PFF Top 100 free agents

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Dansby definitely was. Miller wasn’t. His he didn’t start one game as a rookie and Had a whopping total of 19 tackles in year 1. 52 tackles in year 2 marred by injury. Year 3 and 4 started playing better, but year 5 is where he put it all together, going from 92 tackles to 113 tackles (career best), 3 sacks (second career best), 2 FF (career best) and then punctuated the season with a four sack performance against the Cowboys in the playoffs where the team FINALLY utilities him as a pass rusher for the first time in five seasons. All that happened in his final year of his contract and that’s when he really became a total beast.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MillJa01.htm

and then we told him to kick rocks.
Not really. We offered him 2yrs- $6 million at the beginning of free agency, but he wanted to be a pass rusher which he wasn't in our defense. He found no takers and ended up signing a 1yr deal for $1.3 million that May w/ Cleveland. At that point the Cards had signed Fredrickson and drafted Johnny Rutledge to fill his spot. Fredrickson and Miller had pretty similar stats the next two years, then Miller had is breakout 2001 season, which unfortunately was his last.

May 3 1999 article...

"Yet as of Sunday only the Cardinals had offers on the table, and
Miller has rejected one, a two-year, $6 million contract. "It's
doubtful [that Miller will be back]," says club vice president
Bill Bidwill Jr.

Other potential suitors were concerned when Miller said that he
wanted to be among the top-paid players in the league at his
position. Also, some teams weren't thrilled when they heard that
Miller, a 6'5", 266-pound run stuffer with superb speed, wanted
to play for someone who would use him primarily as a pass rusher.

Miller also has two strikes against him under the league's
substance-abuse policy. In August 1995 he was suspended for four
games after a positive drug test. The suspension meant that he
had tested positive at least once before and that another
positive test would result in a one-year ban. But Miller says
that shouldn't be an issue, adding, "If I had continued on like
I [was], there's no way I'd still be in the league."

Miller visited the Bears and the Patriots, yet even after
neither team made an offer, he rejected the Cardinals' proposal.
He made news in early April when he fired his agent, Steve
Baker, and hired Leigh Steinberg. The Saints and the Titans have
shown tepid interest, and though Arizona remains in the picture,
Bidwill's comments notwithstanding"

https://www.si.com/vault/1999/05/03/260063/inside-the-nfl

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How much will cost Leonard Williams, I think the organization can't afford his salary, but if they didn't invest in Jordan Philips maybe we could have a chance since the other defensive lineman in the roster have cheap deals or can be resigned with a low salary
Blackson Fotu Lawrence Peko Allen Mauro...

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Got to remember these rankings are based on PFF grades for one season. I doubt they bare much reality to how teams rank them.

Of all our own FA's the one I want back least is Drake. And it pains me to say that because I was a fan of the signing and a fan of his play last year. But he just hasn't been good this year.

I know he finished 13th in yards but he was 40th in YPA.

He finished with an average of 4 per carry with is below average by todays standards but he racked up most of that late in games vs tired defenses. Of his 955 yards 408 of them came in Q4 at 5.3 average.

When trying to establish the run and take the pressure off your QB early in the game he was awful. Only 162 yards in Q1 and 163 yards in Q2 all season. At a rate of 3.1 and 2.8 YPC.

Which is the exact opposite of his stats in 2019 where in Q1 Drake gave us 6.6 YPA and 502 of his yards.

Based on his play last year Drake isn't someone you can reply on as a primary back. I really don't know why we didn't use Edmonds more. He gave us 6.3 YPA in Q1 this season.

Another baffling decision by Kliff.

It would be nice if Eno can actually see the lousy field next year. I don't even know what number the man wears. Jeez.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really. We offered him 2yrs- $6 million at the beginning of free agency, but he wanted to be a pass rusher which he wasn't in our defense. He found no takers and ended up signing a 1yr deal for $1.3 million that May w/ Cleveland. At that point the Cards had signed Fredrickson and drafted Johnny Rutledge to fill his spot. Fredrickson and Miller had pretty similar stats the next two years, then Miller had is breakout 2001 season, which unfortunately was his last.

May 3 1999 article...

"Yet as of Sunday only the Cardinals had offers on the table, and
Miller has rejected one, a two-year, $6 million contract. "It's
doubtful [that Miller will be back]," says club vice president
Bill Bidwill Jr.

Other potential suitors were concerned when Miller said that he
wanted to be among the top-paid players in the league at his
position. Also, some teams weren't thrilled when they heard that
Miller, a 6'5", 266-pound run stuffer with superb speed, wanted
to play for someone who would use him primarily as a pass rusher.

Miller also has two strikes against him under the league's
substance-abuse policy. In August 1995 he was suspended for four
games after a positive drug test. The suspension meant that he
had tested positive at least once before and that another
positive test would result in a one-year ban. But Miller says
that shouldn't be an issue, adding, "If I had continued on like
I [was], there's no way I'd still be in the league."

Miller visited the Bears and the Patriots, yet even after
neither team made an offer, he rejected the Cardinals' proposal.
He made news in early April when he fired his agent, Steve
Baker, and hired Leigh Steinberg. The Saints and the Titans have
shown tepid interest, and though Arizona remains in the picture,
Bidwill's comments notwithstanding"

https://www.si.com/vault/1999/05/03/260063/inside-the-nfl

yeah... all of this ignores that the moment Cleveland could clear salary cap room, they immediately gave him a 18 million dollar extension for 4 years only FIVE MONTHS LATER.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/browns-sign-miller-183m/

Fredrickson was cheaper and worse. That was clear from anyone who actually watched football. And Johnny Rutledge? Really?

we low balled Jamir, who had become the leader of the defense and then spent years trying to replace him with crap watching him flourish with the Browns and then actually become dominant when they switched him to pas rusher.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I have no strong feelings about re-signing Reddick. Like, if we can't retain him, oh well. If we do, I'll hope for the best, and that he maintains his production. I can accept arguments on both sides here, but I wouldn't ignore signing, say, Joe Thuney, so we could keep Reddick and Drake.

Unless something major happens at CB that I have no means of predicting, I'm doing most of what I can to keep Patrick Peterson, even if it's a franchise tag while we work things out in getting some younger players that can compete on the outside.

I would prefer to move on from Drake unless it's a very cheap deal. I've always thought he was just a complementary back, and we already have one of those in Edmonds. Sign or draft a new RB, we know what Drake is. We've had 5 years to see what he is - a sub 1,000 yard RB. You know things are bad when Adrian Murrell and 100 year old Emmitt Smith had comparable production for us.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have no strong feelings about re-signing Reddick. Like, if we can't retain him, oh well. If we do, I'll hope for the best, and that he maintains his production. I can accept arguments on both sides here, but I wouldn't ignore signing, say, Joe Thuney, so we could keep Reddick and Drake.

Unless something major happens at CB that I have no means of predicting, I'm doing most of what I can to keep Patrick Peterson, even if it's a franchise tag while we work things out in getting some younger players that can compete on the outside.
This is just so sad.

At this point, I’m starting to think you’re Patrick Peterson.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This is just so sad.

Although, let me say, we're probably not going anywhere next year, so maybe you're right. Draft rookies, get rid of Kliff and Keim, hope somehow that Keim stumbled into the right choice on one of them as a future prospect while we give up record passing yardage to the top tier WR corps in our division.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is just so sad.

I mean... I just don’t get it. Franchising Peterson?! Acting like all is lost if he’s gone so we need to throw a huge chunk of money to keep him so he can continue... to not be good AND keep us from spending money to upgrade or at least match the position at a much lower cost just scrambles my brain.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although, let me say, we're probably not going anywhere next year, so maybe you're right. Draft rookies, get rid of Kliff and Keim, hope somehow that Keim stumbled into the right choice on one of them as a future prospect while we give up record passing yardage to the top tier WR corps in our division.

we had mediocre corners this year snd didn’t give up record passing yardage in our division. I don’t understand why in the world you think we need to spend A LOT more on the same duo when there’s a world we could have the same level of play from mediocre corners who don’t break the bank.

you keep acting like if we give up PP there is NO WAY TO REPLACE HIM! Won’t be possible in FA or the draft. Completely impossible. Why in the world do you think he’s so irreplaceable?! I mean... do you remember that we actually went 3-3 in 2019 with a much rougher rookie Kyler, no running game yet... and we did that... WITHOUT PP. Then he came back and made such an improvement on the D that we went... 2-7-1 with him.

he’s not that important to the defense at this point, because he’s simply not that good anymore.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean... I just don’t get it. Franchising Peterson?! Acting like all is lost if he’s gone so we need to throw a huge chunk of money to keep him so he can continue... to not be good AND keep us from spending money to upgrade or at least match the position at a much lower cost just scrambles my brain.
I legitimately believe Solar hasn’t been watching the same games everybody has because it’s just no way.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Every thread until you answer... who out there is worth paying, that is better than Peterson? Or that matches him? I come from a business culture of "don't complain about a problem unless you're going to provide a solution."

The best I've heard is... Chidobe Awuzie. And he's garbage. Like, if someone really sees a clear cut option out there, I'm all ears. I'll go look into it.

we had mediocre corners this year snd didn’t give up record passing yardage in our division. I don’t understand why in the world you think we need to spend A LOT more on the same duo when there’s a world we could have the same level of play from mediocre corners who don’t break the bank.
I'm not asking to spend on the same duo... Kirkpatrick and Alford are all but gone. Every available outside CB I see on the market is terrible. Like, really, really bad. Peterson is the best remaining. That's tough for us. It just is.

you keep acting like if we give up PP there is NO WAY TO REPLACE HIM! Won’t be possible in FA or the draft. Completely impossible. Why in the world do you think he’s so irreplaceable?! I mean... do you remember that we actually went 3-3 in 2019 with a much rougher rookie Kyler, no running game yet... and we did that... WITHOUT PP. Then he came back and made such an improvement on the D that we went... 2-7-1 with him.
We went 3-3 against the worst teams in the league, who we barely beat, with the last ranked defense. We have to replace both outside corners. This isn't just one guy, but FA has no options, and praying Keim can draft a useful CB at 16 while we're forced to look at only one position is absolutely ridiculous. An amazing player outside of CB could drop, but we're going to Levi Brown it at #16? And then again in the 2nd round? It's a losing formula.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Every thread until you answer... who out there is worth paying, that is better than Peterson? Or that matches him? I come from a business culture of "don't complain about a problem unless you're going to provide a solution."

The best I've heard is... Chidobe Awuzie. And he's garbage. Like, if someone really sees a clear cut option out there, I'm all ears. I'll go look into it.

I'm not asking to spend on the same duo... Kirkpatrick and Alford are all but gone. Every available outside CB I see on the market is terrible. Like, really, really bad. Peterson is the best remaining. That's tough for us. It just is.

We went 3-3 against the worst teams in the league, who we barely beat, with the last ranked defense. We have to replace both outside corners. This isn't just one guy, but FA has no options, and praying Keim can draft a useful CB at 16 while we're forced to look at only one position is absolutely ridiculous. An amazing player outside of CB could drop, but we're going to Levi Brown it at #16? And then again in the 2nd round? It's a losing formula.

Id take William Jackson, Troy Hill, Verrett, Darby and Griffin over Peterson considering his age and how bad PP looked this year. There’s also a lower tier of players with guys like Dunbar and the San Fran corners that likely give you similar production for cheaper.

It’s not like replacements aren’t out there.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, the article that's the subject of this thread lists no fewer than 20 CBs among the top 100 FAs... and Peterson is ranked 14th among them.

...dave

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I tell guys that all the time. Don’t ever bring me a problem without a solution. That’s the difference between complaining and thinking. If you just complain I got no use for you

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Id take William Jackson, Troy Hill, Verrett, Darby and Griffin over Peterson considering his age and how bad PP looked this year.

William Jackson III is a solid CB and would be a great addition. He isn't a true shutdown CB like Prime PP21, so hopefully we wouldn't have to pay him like one.

Reaction score

he’s not that important to the defense at this point, because he’s simply not that good anymore.

What do you suggest we do & who do we go after in FA if that's what you suggest? We did have very good pass defense numbers this year so maybe our corners weren't so mediocre?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you suggest we do & who do we go after in FA if that's what you suggest? We did have very good pass defense numbers this year so maybe our corners weren't so mediocre?

we played the worst run of QBs in human history. And I haven’t looked at FA.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i will vomit if this is what we do. If Redick gets away for that little money, its Calvin Pace, Karlos Dansby, Jamir Miller all over again.

I mean, throwing 45 million at a washed up, terrible example for younger players PEDerson and Drake, who didn’t prove much in his prove it year after cashing the check, would be a terrible allocation of resources.
Get ready for this..... I could not possibly agree more.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson