How about kurt warner as our next head coach?

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Say what?
Yeah he has been at Brophy the last two years, was the OC at Desert Mountain prior to that. Rumor is the HC there was fired after the 2018 season because he let Warner do too much and the administration and parents had grown tired of Kurt. Not sure if that is true, but he did transfer his kid out of DM and away from the kids he had grown up playing ball with after the firing. He's older kid played at DM all four years. Also the rumors are he went to Brophy because the new HC there was going to give him a lot of leeway there. Who knows.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
this is an overstatement

you dont put up his stats he did simply converting pre-determined throws

he needs to process just a tick faster, particularly 3rd down and redzone when D Coordinators save their best looks-

lots of examples this year where he made the right read, but was just a half beat late with the throw -- i think experience fills that gap

I don't believe it's in overstatement at all. It has been stated by professionals. How many times did he throw and complete a pass for 10 yards when you watch the all 22 there are receiviers 20 yards down field breaking free? Happened way to often for me to say he is proficient at reading defenses. As I stated winston threw for 5000 but if he was able to read a defense he wouldn't throw so many picks.

Does to that mean he can't? Of course he can at times, just not often enough for me. I have watched a lot of the all 22 this year with professional commentary. So I'm alone in this belief. If he was better at it there wouldnt be so many red zone interceptions.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I'll add that obviously I'm not a professional, I just play one from my living room. So it's just my opinion. So that and $2 will get you all the coffee you want at denny's.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't believe it's in overstatement at all. It has been stated by professionals. How many times did he throw and complete a pass for 10 yards when you watch the all 22 there are receiviers 20 yards down field breaking free? Happened way to often for me to say he is proficient at reading defenses. As I stated winston threw for 5000 but if he was able to read a defense he wouldn't throw so many picks.

Does to that mean he can't? Of course he can at times, just not often enough for me. I have watched a lot of the all 22 this year with professional commentary. So I'm alone in this belief. If he was better at it there wouldnt be so many red zone interceptions.

I have really tried to look & look & look for our receivers breaking free 20 yards down the field. I just haven't seen much of that. And even if that were to happen occasionally, our OL almost never protects long enough. It would be ridiculous to think that Murray doesn't have to improve. Of course he does. But, without Murray, that offense this year would only slightly better than the 2018 version.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I have really tried to look & look & look for our receivers breaking free 20 yards down the field. I just haven't seen much of that. And even if that were to happen occasionally, our OL almost never protects long enough. It would be ridiculous to think that Murray doesn't have to improve. Of course he does. But, without Murray, that offense this year would only slightly better than the 2018 version.
Vince you won't see it watching the TV feed very often. Just to clarify I'm not down on the kid, I just know he can be so much better. But he'll have to put in the work, look at the jump Josh Allen has made.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I don't believe it's in overstatement at all. It has been stated by professionals. How many times did he throw and complete a pass for 10 yards when you watch the all 22 there are receiviers 20 yards down field breaking free?

my POV is that K1s reading defense ability is at ~80 (on a 100 scale), and needs to get to 90+ to take the next step

when i see "cant read defenses" -- it sounds to me like they think its at 50 or below, which doesnt jibe with what he produced.

Said differently -- if he produced those stats by not being able to read defenses, then KK is a passing game genius we dont appreciate

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Vince you won't see it watching the TV feed very often. Just to clarify I'm not down on the kid, I just know he can be so much better. But he'll have to put in the work, look at the jump Josh Allen has made.

Josh Allen mainly improved because the Bills put many more toys around him. The Cardinals need to do the same for Murray. Without Murray, the Cardinals are barely better than the 2018 team.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
my POV is that K1s reading defense ability is at ~80 (on a 100 scale), and needs to get to 90+ to take the next step

when i see "cant read defenses" -- it sounds to me like they think its at 50 or below, which doesnt jibe with what he produced.

Said differently -- if he produced those stats by not being able to read defenses, then KK is a passing game genius we dont appreciate
It what Kurt Warner had been preaching as an epidemic. QBs are reading their receivers instead of reading defenses. I'll just leave it at that. We can agree to disagree and move on. As I stated it's my opinion so I could be wrong, I just don't think I am.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Josh Allen mainly improved because the Bills put many more toys around him. The Cardinals need to do the same for Murray. Without Murray, the Cardinals are barely better than the 2018 team.
I agree they got more talent but he has improved his footwork and his accuracy. I believe he's put a great deal of work into his craft. He wants to be great. He doesn't get much help from the running game either.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Josh Allen wouldn't have seen nearly the improvement he did if he hadn't intensively worked on his throwing motion, no matter the pieces added around him. They did a good job breaking down that work in the one night game. He had similar problems to KM in that he was relying on his arm strength and not properly stepping into his throws. Now we see what intensive work to improve can result in. My hope is that KM self-reflects, understands the need to improve, and throws himself into similar work.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Josh Allen wouldn't have seen nearly the improvement he did if he hadn't intensively worked on his throwing motion, no matter the pieces added around him. They did a good job breaking down that work in the one night game. He had similar problems to KM in that he was relying on his arm strength and not properly stepping into his throws. Now we see what intensive work to improve can result in. My hope is that KM self-reflects, understands the need to improve, and throws himself into similar work.
This

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It what Kurt Warner had been preaching as an epidemic. QBs are reading their receivers instead of reading defenses. I'll just leave it at that. We can agree to disagree and move on. As I stated it's my opinion so I could be wrong, I just don't think I am.
You are correct about KM reading his WR's instead of reading the D.

Big difference.

Once he learns how to do that and correct his footwork he will become much better.

But learning how to read a D is difficult and that is the weakness in many NFL QB's that don't survive.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

i think the differences between Allen and Murray are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Kyler has a ton of natural accuracy — we saw that the last two seasons. His problem, IMO, is he may not be doing the hard mental work in the film room and classroom that would allow the offense to become more variable.

Allen had broken physical fundamentals that were the result of amateur-level coaching until he made it to the NFL. He had to overcome a bunch of bad habits he didn’t know he had — muscle memory stuff that’s really hard to do — to get to this point.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree they got more talent but he has improved his footwork and his accuracy. I believe he's put a great deal of work into his craft. He wants to be great. He doesn't get much help from the running game either.
Do you really think that Murray doesn’t want to be great? IMO, that couldn’t be further from the truth. My fear is that the Buffalo coaching staff is 1000x better than the Cardinal staff. And Buffalo has significantly more offensive weapons that what the Cardinals possess. I’m not taking anything away from Allen. His improvement is off the charts impressive. But Murray today is significantly better than where Allen was 1 year ago. Where Allen has been blessed with outstanding coaching this past offseason, I think Murray is somewhat disgusted with KK’s overall system. Add a pathetic WR group as a whole & a putrid interior OL & Murray literally had to be Superman week in and week out for this team to consistently win. With McDermott, Allen has never quite been in that position. This isn’t about measuring Murray vs Allen. This is exposing why the Cardinals are a poorly coached football team right now. Let’s hope by some miracle, that changes. As for Murray, he’ll continue to improve & I don’t question at all that there are very few QB’s that want to win as badly as he does.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
The Josh Allen of 2018 and the Josh Allen of 2020 are light years apart. You could see the maturation of Allen over these three years and the improvement of his overall game. He dedicated time to change the precision of his game form both a physical and mental aspect. It appears he has worked hard to improve the fundamentals of his game. Allen wants to be great, he wants to be regarded as a QB that plays the game at a high level. Watching Murray after two years his game has pretty much stayed the same. He has gotten minimally better in the pocket and his fundamentals still are lacking. Murray likes winning and the notoriety that goes with it. Murray has won his entire career up to this point with a game that has deficiencies and those deficiencies were never big enough to get in the way of winning with the game he possessed and the notoriety that came with it. Now those deficiencies are big enough to affect his game at the NFL level. So far we have seen little evidence that Murray wants to be a great QB who is recognized for his high playing level.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
from offensive coordinator at Brophy Prep to HC of the Cards

and we complain about KKs experience
He volunteered at Broohy, but was an OC at Desert Mountain High School, which is the best high school in the country.

But hard pass on him as a HC for a hundre reasons, one being that he has no coaching experience beyond HS and I can’t see him taking that much time away from his family

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that he thinks he already is.
And I’m ok with that. I already think he’s great too. The problem is that he needs to be even GREATER if we’re to be a legit threat. We don’t have enough talent on this team for him to be only great.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
And I’m ok with that. I already think he’s great too. The problem is that he needs to be even GREATER if we’re to be a legit threat. We don’t have enough talent on this team for him to be only great.

If he thinks he's already great what more could he possibly learn? :sarcasm:

That's the problem IMO. As I stated below he already thinks he's great and there is no need to put in more work then he already has.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
i think the differences between Allen and Murray are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Kyler has a ton of natural accuracy — we saw that the last two seasons. His problem, IMO, is he may not be doing the hard mental work in the film room and classroom that would allow the offense to become more variable.

Allen had broken physical fundamentals that were the result of amateur-level coaching until he made it to the NFL. He had to overcome a bunch of bad habits he didn’t know he had — muscle memory stuff that’s really hard to do — to get to this point.

I don't think KM thinks he has bad habits, although he still does. Like @WisconsinCard said, if he already thinks he's great, while there's nothing wrong with self-confidence, it may be a matter of not recognizing those bad habits.

If he thinks he's already great what more could he possibly learn? :sarcasm:

That's the problem IMO. As I stated below he already thinks he's great and there is no need to put in more work then he already has.

Yep. And that can mean he doesn't try to address the bad habits.