Suns @ Pistons Friday game thread 1-8-2021

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No adjustments to the zone.

Ayton has zero offensive game.

still upset we didn’t land Grant.

We could have, if we hadn't blown all of our money on an over-the-hill Chris Paul.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And just lost to the worst team in the NBA after blowing a 24 point lead, with our star starting backcourt posting career low numbers for the season.

Boston lost to them, too.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I swear they ran the same play over and over and drove in at will. Plumlee pulled Ayton out. He never showed on help defense until it was too late. I’m not sure if that’s coaching or lack of defensive awareness on the players in the game.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The worst loss of the decade was the Portland game a few years ago where we couldn’t throw a post entry pass for like 5 straight possessions.

There, we just never competed against a decent team. Here, we completely collapsed against one of the worst teams ever.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No, they're not. The Suns have been awful since the 4th quarter in Denver.

Only reason we won that game is because we went crazy from 3. Tonight with the way we shot from 3 and played Toronto we lose. We will come back to earth some

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wrong. Paul was acquired in a trade. Grant was a UFA and too rich for our blood.

We would have had the cap space for Grant if we didn't take on Paul's $40 million contract for 12 points, 8 assists, and 2 turnovers per game on less than 40% shooting from the field, 30% from three and zero defense.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And just lost to the worst team in the NBA after blowing a 24 point lead, with our star starting backcourt posting career low numbers for the season.

Yeah it was a bad loss, but the worst in a decade? Have you watched any of the last decade? That is just a stupid statement.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We would have had the cap space for Grant if we didn't take on Paul's $40 million contract for 12 points, 8 assists, and 2 turnovers per game on less than 40% shooting from the field, 30% from three and zero defense.

You are wrong.

We still have Ricky and Kelly’s contracts eating up the same space.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You are wrong.

We still have Ricky and Kelly’s contracts eating up the same space.

Ricky makes $23 million less, and Kelly could have been traded for a draft pick or a power forward (perhaps even Grant in a sign and trade).

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns bench played well tonight. It's one of those nights where they deserved more playing time.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It’s called being good enough to blow a couple games like this. Like how we beat Milwaukee the last couple years. They didn’t sweat it.
Maw you don’t get it. When we were good, really good, losses really ate us up (speaking for me abd cheese). This just gave me a meh feeling. I know what he’s saying. It’s weird.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That was brutal, but familiar. Surprised Rose wasn't the one who killed them.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns had problems against the zone. They need to figure it out or they will keep seeing it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Siakam, Grant...we seem to be struggling with these types of players. Long and tall, and athletic.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Suns bench played well tonight. It's one of those nights where they deserved more playing time.
Couldn't agree more, no idea why they sat so long after the starters lost the 20pt lead. Maybe he was resting them for Indiana but what happened to take it one game at a time.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Live by the 3 die by it

The sad thing is they don't HAVE to be so darn dependent on the 3. I thought that was supposed to be the entire point of the Chris Paul acquisition.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Grant is definitely playing up to his contract, but remember, Denver offered the same amount and he chose to go to Detroit so that he could be the focus of the offense. There was zero chance he would of come to Phoenix.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There have been moments of great flow and not settling for 3 point shots all the time. Hopefully they try revert back to that

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more, no idea why they sat so long after the starters lost the 20pt lead. Maybe he was resting them for Indiana but what happened to take it one game at a time.

Usually a team tries to save it's starters and not the bench. I think Monty was loyal to his starters to a fault. I'd like to to see more of Payne because he can create and play defense.

Everyone on the bench had a + PER.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
With a 23-point lead, this was the Suns game to lose. And they did, in overtime.

All of the starters were a minus and all of the bench were a plus.

We have to win this type of game.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Usually a team tries to save it's starters and not the bench. I think Monty was loyal to his starters to a fault. I'd like to to see more of Payne because he can create and play defense.

I forget what game it was but Monty did the same thing. I think we still won that one though.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ricky makes $23 million less, and Kelly could have been traded for a draft pick or a power forward (perhaps even Grant in a sign and trade).

You still haven’t explained how to actually make it work financially. Also, you don’t know that a guy that publicly stated he wanted a big #1 role would have wanted to come to Phoenix to be a #2 at best, much less fit in next to Booker.