PFF Top 100 free agents

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Peterson is not as bad as people make him out to be. He's not the elite guy he was but he's not out getting beat like a drum on a daily basis either. I think he's still a pretty good man to man cover guy. It seems he worse in zone coverage. I'd like the Cards to keep him but I'm not paying franchise tag money to keep him.

The one thing that concerns me is great man to man guys, like Revis and Nnandi Ashomuga(sure I butchered that) fell off the table quickly while a good zone guy like Sherman can stick around and be effective.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't mind keeping P2 for the right money IF we treat him like a CB2 (or co CB1) and bring in someone very good across from him.

Similar to what Miami have with Byron Jones and Xavien Howard.

Depending on the cap I'd be OK with something like P2 and William Jackson III and we pay then around $25m combined.

But I also have no problem moving on and signing Jackson and Dunbar.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
I'd go after some combination of

C corey Lindsey
DL leonard Williams
G Brandon scherff
Wr Allen Robinson
T Russell okung
Lb kj Wright
Fs Malik hooker
Cb Patrick petersin
T Kelvin Beacham
Te Jared Cook
C Alex mack
Rb leveon bell
Lb Hassan Reddick
S jaquiski tartt

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Peterson is not as bad as people make him out to be. He's not the elite guy he was but he's not out getting beat like a drum on a daily basis either. I think he's still a pretty good man to man cover guy. It seems he worse in zone coverage. I'd like the Cards to keep him but I'm not paying franchise tag money to keep him.

The one thing that concerns me is great man to man guys, like Revis and Nnandi Ashomuga(sure I butchered that) fell off the table quickly while a good zone guy like Sherman can stick around and be effective.

Zone is a lot easier, man to man in the NFL is brutal now. The rules have made is so you can’t even breath on a WR anymore.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Did I not hear that PP was open to a move at safety? I'm not the hugest Banjo/Thompson fan and I believe he'd do pretty well. Worked okay for Antrel.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did I not hear that PP was open to a move at safety? I'm not the hugest Banjo/Thompson fan and I believe he'd do pretty well. Worked okay for Antrel.

Peterson at safety would be even worse

Byron Murphy is the one who can be a very good safety

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Safeties need to tackle. A lot.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Peterson at safety would be even worse

Byron Murphy is the one who can be a very good safety

juza, how do you figure? PP still possesses above average athleticism. His tackling can get better, but he's smart enough to play the position well IMO. I'm not in LOVE with the idea, but I wouldn't be against it. And I'm not mad at your idea of Byron for the job either. I just don't see his ceiling as much higher at CB.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
juza, how do you figure? PP still possesses above average athleticism. His tackling can get better, but he's smart enough to play the position well IMO. I'm not in LOVE with the idea, but I wouldn't be against it. And I'm not mad at your idea of Byron for the job either. I just don't see his ceiling as much higher at CB.

I found a very good explanation about CB's switching to safety late in their career

In order to go from cornerback to safety, a player must be (1) a strong tackler, (2) instinctive and (3) realistic. All three points make straightaway speed secondary (no pun intended). If a player can anticipate a throw, the early jump puts them in position get their target to the ground.

Some examples of players being successful switching to safety

Charles woodson
Rod Woodson
Aneas Williams
Devin mcCourty made probowl in both positions
Ronnie Lott
Malcom Jenkins
Troy Vincent
Antrel rolle

Peterson is nowhere near as a tackler, and he is afraid to tackle

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
IF at safety he would try to start actually tackling opposing receivers he would miss more games with injury than he would play in. Soft player who plays soft.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I found a very good explanation about CB's switching to safety late in their career

In order to go from cornerback to safety, a player must be (1) a strong tackler, (2) instinctive and (3) realistic. All three points make straightaway speed secondary (no pun intended). If a player can anticipate a throw, the early jump puts them in position get their target to the ground.

Some examples of players being successful switching to safety

Charles woodson
Rod Woodson
Aneas Williams
Devin mcCourty made probowl in both positions
Ronnie Lott
Malcom Jenkins
Troy Vincent
Antrel rolle

Peterson is nowhere near as a tackler, and he is afraid to tackle

Damn my brotha! Why let facts stand in the way of a good argument!? :D:notworthy:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IF at safety he would try to start actually tackling opposing receivers he would miss more games with injury than he would play in. Soft player who plays soft.

Cause he has such a long history of being injured in his decade long career in the most brutal team sport there is.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I was on the Peterson to S train for a while now. But, I don't know that it is realistic to count on a 30 year old completely change his style of play. He has every other trait to be able to make that move, but I just don't think he can suddenly develop into a fundamental tackler who is willing to throw his body at RBs in the hole, TEs in the open field or even some WRs. No one will know for sure until it is tried, but the fact that Budda can get paid by being a sure tackler should tell everyone about the importance of that trait at that position.