Wanted: A REAL Offensive Coordinator-apply AZ Cardinals

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Agreed, then he needs a right hand man next to him managing the details of the game. It been discussed for a long time about coaches getting caught up in calling plays that they let details slip by. It would be a reason for so many wasted timeouts. If he going to be an NFL head coach he needs to be able to multitask and do it all or the NFL will stand for "not for long" for KK. Or pass other duties off to someone else.
He could do both, smart coaches can & do. Stefanski in Cleveland does it, Andy Reid does it & so does BA. I think he lets Leftwich call the plays now though because he knows his career in coaching is almost over. Plus he really wants Leftwich to take over when he retires this time. KK just spends too much time worrying about the next play being the right one, the right one being called at the right time is up for debate lol.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
98.7 playing clips this morning of KK talking with Scott Van Pelt and he is asked "What would it take to let someone else come in and call the plays?" KK said he'd have to be retired for that to happen. He said "Some guys are good at managing games, but that's not me...I have to be working with the QB closely and calling the plays...that's what I am good at doing."

Then they need to bring in an assistant HC / game manager and make Kliff the quasi HC / OC if they're not going to fire him?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
But it was interesting to hear Kingsbury address his thoughts on playcalling via the Scott Van Pelt podcast, which was released back on Oct. 27 during the season. (h/t to the "Doug and Wolf" show because I missed this at the time.) The Cardinals at that point were 5-2 and in first place in the NFC West -- basically the high point of the season (although the Hail Murray was a pretty good moment too.) Kingsbury was asked what it would take for him ever to give up playcalling duties.

"I would retire," Kingsbury said. "It's part of the game, I couldn't just sit there and watch it. A lot of people are great at that, managing games, and that's not my strong suit. My strong suit is calling it and interacting with the quarterback. I've got to play to my strengths."

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/potential-coaching-changes-and-kliff-kingsbury-on-playcalling

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was pretty invisible. I wonder how much input he had and if they will feel a need to replace him.

Feels like Clement retired last season.

Tom Clement is naturally self-effacing.

He, in fact, came out of retirement to lend a hand.

Whatever the title may be, it's certain they'll be adding someone to assist at a senior level on offence.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He was pretty invisible. I wonder how much input he had and if they will feel a need to replace him.

Feels like Clement retired last season.
My problem with the setup was that he was the QB coach as well, but not on the sideline. No knock against Turner but we needed Clements on the sideline talking over what Kyler was seeing/not seeing, checking him on his footwork, etc.etc

So in a way nothing really changes in terms of QB coaching. Hopefully we bring in a creative offensive mind as our passing game coordinator.

Reaction score
MB & SK said this during the press conference the day KK was hired. I'm paraphrasing of course. "We just wanted to hire KK as the head coach & not as on OC so he couldn't be lured away as another team's head coach". If it gets to the point the play calling of KK can't produce much during next season he will be gone imo? He wants to call the plays & if he isn't allowed it's not gonna be a good situation for him. He would second guess his forced OC's play calls if that scenario happens? As long as he's our head coach, he will call the plays. I hope he reinvents his playbook this offseason? I know we need more weapons on offense like a #2 & 3 WR but something has to change. Our offense numbers wise in 2020 was light years ahead of 2019, however, after a 6-3 start, we limped to a 2-5 record the last seven games. That's not good. The most frustrating games for me this season were the games against the Lions, Patriots & Panthers. We can debate the last 2 games all we want & it's a legit discussion but those 3 games cost us the playoffs. No excuse to lose those 3 games.
Do you think our offense was light years ahead of last year, because of kk ? Or because we have the best wr in the league

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What would our offense have looked like if we didn’t have Hop. We don’t even sniff a playoff possibility. Keim and possibly KK get canned because this would have been a 4 win team. We desperately need big WR with speed and put Kirk in the slot. Add speed RB and a thumper at RB. Upgrade interior OL. Keim made over the defense last year, now the O needs a makeover. Tough to do with the amount of holes we have

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
He could do both, smart coaches can & do. Stefanski in Cleveland does it, Andy Reid does it & so does BA. I think he lets Leftwich call the plays now though because he knows his career in coaching is almost over. Plus he really wants Leftwich to take over when he retires this time. KK just spends too much time worrying about the next play being the right one, the right one being called at the right time is up for debate lol.
I agree but the coaches you mention have a substantial pedigree in the NFL. So given enough time KK will get better at it. In the mean time why not give him some assistance, until it all slows down for him?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you think our offense was light years ahead of last year, because of kk ? Or because we have the best wr in the league

Why does it have to be either-or and also ignore the improved pass protection?

Having the best W/O didn't make a difference when we had Stevelar under centre.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Eric Bieniemy is the Offensive Coordinator and play-caller in KC.

Interestingly, Reid, a notoriously bad game manager improved when he turned over the reins to EB.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is it not weird Keim hasn't had a year on conference yet? I might be off-base, but I swore it's usually happened by now...

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Hmm I said that the last 2 off seasons? We have a pass game coordinator no offensive coordinator, even after running more to actually compete, compared to passing ourselves to death. no emphasis on the run game coaching - Saxon does ok as rb coach, but doesn’t get a vote on the game planning, training camp or game day. Run needs to be a primary not an after thought. Look at our structure, but the more we run the better we compete.

https://www.azcardinals.com/team/coaches-roster/

Reaction score
Hmm I said that the last 2 off seasons? We have a pass game coordinator no offensive coordinator, even after running more to actually compete, compared to passing ourselves to death. no emphasis on the run game coaching - Saxon does ok as rb coach, but doesn’t get a vote on the game planning, training camp or game day. Run needs to be a primary not an after thought. Look at our structure, but the more we run the better we compete.

https://www.azcardinals.com/team/coaches-roster/
It makes no sense
I believe this was keim’s idea

Morty

Veteran
Reaction score
It hasn't completely changed. The concepts are still very much the same. He's just far less 10 pers and more 11 and 12.

But the route concepts and the scheme as a whole is still very much Air Raid, which is bad.

There's a bad misconception about Air Raid which I think comes from it's name. Air Raid! Woohoo. Big bombs. Aggressiveness. etc etc but it's crap.

Air Raid is "offense for dummies". It's a very basic system that at it's core is designed to be simple enough for ******** teenagers to understand and remember and relies on the WR's being bigger, faster and more talented than the DB's they face. Which generally they are. It's having enough WR's that they are often single covered and can win by being better athletes.

Obviously Kliff has had to adapt it because none of that translates to the NFL, but at it's heart the route concepts are still very basic and it's still built around some core concepts that once teams figure them out are not difficult to stop.
Best explanation of the Air Raid offense I've heard. It fits what I've seen on the field. Drafting another wide receiver in 2020 may have been more important than most folks realized. The logical outcome is that this experiment will fail or changes will be made. Have you seen any hope for the latter?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave