Kurt Warner on Kliff and Kyler

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
https://arizonasports.com/story/249...y-kliff-kingsbury-is-a-matter-of-perspective/

“When I look at [the head coach and quarterback] position, what I’m watching for is growth and progress, and that’s exactly what we’re seeing from both of those guys in their first two years. It’s a process,” Hall of Famer and former Cardinals QB Kurt Warner told Arizona Sports’ Bickley & Marotta on Tuesday.

“They’re building in the right direction and had a chance to go to the playoffs in their second year. To me, that’s success — that’s what you want to see.”

I didn't see this anywhere and I thought it was a good read. Take from it what you will.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nobody is happy on how the season ended but Kurt Warner is right a lot of progress from year one has been made.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nobody is happy on how the season ended but Kurt Warner is right a lot of progress from year one has been made.

I think Kurt didn't watch the Cardinals whole season, especially how the offense regressed from the middle to the end of the season
Its often said, it doesn't matter how u start but how u finish, so the team finished the season pretty bad
His comments is based on final stats so thats why he sees the glass half full, but there are concerns

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
https://arizonasports.com/story/249...y-kliff-kingsbury-is-a-matter-of-perspective/

“When I look at [the head coach and quarterback] position, what I’m watching for is growth and progress, and that’s exactly what we’re seeing from both of those guys in their first two years. It’s a process,” Hall of Famer and former Cardinals QB Kurt Warner told Arizona Sports’ Bickley & Marotta on Tuesday.

“They’re building in the right direction and had a chance to go to the playoffs in their second year. To me, that’s success — that’s what you want to see.”

I didn't see this anywhere and I thought it was a good read. Take from it what you will.

Did you think there was growth or progress from year 1 to year 2? Frankly, I thought the offense looked much better at the end of year one than the end of year two.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I think Kurt didn't watch the Cardinals whole season and how the the season started and how the offense regressed during the year
Its been often said, it doesn't matter how u start but how u finish, so the team finished the season pretty bad
His comments is based on final stats so thats why he sees the glass half full, but there are concerns
Kurt's heart really is out there for the Cards and I have no doubt he has watched everything... but that does not mean his opinion is right, his admiration for the franchise skewing his opinion

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Get a few oline a young wr with speed next to hop and this team could do good and upgrade corners

I like dre but he commits a bumch of stupid ass penalties

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can point to where our season changed and that’s the second Seahawks game where Kyler gets hurt.

we need him to play like a superstar to win we don’t have the weapons on offense to make up for him not being 100

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Warner lost me when he compared the Cardinals to the Dolphins. First Tua didn't start until game 7 and was in his rookie year compare to a second year player who had 16 under his belt already at the beginning of 2020.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
TBF, only one of you two has actually played in the NFL, been around the inner workings of a franchise, and won a super bowl.

Oh, I'm so, so terribly sorry to, to offer opinions on a message board. Wow, I'm so humbled now.

How weird would it be if I were THAT guy :biglaugh:

Were you going to offer something constructive? You could say the same thing of Rich Kotite (sans the Super Bowl bit). With very rare exceptions, nobody here has done any of those things. And yet there are still opinions that run contrary to some experts. And other experts disagree with Kurt. So...

Once again, what are you contributing here?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Good stuff.
ESPN has a story on the growth of Josh Allen that's pretty good too. Basically credits Jordan Palmer working with him in the offseason the last 3 years.

if only the Cards had a connection with Jordan Palmer!
Imo thats going to have to be on Kyler to reach out.

Seems that Kyler would rather work with his dad when not in camp. And while it did a good job getting him prepped for college I think we saw what no NFL coaching this offseason did to him mechanically. Jordan works with Kyle Allen as well so Kyler's gotta get over whatever college beef they had. If he works with him.
Did you think there was growth or progress from year 1 to year 2? Frankly, I thought the offense looked much better at the end of year one than the end of year two.
To be fair the running game was much better to end the year as well last year. Drake went off the final month of the season. He and the interior Oline werent as strong this year.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would be happy if we shed the soft label next year on both sides of the ball. On offense be dominant in the run game with a hard running big back combined with a speed back. Defense I want the intensity of the 85 bears.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I would love to have Kurt Warner as our QB coach. KM would probably laugh at KK's QB lessons after hearing what a real QB could teach him. Don't think any amount of money could drag him out of the studio booth though?

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'd be more inclined to agree with Kurt if the season hadn't started strong and finished on a steep downhill slope. 8-8 was a mirage. If they'd started 2-5 and finished 8-8 - I think there would be a lot of optimism. But you don't want to see regression as the season goes along, then just look at the season as a whole and call it an improvement. Everything has been trending DOWN, not up.

Reaction score
I'd be more inclined to agree with Kurt if the season hadn't started strong and finished on a steep downhill slope. 8-8 was a mirage. If they'd started 2-5 and finished 8-8 - I think there would be a lot of optimism. But you don't want to see regression as the season goes along, then just look at the season as a whole and call it an improvement. Everything has been trending DOWN, not up.
i dont agree with kurt warner.
And i love kurt warner..one of my all tine favorite players and people.
To me, i measure our success with the games that we found ways to win (buffalo/seattle 1), the games we did win. ( sf,nyg, nyj,wash, dallas, philly, and look at the games we lost (were we out matched?-i dont think so).
Seattle 2-ok i will gladly take a split .
Miami- inexcusable
New england- really poor in all phases..
Carolina-how can you lose this game the way we did?
Detroit- are you kidding?
Rams 1- poor effort
Rams 2 - humiliating
Sf 2- this shows how much we digressed this year!
If the sf team we played game 1, played the sf team we played game ..
Game 1 sf team blows them out.
We lose????
Were we out coached? I think so..8 out of 8 times..,
Why?
Poor game plans, lack of imagination, really poor decisions (ex. Sticking with zane, predictable play calling),

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
End of this season confirms for me that we have the worst coach staff in NFC West. Every other team, two with multiple starters out made us always look two moves behind

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sadly, we were a vastly overrated football team, even when we were 5-2 & 6-3. After that, the DL took too many hits and the interior of our OL was just totally exposed. Add a pathetic WR group outside of Hopkins, and a running game that depended on Murray getting 75 yards EVERY week in order to be effective, and you have a 7-9 or 8-8 team. I think Kugler is an exceptional OL coach, but the OL needs a heavy infusion of talent & toughness. We need a WR2 & WR3. We need a new RB1. We need a CB1, and more CB depth. Murray camouflaged so many holes on this team. But, I love the fact that we HAVE our franchise QB. I have no doubt in saying that. As disappointed as I am with the coaching staff as a whole, I never thought any changes would be made after going 8-8. Looks like next year will be a telling season, not only for KK & his staff, but for Keim also. Record aside, if the overall play even remotely resembles what we saw the last 5 weeks of this season, they will all be sent packing. However it plays out, if I were Bidwill, I would do everything I could to keep Kugler.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Interesting I thought it was a fluff piece. There really weren’t many specifics. Kirt just seemed like he was repeating the same things with different words. And while he acknowledged shortfalls he didn’t give them much weight. To be honest it read like a guy who is supposed to be knowledgeable about the game but didn’t actually know a lot about the team he was addressing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose