15 thoughts - Rams game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – Kyler Murray is a tough dude.

2 – On the first two drives, John Wolford throws an interception, Chris Streveler plays quarterback and Jonathan Ward scores a touchdown. Was I watching an NFL game?

3 – It really is a travesty that they have increased the fake noise on the broadcast.

4 – Adjusted Cardinals-fit-mode on, I agree with J.J.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

5 – In a game where field position is huge you want Andy Lee on your team.

6 – I like Trent Sherfield. Obviously mostly on special teams, but even on offense I enjoy when he is on the field.

7 – Even I can make the analysis that if you make C.J. Beathard and John Wolford look like legit NFL quarterbacks in back-to-back weeks, then there is something wrong with your defensive play. There are many factors, but the responsibility ultimately falls on Vance Joseph.

8 – Coach’s finest job is to develop players and put them in positions to make plays. Budda Baker has never played better than this season. Haason Reddick and De’Vondre Campbell has been playing great all season. Jalen Thompson and Leki Fotu are showing potential to be cornerstones. Isaiah Simmons are flashing big playmaker-abilities. There are many factors, but the responsibility ultimately falls on Vance Joseph.

9 – Why do many team doctors wear suits?

10 – It was Mason Cole that screwed up on the blocked punt. I am not saying, I am just saying.

11 – First round cornerback, thank you.

12 – 38 minutes time of possession to the Rams. 22 minutes to the Cards. That is just tragicomic.

13 – Throughout the entire season, Tanner Vallejo has consistently been playing very well when he has gotten defensive snaps.

14 – Not so great to see Nuk Hopkins overall being beat badly by Jalen Ramsey.

15 – In regard to 2019, the defense significantly – significantly – improved in total yards given up and points given up. Sure, to evaluate more accurate you must dive into the situational things, but after all, yards- and points given up is what the game is about.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
2 - Loved the play call to Ward...exactly the types of plays we need inside the 10. Why didn't Ward get any carries...he looked more explosive than Drake.

12 - Agreed. Lack of drives sustained due to penalties and a RB that can't get short yardage or bust a few long gains (see Najee Harris). Combine that with a defense that allows long drives.

14 - We need Nuk to do better than that. You can't have your top playmaker completely taken out of the game.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1 - I disagree

7 - I don't think the defense was really the issue in either game. They didn't play great but I think well enough to win. The fact they didn'tt win is on the offense and Kliff

14 - Jalen Ramsey is very good.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Absolutely disagree with #1.
Potentially last game of the year, win or go home. If Kyler was good enough to go in at the end of the game, then he could have gone in at the very least right after half time, if not earlier.
I'm sure they will try to say it was a coaching decision or what not.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be one thing to finish 8-8 while winning your last two games. But losing these last two games against teams that were pretty banged up is deplorable.

The offense has let us down much of the time. Just 19 total points in two of the biggest games of the season?

Short yardage situations became a struggle. We could say we’re not in the playoffs because we couldn’t score after a first and goal from the one yard line. Or if Zane kicks a fg. Or if Kirk doesn’t drop a td pass. If any of that happens these last two games wouldn’t have mattered.

Three coaching decisions will stick in my craw this off season.
1. Versus the 49ers, down 2 points with about 9 minutes to play and we go for it on 4 th and 5 from our own 35 yard line.
2.Punting with 4 minutes to play down 9 points.
3. Calling an option play with a gimpy QB on 3rd and 18.

Ugh.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
#1 is questionable. What toughness he did show was way to little WAY to late...

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh and JJ Watt is spot on...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Potentially last game of the year, win or go home. If Kyler was good enough to go in at the end of the game, then he could have gone in at the very least right after half time, if not earlier.

You have no idea what Kyler was capable of and or/when he could have come back. Jesus.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have no idea what Kyler was capable of and or/when he could have come back. Jesus.

Ehhh typically injuries tighten up and are harder to come back the longer you wait. That’s pretty common knowledge.

Reactions: PJ1

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ehhh typically injuries tighten up and are harder to come back the longer you wait. That’s pretty common knowledge.

He could have gotten a shot in his ankle to numb the pain/swelling and had to wait for it to take effect. Again, we have no idea what it was, so to claim anything else is pure conjecture.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He could have gotten a shot in his ankle to numb the pain/swelling and had to wait for it to take effect. Again, we have no idea what it was, so to claim anything else is pure conjecture.
Thing is too if he cant protect himself he really could have got RG3'd out there against that pass rush. Especially the way Mason Cole was blocking out there.

Ultimately we should have just had Hundley active. Last game of the season, QB off of injury, inexperienced backup we needed 3 QBs. Maybe all Kyler could give you was a couple more drives? More well the offseason could have potentially been ruined.

Reactions: HGC

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thing is too if he cant protect himself he really could have got RG3'd out there against that pass rush. Especially the way Mason Cole was blocking out there.

Ultimately we should have just had Hundley active. Last game of the season, QB off of injury, inexperienced backup we needed 3 QBs. Maybe all Kyler could give you was a couple more drives? More well the offseason could have potentially been ruined.

I have no idea why Hundley wasn't active. I also don't know why Isabella didn't get snaps when two of our best receivers out, or why Simmons still seems to be on a snap count. I hate the coach's personnel decisions more than I hate just about everything else.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have no idea why Hundley wasn't active. I also don't know why Isabella didn't get snaps when two of our best receivers out, or why Simmons still seems to be on a snap count. I hate the coach's personnel decisions more than I hate just about everything else.
Not only that. The thing that became clear is having no QB behind Strev means the playcalling is limited as well.

I really think Kliff was afraid to run the hell out of Strev cause if he got hurt as well we were screwed. If Hundley's at least active maybe we run Strev 12 to 15 times. Whatever it takes to get the win.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The touchdown play from Streveler to Ward was great.

And after it worked, Kliff went back to his nonsense offense where Streveler had to drop back and try to throw to covered receivers, and Drake ran up the middle for 1 yard over and over again.

Why not stick with something that worked? Jet sweeps - misdirection - easy completions to keep the chains moving?? Mind boggling.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This. The point is if he was physically capable of playing on it in the middle of the 4th quarter, he most likely was able to after the half time break. Usually any shot or treatment would have been done at that time. The cameras panned to him multiple times after half and he looked in no worse condition than when he came in the game. This response was about toughness. It has been pointed out that there are several QB's who have toughed out a broken limb and finished a game. I'm not saying Kyler should have done that but there are several QB's in the league that would have come back into that game a lot sooner given the circumstances.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. The point is if he was physically capable of playing on it in the middle of the 4th quarter, he most likely was able to after the half time break. Usually any shot or treatment would have been done at that time. The cameras panned to him multiple times after half and he looked in no worse condition than when he came in the game. This response was about toughness. It has been pointed out that there are several QB's who have toughed out a broken limb and finished a game. I'm not saying Kyler should have done that but there are several QB's in the league that would have come back into that game a lot sooner given the circumstances.

Again, you are just using conjecture with no hard proof. Good for you.

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score

And not only did he come back, he ran the ball. He definitely looked like he could have come back earlier, but I won't pass judgment since I'm not sure who's decision it was to keep him out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson