The Stand (CBS All Access)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another adaptation of Stephen King's 1978 novel The Stand.

The Stand

Genre: Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Horror, Sci-Fi, Thriller
Rating: TV-MA
Screenwriters: Creators: Josh Boone, Benjamin Cavell

Cast: James Marsden, Jovan Adepo, Whoopi Goldberg, Amber Heard, Brad William Henke, Katherine McNamara, Alexander Skarsgård, Daniel Sunjata, Owen Teague, Nat Wolff, Odessa Young, Henry Zaga, Gordon Cormier, Irene Bedard, Ezra Miller.

Plot summary: After the world is in ruins, due to a man-made plague, a battle of Biblical proportions ensues between the survivors.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone catch this yet? I want to watch it but I think I'll wait until the whole thing is finished and binge it because I need to sub to CBS All Access for it. I'm curious what people think overall and also how it compares to the previous adaptation.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone catch this yet? I want to watch it but I think I'll wait until the whole thing is finished and binge it because I need to sub to CBS All Access for it. I'm curious what people think overall and also how it compares to the previous adaptation.

are they only dropping one per week?

the stand was my favorite work of fiction ever and I have a strong feeling of nostalgia for the ABC Miniseries but I’m not seeing great reviews for this so far which is a bummer.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

the stand was my favorite work of fiction ever and I have a strong feeling of nostalgia for the ABC Miniseries but I’m not seeing great reviews for this so far which is a bummer.

Yeah, one a week. Only two episodes available right now but one should be added tomorrow, I think. I traded a friend logins so I have CBS now, he has my HBO, I definitely got the short end of the stick there.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, one a week. Only two episodes available right now but one should be added tomorrow, I think. I traded a friend logins so I have CBS now, he has my HBO, I definitely got the short end of the stick there.

lol.

how have the first two episodes been?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol.

how have the first two episodes been?

I can only speak for episode 1, it was good. I'm waiting to binge. The only issue I had is it seemed like they tried hard to get the point across that its a "mature" series. They drop lots of F bombs in the first 10 minutes and it was unnecessary to the story.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can only speak for episode 1, it was good. I'm waiting to binge. The only issue I had is it seemed like they tried hard to get the point across that its a "mature" series. They drop lots of F bombs in the first 10 minutes and it was unnecessary to the story.

Weird. There should be enough horror alone to make it clear it’s a mature series.

I’m with ya on holding out to try and binge.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched the first episode. Thought it was pretty rough.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched the first episode. Thought it was pretty rough.

I thought it was ok but it didn't hype me up for the rest of the season/series. The cast is great and it might get better but I'm yet to hear anything about it, positive or negative so I'm not holding out hope it will be great.

I wish the original were available to stream somewhere. It wouldn't surprise me if CBS is purposefully holding that back because they don't want comparisons. The original is still talked about fondly by most, so comparing it to this new one won't help the new version.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I had been holding off on it, sounds like a skip from what I've read here and on another board.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The book I must have read 2-3 times. I haven't seen the original adaptation of it. I just figure this book has so much inner dialogue in people's heads, that it would be hard to make it into a series and do the book justice.

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
ive watched all 7 episodes so far. I didn't like the first one how it jumped around the time line. I would have much preferred a more linear path. I am actually liking the show now. it's not great but it is entertaining.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow... that new ending. Uh...

Just saw an ad for the series and in it it says that this ending was written by Stephen King and was 30 years in the making. I haven't finished it yet but I plan on trying to slog through it again.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saw an ad for the series and in it it says that this ending was written by Stephen King and was 30 years in the making. I haven't finished it yet but I plan on trying to slog through it again.

good luck.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

Yeah, this is my 2nd favorite fiction book after The Westing Game. I read it when I was stuck in Alaska waiting for salmon fishing season to start so I could work in a fish processing plant. Probably read 6 hours per day. It was messing with my mind because my thoughts started to become dialogue from a book (e.g. my thoughts would become "he opens the door with great urgency and blurts out ...."). It was trippy lol.

The book I must have read 2-3 times. I haven't seen the original adaptation of it. I just figure this book has so much inner dialogue in people's heads, that it would be hard to make it into a series and do the book justice.

Exactly. The best part of the book was all the inner dialogue.

I just started this show on dvd. Halfway through episode one and not impressed. Hopefully it gets better as they introduce the other characters...there are some great ones in this story.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this is my 2nd favorite fiction book after The Westing Game. I read it when I was stuck in Alaska waiting for salmon fishing season to start so I could work in a fish processing plant. Probably read 6 hours per day. It was messing with my mind because my thoughts started to become dialogue from a book (e.g. my thoughts would become "he opens the door with great urgency and blurts out ...."). It was trippy lol.

Exactly. The best part of the book was all the inner dialogue.

I just started this show on dvd. Halfway through episode one and not impressed. Hopefully it gets better as they introduce the other characters...there are some great ones in this story.
It doesn’t get better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose