Under-examined embarrassment from Sunday?

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kingsbury probably didn't know Kyler was going back in.
Having a non assertive background kind of guy as your head coach and at quarterback is a challenge when rapid communication is paramount.
If one of them is a dominant type, OK. Or both, if you like successful conflict. But having neither is a concern. Especially if HC is also trying to be the OC and doesn't have time to see what's going on outside of his own head.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Did I hallucinate the story that Streveler wasn’t told that Murray was coming back into the game? I mean, there are like 50 coaches on the field; surely one of them coulda let the bad QB know the hurt QB was coming back in.

Seemed obvious to me.

Kyler was on the bench with two coaches talking directly to him and looking at the surface pro. Streveler was standing to the side with his back turned.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I honestly don't know how much audible freedom Murray has, to be honest. I've questioned that for 2 years. Because if he did have autonomy, he'd surely know to audible out of so many of the dumb behind the LOS plays, that never had success. With Murray, I don't even think he gets the 2 runs and 1 pass play, the way a lot of QB's do, called into his helmet.

I'm saying during the time out murray looks at KK and flat out saying I'm not calling that play. Give me another or I will.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard the explanation, but nothing explains why you would call a run play (let alone 2!) when it was clear that he was hobbled.

Oh they shouldn't have done that I agree. I just meant as to why he wasn't in earlier.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've heard the explanation, but nothing explains why you would call a run play (let alone 2!) when it was clear that he was hobbled.

Those plays could honestly be what Murray was most frustrated about during the postgame presser, too. I could see him asking those same questions about why those dumb plays were called, when they know he's hurt.

I think the redzone run play was actually worse. We moved the ball well. So dont get out of rhythm trying something like that. A passing play was what we needed. He takes a big hit because of the run play and the next play he's jittery and takes a sack. Totally kills the drive.

I actually SORT of get the 3rd and 18 run. I think he really thought he'd catch the defense totally off guard to pick up 9 yards. Maybe Kliff thought since Kyler actually carried out the play on the previous drive he could move a bit. If you watch the play if Kyler cuts up field he picks up 10 yards. Must have been a miscommunication between coach/player before that drive.

Last edited:

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He should have never gone back in the game. Lucky it did not end up been RG3 situation especially against a team that caused your last decent QB to retire. Why Kliff let him back in game on 3rd & 15 is insane knowing that you don't want him to dropback to avoid further injury. The read option play was right call to not get him hurt but the decision after time out to let him take snap knowing that was case is incomprehensible. Same case from 1st & goal in 2nd half. Why did you not try to punch it from 7 yard line with KD instead of read option again?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He should have never gone back in the game. Lucky it did not end up been RG3 situation especially against a team that caused your last decent QB to retire. Why Kliff let him back in game on 3rd & 15 is insane knowing that you don't want him to dropback to avoid further injury. The read option play was right call to not get him hurt but the decision after time out to let him take snap knowing that was case is incomprehensible. Same case from 1st & goal in 2nd half. Why did you not try to punch it from 7 yard line with KD instead of read option again?
More I think about it Kliff should have brought in Strev for those run plays as well. Strev turns the corner and probably gets closer to the endzone. Otherwise dont call a read option so close to the goaline.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Something nobody is considering, if they saw Streveler's pics after winning the Grey Cup... dude probably is not the sharpest tool in the box :)

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I honestly don't know how much audible freedom Murray has, to be honest. I've questioned that for 2 years. Because if he did have autonomy, he'd surely know to audible out of so many of the dumb behind the LOS plays, that never had success. With Murray, I don't even think he gets the 2 runs and 1 pass play, the way a lot of QB's do, called into his helmet.

He may not be at a point of reading defenses presnap to give him that freedom. With experience and hopefully improvement, he can get to that point. Ironically, that may also explain the lack of motion utilized. Give Kyler less to view and interpret.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Less than 50%
Not on the pile on Kliff train yet. However, one of the things I said when I was "anti Kliff" last year was that Baylor didnt have a ton of resources, talent, and were coming off huge allegations. However, Matt Rhule had that team competing in the BIg 12 championship game in just a few years.

Iowa State this year was competing for the Big 12 title.

Its also why I've been so hard on Keim about getting talent. Kliff may not be a complete franchise changer/fixer. He might just be a bright offensive mind who excels when he's got a lot of talent for his system. Nothing wrong with that if we get the players. However, if you dont then his flaws standout more.

Reaction score
Not on the pile on Kliff train yet. However, one of the things I said when I was "anti Kliff" last year was that Baylor didnt have a ton of resources, talent, and were coming off huge allegations. However, Matt Rhule had that team competing in the BIg 12 championship game in just a few years.

Iowa State this year was competing for the Big 12 title.

Its also why I've been so hard on Keim about getting talent. Kliff may not be a complete franchise changer/fixer. He might just be a bright offensive mind who excels when he's got a lot of talent for his system. Nothing wrong with that if we get the players. However, if you dont then his flaws standout more.
Ok
If he is so bright
Please tell me what he has done that makes you think that??
The plays are predictable and unimaginative..
Please someone tell me what i am missing??

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Ok
If he is so bright
Please tell me what he has done that makes you think that??
The plays are predictable and unimaginative..
Please someone tell me what i am missing??
I think the plays formation wise can seem unimaginative but it's the options within the plays which the WRs for example have to adjust and expose as the play develops which gives the offense a complex variant which is hard to cover... hence, the look pre snap is not the play itself, sort of like the defense choosing their own demise with how they react if the offense is clicking with a QB and WRs being on the same page and reacting together

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Don’t want to see another WR screen for a long time. Heard PAt P say he was going against a lot of crossing routes all year and was tough to stay with WRs through the traffic. WOW what a novel concept, to bad we didn’t try this concept. Either Murray can’t read defenses and we keep it Forrest Gump simple for him, or KK isn’t that good of a player caller. I think it’s both.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
3 wins to 8 wins?

:biglaugh:
More like vomiting all over the room. Waking up feeling better (first half of this year). Then realizing the fever is returning and beginning to throw up again (games 10-15). And then suddenly vomiting blood (niners and Rams losses to beathard and wolford).

Reaction score
Don’t want to see another WR screen for a long time. Heard PAt P say he was going against a lot of crossing routes all year and was tough to stay with WRs through the traffic. WOW what a novel concept, to bad we didn’t try this concept. Either Murray can’t read defenses and we keep it Forrest Gump simple for him, or KK isn’t that good of a player caller. I think it’s both.
Thats what im talking about
Where is the genius?
Where is the innovation??

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Quick slants across the middle to Hopkins worked well when KM was under center, play faked & rolled out. KK just refuses to use plays that work the second time. Instead he keeps going back to what doesn't work.

Wyldbill

Reaction score
Sharpest tool based on a celebratory photo from the Grey Cup parade? Kid graduated in 3 1/2 yrs from high school academic all state...graduated in 3 years from the University of Minnesota academic all American...completed his first Masters first year at S Dakota..2nd Masters his last year there and started on a 3rd..once again named academic All-American. If you ask me ..Kliff is the one who needs little sharpening..if you ever watched this kid play...you would know that Streveler's skill set lends itself to RPO's and running to set up the pass. It looked to me that Kliff was coaching scared and afraid to get him hurt should an injury occur with no third option at QB..If in fact Streveler was used in the same fashion as McVey used Woolford..it would have been a whole different ballgame imo