Bickley and other media calling for Kliff to be gone.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Riley's experience shows he's capable of winning more games than he loses...and there's still an unknown reason, why Murray said no to Kliff, twice, in college.
Well to be fair, I would rather play for Texas A&M & Oklahoma before Texas Tech regardless, tbh.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh I don't know...would you rather play for two traditional Big 12 powerhouses or a meh team in Lubbock?

Oklahoma is a powerhouse for sure, but when did Texas A&M become a Big 12 powerhouse?! They’ve won zero Big 12 titles since they joined in 1998. They have only 1 division title in over 20 years.

and spare me the “You can’t expect Tech to play with the big boys in the conference” excuse for Kingsbury’s failure in the conference considering we’ve seen the Baylors and TCU’s create not just solid overall programs, but even a couple CFB playoff teams and top ten rankings in multiple seasons.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
The horrific truth about the decision not only to start Strevler but why was he even the backup QB in the first place.

He wasn’t even a star in the CFL. He wasn’t even GOOD OR MEDIOCRE. In fact, he was so bad that he got benched right before their playoffs started. How bad does a QB have to be to get benched right before your team gets to the playoffs?!

“Strevler spent the past two seasons in the CFL and … played pretty terribly. He entered the 2019 season as the backup for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, but was forced into action after an injury to starter Matt Nichols. Streveler threw eight touchdowns and 14 interceptions, finishing second in the league in interceptions and leading the league in interception rate. Ahead of the playoffs, the Bombers benched Streveler in favor of former Cincinnati starter Zach Collaros—and ended up winning the CFL’s championship, the Grey Cup, with Collaros under center and Streveler coming in primarily for running packages. (He had three passes and nine carries in the Grey Cup win.)

While the CFL used to be a breeding ground for potential NFL quarterbacks, like Warren Moon, Joe Theismann, and Doug Flutie, the Canadian game hasn’t been a consistent feeder to the NFL for decades. Streveler became the first former CFL quarterback to record statistics in an NFL game since Jeff Garcia retired in 2009. I like watching the CFL, and think it’s really valuable as its own unique product, but I have to wonder: How the hell did the Cardinals scout the CFL and decide the most NFL-ready passer in the entire league was the guy who threw twice as many picks as touchdowns? Did they just see the pictures of him shirtless at the championship parade and think he was the league’s MVP and not a backup?”

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/...iladelphia-washington-cleveland-derrick-henry

read the above and tell me any decision makers on this team deserve another year of our time and frustration.

I read this much of this comment and already liked it.

"The horrific truth about the decision not only to start Strevler but why was he even the backup QB in the first place."

The fact that Kliff Kingsbury rather Activate Steveler over Hundley throughout the entire year is mind blowing to me. He can't win me back after that, his goose is cooked. This team won in spite of Vance Joseph and Kliff Kingsbury.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Uh I don't know...would you rather play for two traditional Big 12 powerhouses or a meh team in Lubbock?

I get you, but wouldn't he have gotten more playing time with Kliff? He sat at OU and only got 1 year. Could have had 2, minimum with Kliff and that's if he had to sit behind Pat.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Oklahoma is a powerhouse for sure, but when did Texas A&M become a Big 12 powerhouse?! They’ve won zero Big 12 titles since they joined in 1998. They have only 1 division title in over 20 years.

and spare me the “You can’t expect Tech to play with the big boys in the conference” excuse for Kingsbury’s failure in the conference considering we’ve seen the Baylors and TCU’s create not just solid overall programs, but even a couple CFB playoff teams and top ten rankings in multiple seasons.

Texas A&M is in the SEC now and won a lot of games in their first season there when Manziel was there. The move to the SEC increased the attractiveness of that program.

I'm not excusing Kingsbury but it is a lot easier to recruit to College Station, Waco and Ft Worth then it is to Lubbock. If I was a kid and I had all the big Texas schools coming after me it'd take something special to pick Tech.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Texas A&M is in the SEC now and won a lot of games in their first season there when Manziel was there. The move to the SEC increased the attractiveness of that program.

I'm not excusing Kingsbury but it is a lot easier to recruit to College Station, Waco and Ft Worth then it is to Lubbock. If I was a kid and I had all the big Texas schools coming after me it'd take something special to pick Tech.

Yep. Removing context is a funny thing, isn't it?

Tech is a REALLY hard place to win. Leach winning there shows how special he was....and Kingsbury flat out admitted that he sucked as a recruiter, so his chances of winning there even with a usual top 10 offense were very limited.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yea, not excusing Kliff at all either, but I don’t think folks realize how isolated Lubbock is compared to those other locations.

Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

"The horrific truth about the decision not only to start Strevler but why was he even the backup QB in the first place."

The fact that Kliff Kingsbury rather Activate Steveler over Hundley throughout the entire year is mind blowing to me. He can't win me back after that, his goose is cooked. This team won in spite of Vance Joseph and Kliff Kingsbury.

When KK made Streveler the backup QB I assumed there was a plan in place to utilize Streveler in somewhat the way Taysom Hill is utilized by Sean Payton at the New Orleans Saints. Obviously that never happened.

Now the only reasonable conclusion is that Kliff just wanted to hook up with Streveler's Mom!!

Last edited:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

So if they win, it's the players and if they lose it's KK and VJ?

Just think... without KK and VJ we could have had the first perfect season since the '72 Dolphins.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
The fact that KK and company went 6-2 to start the season is the reason Mike and Keim keep the status quo going forward. They will think key injuries and lost games due to covid was the reason for the last half decline. Which may or may not be true but we'll see what happens with the same coaching staff and GM next season?

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I’m in the KK unicorns corner, so he will probably be fired! We were competitive all year until the last game, why no active hunley? Well that was a poor decision, he has real nfl experience and this was a playoff game. KK balanced it up more, mostly with km, who the hell us ward? Why didn’t we see enos all year, think he’s a spark plug, but that’s just my cup of tea at the rb position.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Um before Baylor and TCU got good it wasn’t easier to recruit to. Ft Worth is the only advantage. Waco and college station are not much different from Lubbock. I’ve been to all of them.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Um before Baylor and TCU got good it wasn’t easier to recruit to. Ft Worth is the only advantage. Waco and college station are not much different from Lubbock. I’ve been to all of them.
Ehhh.

At least with both Waco & College Station, you’re 30 minutes MIN & 3 hours MAX away from Dallas, Houston, & Austin in some form.

With Lubbock, the biggest city you’re closest to is.....El Paso? Albuquerque? Both are 5 hours away.

Problem with Lubbock is just that it’s so isolated from every other big city which definitely turns some recruits off.

waterboy

Rookie
Reaction score
Just a different take from my observation. KK doesn't seem mature enough for this job. C'mon, man. At least wear socks. You're not auditioning for the hippest coach in the league. Or are you?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Ehhh.

At least with both Waco & College Station, you’re 30 minutes MIN & 3 hours MAX away from Dallas, Houston, & Austin in some form.

With Lubbock, the biggest city you’re closest to is.....El Paso? Albuquerque? Both are 5 hours away.

Problem with Lubbock is just that it’s so isolated from every other big city which definitely turns some recruits off.
Lubbock has the ghost of Buddy Holly, so there’s that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Ehhh.

Eh, most college kids don't care about being near the "big city," but care if their school/town is a good party scene. Not sure how Lubbock is with that. I'm sure BYU must suck in that aspect lol

Edit: Penn State isn't close to a major city, but no one there really cares.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eh, most college kids don't care about being near the "big city," but care if their school/town is a good party scene. Not sure how Lubbock is with that. I'm sure BYU must suck in that aspect lol

Both play a factor. Kids love partying, but they love wanting to get away & hit another huge area when they have time to.

Penn State is 2 hours away from Pittsburgh. A little bit longer from Philly & Baltimore. That’s still relatively close.

You’re not going to find many power 5 schools that is as isolated as Texas Tech is.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

I've been to all of them too--and I will have to disagree with you there. If you are a kid from Houston or Austin you can be home every weekend from College Station in less than 2 hours, if you are from DFW or Austin you can be home from Waco every weekend too. Lubbock has nothing going for it, it may not be El Paso ugly but it's close.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Both play a factor. Kids love partying, but they love wanting to get away & hit another huge area when they have time to.

Penn State is 2 hours away from Pittsburgh. A little bit longer from Philly & Baltimore. That’s still relatively close.

You’re not going to find many power 5 schools that is as isolated as Texas Tech is.

No argument there!

Penn State is more than 2 hours from Pittsburgh, though. Supposedly 2 1/2, but I-76 is always a bastard ;)
Harrisburg is closer and, though not as big, the greater area has a ton of stuff to do.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Ehhh.

Very true.

It's literally in the middle of nowhere. Lubbock also smells like cow you know what when the wind blows from a certain direction (due to stockyards).

Texas Tech doesn't have traditions like A&M or educational excellence like Baylor either.

I am not saying you can't win there but you are not getting top recruits.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

From what I hear it is a great party town. Heck, there are photos floating around of Kliff enjoying the party scene
You must be registered for see images attach

I'd add from my experience Wisconsin is a MAJOR party college as well.
Very true.

It's literally in the middle of nowhere. Lubbock also smells like cow you know what when the wind blows from a certain direction (due to stockyards).

Texas Tech doesn't have traditions like A&M or educational excellence like Baylor either.

I am not saying you can't win there but you are not getting top recruits.
Thats true. My point earlier was that guys like Matt Rhule, Matt Campbell, etc found ways to get near the top of the Big 12 without big time recruits.

Mike Leach had a winning season every year and they won 11 games at Tech as well.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i think KKs lack of success in college was in part to the fact that he hated recruiting and wasnt good at it

for offense, the scheme was dynamic enough to sell itself, but for defense? why go?

college is about athletes. Ohio State and Alabama would roll people regardless of what scheme they ran. Im not saying coaching doesnt matter, but its a distant second

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave