Under-examined embarrassment from Sunday?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard the announcers say that but didn't see anything about it

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Did I hallucinate the story that Streveler wasn’t told that Murray was coming back into the game? I mean, there are like 50 coaches on the field; surely one of them coulda let the bad QB know the hurt QB was coming back in.
Yea he tried to go on the field, but then Kyler trotted onto there as well. How the hell does that happen?

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The sideline reporter mentioned it at the time. Said Streveler was asking "Am I in? Am I in?" repeatedly. Seemed like a fubar all around on the sideline. No mention if KM put himself in or what really transpired.

As Ron said, is it really surprising?

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Pretty much sums up this entire team but this is Mikey B's blunder, keeping Kiem way too long down to hiring what amounts to a HS football coach so situations like this shouldn't surprise anyone, in all actuality it should be expected lol

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think this is where Kliff needs to coach up Kyler and there needs to be better communication all around. Kliff doesn't need to gibe the ok, but he needs to know from someone that Kyler is ready to go back in. Kyler also has a responsibility to others to let them know as well.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Is it really surprising, that the same team that calls a read option in 3rd and 18, with the season on the line and an injured QB...coming out of a timeout...would bungle a player swap?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will never understand this play call, nor will I ever forgive Kliff for it. Our weak ass media should have grilled him over it. Instead we have guys like wienfuss who ask questions like how has DHop affected the teams fashion game

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is it really surprising, that the same team that calls a read option in 3rd and 18, with the season on the line and an injured QB...coming out of a timeout...would bungle a player swap?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kliff needs to be out of here that pitch play was the stupidest thing

Take shot throw it down field wtf cards get hop for....

Soooo embarrassed to be a cards fan now

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wonder how much of that mix up was the pain meds. I can see a situation where the meds hit just right and Kyler runs on without telling anyone. If he was anywhere near as loaded up as Aaron Rodgers was last time he played hurt then that could be it.

but yeah that’s when I knew it was over tbh. The team was a disorganized undisciplined disaster the enter game and that was the cherry on top.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
with the way Murray played and even scrambled, I'm a bit confused on why he did not go in sooner than he did.

It's beyond maddening. If he's healthy enough for two called running plays, why in the hell didn't he come in when the game still was in reach?

Even more, why the hell do you have a backup qb who is essentially a gimmick player?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's beyond maddening. If he's healthy enough for two called running plays, why in the hell didn't he come in when the game still was in reach?

Even more, why the hell do you have a backup qb who is essentially a gimmick player?

They semi explained this Kyler went through a series of tests. They taped the ankle, couldn't push off it, back again they took an xray apparently, they then re taped the ankle. He said he was waiting on things to kick in and loosen up which makes it pretty likely they put him on something for the pain and were waiting, either for him to get it numb enough to play, or for him to come down enough off the initial painkiller whatever it was to function. When I blew out my knee and they gave me a shot to allow them to straighten the leg out didn't feel a thing, and I couldn't have played sandlot football let alone NFL I couldn't function at all due to the shot. I have no idea what Kyler got it it's entirely possible it took time to get him back to ok he's not in pain AND he can think and function.

I would add they were also probably waiting to see how the game went, if they fell way behind no point putting him in, if it stays relatively close maybe he can come back and win the game. One drive earlier would have been nice but we have no idea clearly Kliff didn't know he was ready to go so it's not like they were asking him to play and he said no, they didn't think he could

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
They semi explained this Kyler went through a series of tests. They taped the ankle, couldn't push off it, back again they took an xray apparently, they then re taped the ankle. He said he was waiting on things to kick in and loosen up which makes it pretty likely they put him on something for the pain and were waiting, either for him to get it numb enough to play, or for him to come down enough off the initial painkiller whatever it was to function. When I blew out my knee and they gave me a shot to allow them to straighten the leg out didn't feel a thing, and I couldn't have played sandlot football let alone NFL I couldn't function at all due to the shot. I have no idea what Kyler got it it's entirely possible it took time to get him back to ok he's not in pain AND he can think and function.

I would add they were also probably waiting to see how the game went, if they fell way behind no point putting him in, if it stays relatively close maybe he can come back and win the game. One drive earlier would have been nice but we have no idea clearly Kliff didn't know he was ready to go so it's not like they were asking him to play and he said no, they didn't think he could

I've heard the explanation, but nothing explains why you would call a run play (let alone 2!) when it was clear that he was hobbled.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I've heard the explanation, but nothing explains why you would call a run play (let alone 2!) when it was clear that he was hobbled.

Those plays could honestly be what Murray was most frustrated about during the postgame presser, too. I could see him asking those same questions about why those dumb plays were called, when they know he's hurt.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Those plays could honestly be what Murray was most frustrated about during the postgame presser, too. I could see him asking those same questions about why those dumb plays were called, when they know he's hurt.
He could have changed them. I mean Wilson went rouge. So if he didn't like it call something different. Unless you're trying get get him fired.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
He could have changed them. I mean Wilson went rouge. So if he didn't like it call something different. Unless you're trying get get him fired.

I honestly don't know how much audible freedom Murray has, to be honest. I've questioned that for 2 years. Because if he did have autonomy, he'd surely know to audible out of so many of the dumb behind the LOS plays, that never had success. With Murray, I don't even think he gets the 2 runs and 1 pass play, the way a lot of QB's do, called into his helmet.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I honestly don't know how much audible freedom Murray has, to be honest. I've questioned that for 2 years. Because if he did have autonomy, he'd surely know to audible out of so many of the dumb behind the LOS plays, that never had success. With Murray, I don't even think he gets the 2 runs and 1 pass play, the way a lot of QB's do, called into his helmet.
since we get the vibe that the WR/TE/RB and QB aren't always on the same page, OL neither, an audible isn't probably helping at all or even possible since you need a new huddle to explain everyone what you want to do ...

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
since we get the vibe that the WR/TE/RB and QB aren't always on the same page, OL neither, an audible isn't probably helping at all or even possible since you need a new huddle to explain everyone what you want to do ...

Agree...something is just lost and/or fundamentally off with the playcalling.