NFL's Black Monday

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I’d like A-Dub as GM and Anthony Lynn as HC in AZ. I know Chargers lost 16 games last two seasons by a TD or less, but I think it was just bad luck and tons of injuries.
I agree, even if it ends up being someone like Adub. A "new set of eyes" even though he is already in the organization. Keim has run his course here, and the overall resume is so-so. I'm sure he will get a shot with another team in a year or two...but he's not an elite GM that is irreplaceable.

Adub is a HOF level player, still young, had a very well known toughness about him, and seemingly gets along well with MB.

Let him have a shot. IMO almost anything is better than a lame duck year with a GM and HC who are likely to get fired. I just don't see it. Its a waste.
A-Dub would be a really poor choice, and not because I don't like him. We haven't had someone at GM that hasn't been a part of a continuous front office staff begun by Bob Ferguson in 1996.

We need a personnel guy that hasn't just been learning in the same environment/operating procedure with some tweaks for the past 25 years.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A-Dub would be a really poor choice, and not because I don't like him. We haven't had someone at GM that hasn't been a part of a continuous front office staff begun by Bob Ferguson in 1996.

We need a personnel guy that hasn't just been learning in the same environment/operating procedure with some tweaks for the past 25 years.

I agree my personal choice would be an organizational outsider, I just don't think its likely.

If MB wants to have a pretty close relationship with the GM...then he is going to pick someone he knows. Adub would be better than sticking with Keim IMO.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

This. You just don’t keep going to the well that keeps producing stale water.

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
So kilff is basically the Caucasian version of Lynn

LOL But, yeah, they make a lot of the same mistakes. Bad use of timeouts, questionable play calls (assuming Lynn was part of that in LA), bad clock management at the end of games, lack of creativity on both sides, etc.

Ragnar

Veteran
Reaction score
No disrespect, but you needed to actually WATCH the Chargers. Most all of those losses were bad clock management, bad play calls, and generally bad coaching, all combined in some fashion. The players love Anthony Lynn, but he's NOT a good game HC.
Ahhhh,sounds like something the Cards already have!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The best team there and the one any HC should want is the Chargers.

A young QB that's shown massive promise. Good RB's. Improved O line. Good receivers. And a defense that was hampered by injuries last year but with a lot of good players.

High draft picks to improve further and very low fan expectations.

Dream job for any HC wannabe.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Been saying the same for years, but it's clear A-Dub is going to be the guy. Not just because it's clear he is being groomed, but because it's also Mike B's way of working.

And let's be honest, I like Mike as an owner, but for me he likes to be involved too much. The reason he hires internal guys is because they expect him involvement.

When you don't know if your owner hired the HC or the GM then you owner is too involved.

My opinion is that owners should stick to the business side and never be involved in football operations. Because if they are, and they aren't great at it, then the team will always be mediocre, and the blame keeps getting shifted onto GM's when it's actually them.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The best team there and the one and HC should want is the Chargers.

A young QB that's shown massive promise. Good RB's. Improved O line. Good receivers. And a defense that was hampered by injuries last year but with a lot of good players.

High draft picks to improve further and very low fan expectations.

Dream job for any HC wannabe.

I usually disagree with you about a lot of stuff, but I'm 100% with you here.

I think the Front Office and ownership is dysfunctional, which would be a big obstacle for someone who doesn't bring a strong program in with them. Just as an example of how awful this is, GM Tom Telesco's Bio hasn't been updated in at least two years:

With a keen eye for acquiring talented players, Tom Telesco serves his sixth season as General Manager of the Chargers in 2018.

Telesco was hired by the Chargers in January 2013. Forty-years-old at the time of his hiring, he became the youngest general manager in team history. Telesco immediately helped the Chargers return to the playoffs in 2013 with a roster that featured 25 players who joined the team prior to or during the season.

Why would a team with this kind of eye for detail fall short in pressure situations?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Been saying the same for years, but it's clear A-Dub is going to be the guy. Not just because it's clear he is being groomed, but because it's also Mike B's way of working.

yep-- possibly Quentin Harris rather than A Dub

i think its both involvement with Mike B, but also familiarity

he isnt a guy who wants to bring somebody into the building he doesnt really know for a while

HGC

All Star
Reaction score

And let's be honest, I like Mike as an owner, but for me he likes to be involved too much. The reason he hires internal guys is because they expect him involvement.

When you don't know if your owner hired the HC or the GM then you owner is too involved.

My opinion is that owners should stick to the business side and never be involved in football operations. Because if they are, and they aren't great at it, then the team will always be mediocre, and the blame keeps getting shifted onto GM's when it's actually them.

Teams with meddling owners are perennial losers. Sadly it’s become quite clear over the years that Bidwill falls into that category. I still think Keim’s time has run its course but very little will change with the transition to another in house yes man.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Chargers’ roster the past 5 years is one of the most overrated things I have witnessed.