My offensive starters evaluation

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not based on coaching or play calling.

Qb - Murray solid but has a lot of room to improve.
Rb - Drake is just okay and probably replaceable. Edmonds very good but more situational or change of pace.
Wr- Hopkins is a stud. Kirk is no better than a #3. Fitz I believe is gone.
TE- Max Williams, the best ability is availability which he seldom is. Arnold is very good but needs to focus. Too many dumb pre-snap penalties.
Center- Cole is below average and should be relegated to backup
Guards- Sweezy is done. Pugh is not far behind.
OT- Humphries have silenced the critics. Beachum did okay but one would hope Jones could step into that spot.
Special teams. Brewer as long snapper is solid. P- Lee is above average punter. K Gonzalez has lost all confidence in the fan base. PR - As far as I’m concerned we don’t have a real threat. Wish we would have kept Cooper. He would have also helped the Wr room.

So once again we are looking to improve our o-line especially interior lineman. We drastically need to add weapons at Rb and Wr despite drafting and missing too often.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Rb - Drake is just okay and probably replaceable. Edmonds very good but more situational or change of pace.
TE- Max Williams, the best ability is availability which he seldom is. Arnold is very good but needs to focus. Too many dumb pre-snap penalties.
OT- Humphries have silenced the critics. Beachum did okay but one would hope Jones could step into that spot.
Special teams. Brewer as long snapper is solid. P- Lee is above average punter. K Gonzalez has lost all confidence in the fan base. PR - As far as I’m concerned we don’t have a real threat. Wish we would have kept Cooper. He would have also helped the Wr room.

So once again we are looking to improve our o-line especially interior lineman. We drastically need to add weapons at Rb and Wr despite drafting and missing too often.

More then Cooper i think we should have kept Byrd

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's concerning to say it but I think it's time we more on from our big 3 vets and get younger. This team needs to do something and holding on to ageing stars isn't helping anyone.

Let P2 go.

Let Fitz retire.

Trade CJ.

Its a scary thought but needs must. We need a change.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Good Evaluations. On paper, yes, Hopkins is a stud. But, until he pulls his head out of his behind, I'm lowering his evaluation. I saw him look clueless too many times, run the wrong routes too many times, and flat out stop running his route too many times for me to put him in the STUD category. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt since there was no preseason, he had no help from the rest of our WR room, & it was his 1st year with us.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keep CJ.

Let the others go.

I'm borderline with CJ but here's my reasoning.

First, he was poor in the 4 games he played.He's 31 next month so touching 32 by the end of next season and in the last year of his deal.

I'm learning from P2 and trying to get something from a contender in a trade.

Its good for CJ too. Let him have a shot before he gets too old.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

First, he was poor in the 4 games he played.He's 31 next month so touching 32 by the end of next season and in the last year of his deal.

CJ had a slow start.

But that’s what it was, a slow start.

Meanwhile, Peterson has been garbage since 2019.

You can still play at a good level at his age as a pass-rusher.

It’s hard as hell to do it as a CB at the same age.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's concerning to say it but I think it's time we more on from our big 3 vets and get younger. This team needs to do something and holding on to ageing stars isn't helping anyone.

Let P2 go.

Let Fitz retire.

Trade CJ.

Its a scary thought but needs must. We need a change.
Defensive evaluation next

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With our QB someone needs to teach our WRs including Hopkins to not stop trying to get open! When Kyler pulls out of pocket and is on the move you should be trying to get open, like the Seahawks receivers are taught, can result in huge plays. It’s maddening watching these clowns run a short route and stop or half ass the route since they know the play is not to them! You should always be trying to be open with a QB like Murray!

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With our QB someone needs to teach our WRs including Hopkins to not stop trying to get open! When Kyler pulls out of pocket and is on the move you should be trying to get open, like the Seahawks receivers are taught, can result in huge plays. It’s maddening watching these clowns run a short route and stop or half ass the route since they know the play is not to them! You should always be trying to be open with a QB like Murray!

How would you know this unless you're in the stadium?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

Mostly what I see except Beachum. I also thought Lee declined a little but he’s a smart guy. Wondered why they brought in a long snapper to look at. I think Kirk at 3 is a reach, but not based on numbers.

Harry

Reaction score

I think he’ll have a big contract year. They’re likely to wait until the trade deadline to see if he produces. Remember Berry was still effective at this point in his career. Somebody will still overpay.

Harry

Reaction score
How would you know this unless you're in the stadium?
He’s right. Except in the end zone the receivers are not coached to come back to the QB when Murray scrambles. Of course until near the season’s end Murray rarely pulled up to throw or even scanned the field. So the receivers were better leading off the defenders to open the field for his running. That said they should be coached to come back and Murray should be coached to anticipate it. Every time he scrambled or the TV showed a coverage sack you could see the receivers continuing their routes.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
CJ had a slow start.

But that’s what it was, a slow start.

Meanwhile, Peterson has been garbage since 2019.

You can still play at a good level at his age as a pass-rusher.

It’s hard as hell to do it as
I think he’ll have a big contract year. They’re likely to wait until the trade deadline to see if he produces. Remember Berry was still effective at this point in his career. Somebody will still overpay.

That's fair. The problem is if he doesn't produce again we lose trade value.

I'm just thinking that this team seems some distance from being a challenger and I don't see CJ still playing when we finally get there. I'd be ok with bleeding some younger talent in next year to prep for the year after.

If we could get a low 2nd from someone going all out for the crown. Say, the Bucs. I'd be ok with that.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
cant trade CJ during a contract year. players always ball out last year of their contract to get paid again. We want him on our team during that.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I don’t think we’d get more than a 3rd for CJ, and I think that’s wishful thinking.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
cant trade CJ during a contract year. players always ball out last year of their contract to get paid again. We want him on our team during that.

Let me ask you this. What does it matter?

CJ has 19 sacks in 2019 and we had 5 wins.

He had 13 in 2018 and we had 3 wins.

He had 17 in 2017 and we had 7 wins.

He had 1 this year and we had 8 wins and the team finished 5th in the NFL with 48 sacks.

I don't care if CJ has 25 sacks if we don't win anything. Let him have a big year elsewhere. Hell, I hope he wins the super bowl, he deserves it. He won't be winning it here yet and I'd rather build the future of this team around Murray, Hump, Budda, Nuk and hopefully guys like Jalen, Murphy and Josh Jones.

It's time to stop hanging on to the past and look to build a roster that can challenge in Kyler's 4th or 5th year. It's not going to be next year with the schedule we have and the state of this roster.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He had 1 this year and we had 8 wins and the team finished 5th in the NFL with 48 sacks.

I don't care if CJ has 25 sacks if we don't win anything. Let him have a big year elsewhere. Hell, I hope he wins the super bowl, he deserves it. He won't be winning it here yet and I'd rather build the future of this team around Murray, Hump, Budda, Nuk and hopefully guys like Jalen, Murphy and Josh Jones.

It's time to stop hanging on to the past and look to build a roster that can challenge in Kyler's 4th or 5th year. It's not going to be next year with the schedule we have and the state of this roster.

He has already won the superbowl that's why he signed an extension here
With your numbers u are basically saying Chandler Jones doesn't have a real impact after all
So then I ask u, what about Budda baker and his 2 interceptions and 20pass deflected in 61 games
Averaging 1 interception in 30 games
1 pass deflected in 3 games
1 forced fumble in 12 games

Last edited:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

You can throw out 2018/2019 as terrible team years. We need better talent and you don't do that by getting rid of elite players (see Calais, Boldin, etc).

I would argue that we should look at this in a different way - Adding an elite pass rusher to this defense is required to take the next step (playoffs and beyond). We have one of the best on our roster now. The future is now.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

not a great analysis. how can you pretend our success is 100% correlated to the number of sacks CJ has? thats so ignorant I almost didnt respond.

Teams love having players in their contract year. Thats undisputed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose