.

I think you missed my point. As I said, every time Book is the backup Point Guard takes
minutes away from his position of Shooting Guard. He should be receiving the ball, not
primarily feeding it. And not having to keep up with quicker Point Guards on defense.

As far as Book's Point Guard skills, fine, as a distributing Shooting Guard. Although his
steady pattern of turnovers diminish from using him that way as well.

If we are weak on a 3rd Point Guard, let's get one! Stretching Book into the role of
backup is a lazy General Manager approach. It is his job to field a complete team,
including a strong 3rd Point Guard. The Center and Point Guard positions call for that.

Sure, we'll win games but I don't want to see the Suns DNA of petering out down the
stretch and in the playoffs. That is not opinion. That is history! Now is the time to staff
the roster for the long run.

BTW, I don't know why you accuse me of disrespecting Monty Williams. He is a good
Coach. It's the General Manager (whom Sarver plucked out of his sheep to become
a GM, with no qualifications) that I am reacting to.

As I've posted over the years, The Valley of the Sun is not "small market". We are
right in the middle of the pack in NBA metropolitan areas' populations. We should be
better than two Finals appearances and zero Championships in a half century.

BTW, I've had you on ignore because of your getting personal but, when I saw that
you posted following my post, I checked it out. Back to ignore, young man!
Not surprised you have me on ignore, you seem to really dislike when people disagree with you over the years. And yes, if you consistently berate Devin Booker for playing Point Guard, how is that not trying to show that Monty Williams is wrong for having him do it?

Booker missing 5 straight free throws in the beginning of the game and not being effective hasn't anything whatsoever to do with him playing Point Guard. You keep bringing up the myth that him playing PG somehow makes him irrelevant. That has nothing to do with it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beal and Booker exchange 2 pointers.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I've been a big Ayton supporter, but now, I just... can't. The guy is SCARED of Robin Lopez.
LOL. I thought the same thing. That layup attempt should have been a posterization!

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Before Jalen Smith was hurt, he was in the rotation for a couple games. He is a smart player, made some good decisions in his appearances. Without him, Saric is the b/u 4, where he struggles to keep up with more mobile and athletic 4's. Smith is a better matchup, and will only get better with experience.

I commented earlier in the season where he was fortunate to get minutes because Saric was out

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker stinking it back up. Over dribbling. They are just going into their sets too late in the shot clock. I’m not liking it. We are missing Payne.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Galloway smart to drive the ball there and fouled.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carter is playing good defense but if he could hit some open shots it would help.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cp3 to dario for an open shot.

more ball movement and Cam gets fouled.

I’m tired of Booker being a ball stopper.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
End of 1st quarter:

Wizards 29 - Suns 15

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker can't get caught up in competing with Beal.