Cards with $20.5m in cap room as of 3/13/17

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
One more thought: Buccanon is eligible for an extension this year -- although the Cards have a fifth year option they can pick up as well.

It does present some leverage to get a longer term deal done at a decent price (although, I'm not sure what counts as decent these days) -- you can pay more than the option salary, but maybe save some vs true open market price.

DutchmanAZ

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to cap space but what's wrong with leaving some open. Does that not help us for next year?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Remember, you always have to save some money for midseason to replace injured key positions.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't know, but I thought that when the front office hired BASK 4(?) years ago, they also hired a financial advisor/cap guru or something? Is that person still around and advising the team? Or am I getting it all wrong?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to cap space but what's wrong with leaving some open. Does that not help us for next year?

Some of it should. If you include the rollover, Palmer retiring and possibly releasing one of Veldheer/Iupati then the Cards will be one of those teams with a ridiculous amount of cap space like this year.

RINGLESS

Veteran
Reaction score

Yes it does, any unused cap will rollover into next season. The top 51 is correct, but that only holds true for a limited time. When the regular season starts, every penny must be accounted for. 53 man roster, all dead cap hits, IR, etc. So you can easily shave off over 1-2 million more there.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Keim wont spend any of that $$$ because he doesnt want to spoil our comp picks for next year. Which is similar to selling your hair to by combs.

Oh boy we get a couple extra 3rd rounders.....at the cost of a garbage season because we have no depth.

We should be spending out the A right now. This is CPs and Larrys last year. We need to push push push.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
Keim wont spend any of that $$$ because he doesnt want to spoil our comp picks for next year. Which is similar to selling your hair to by combs.

Oh boy we get a couple extra 3rd rounders.....at the cost of a garbage season because we have no depth.

We should be spending out the A right now. This is CPs and Larrys last year. We need to push push push.

For who??? Who's left? This was a crumby FA class IMHO.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
For who??? Who's left? This was a crumby FA class IMHO.

The best FAs were our own. Not saying all of them, but notably CC we shouldve paid and kept. Swearinger as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Unless there is a surprise scenario, it does not look like the Cardinals are all-in for this season. I hope I'm wrong.

Reaction score
I don't know, but I thought that when the front office hired BASK 4(?) years ago, they also hired a financial advisor/cap guru or something? Is that person still around and advising the team? Or am I getting it all wrong?
Mike Disner, Director Football Administration, is the capologist for the Cardinals.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Would like to see a very good interior lineman signed. There are a few who would fit the bill. I don't see them burning a 2nd Rd. pick on one, there are too many good WR's and TE's along with maybe QB available then on the O side. ILB's and DB's on the D. I think we need to address those spots first.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah... I know what Keim has said, but he keeps signing guys two years too late (Bethea/Dansby), while letting guys go two years too early (Dansby the first time and I believe Calais this year).

I'm not even so cheesed off about Calais/Jefferson/Swearinger... I'm more confused that we've literally just done almost nothing but signed the AARP squad, while we had a decent amount of cap room (and that's cap room without even trying to create much more, which I believe they could have cutting a couple guys, like Bethel who we absolutely should not be counting on to live up to his salary).

bump for @GuernseyCard who thought NO ONE wanted Cambell back at that salary. I wanted him back same as I did Dansby when he left the first time.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey! I wanted Calais back too and thought Keim made a fair offer but the JAGS literally doubled the number.

he made a terrible offer and instead allocated an atrocious amount of money to Gresham and Bethel instead. It was obvious how bad those decisions were at the time to me.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
he made a terrible offer and instead allocated an atrocious amount of money to Gresham and Bethel instead. It was obvious how bad those decisions were at the time to me.

no stop. He made a damn good offer. His comp was Bennet in Seattle at the time and he offered him more money than Bennet

The Jags came out of left field and gave him a godfather offer and I don’t blame CC at all for going and getting paid. They gave him 60 million with 36 up front.

explain to me how your signing Chandler Jones at 80 million and CC at 60 million in 2017.