Missed game only saw highlights comments

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no idea why D Hop is still contending that was a bad OPI call, yes the guy was probably off balance but he literally grabbed him and threw him aside. Has to be OPI. And the flip the ref off just compounded it. Great player, bad play.

Now for the whines, and again just from highlights so I have no idea what the announcers or fans said I have the game recorded will probably watch.

The no call in the endzone was terrible, that's not only PI on Ramsey, it's PI on the DB in front too he collided with D Hop first and then as Dhop is trying to get to the ball Ramsey comes over him and you can see there's contact he didn't just glide over the top like superman, he committed a penalty.

I've only seen one angle on the safety it looks to me like if anything it should have been offsetting play over because the guy Pugh held, hit Pugh in the facemask. I can't tell from the angle I saw(NFL.com) which came first the hold or the contact to the face but they both happened and I'm not aware of there being a rule that if you're being held, you're allowed to make contact to the face so I'm not understanding why that was not offsetting?

And now my big whine, again I've only seen one angle and I'll link to a site(Cards site) that agrees with, #52 on the Rams was offsides on that play, it should have been no TD 5 yard penalty Cards ball at teh 35 yard line? For weeks now we've been getting false starts on plays like that for the lineman jumping and pointing at the guy, so this time the OL did it perfectly, Streveler got the guy to jump, we snapped the ball before he got back (again I think) and we didn't get the call again. It's entirely possible, as they speculate in the link, that Streveler thought he had a free play and that's why he threw the ball into coverage like that. Or it was just a dumb play but again, they were offsides?

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2021/01/rams-cardinals-interception-pick-6-penalty-missed-offsides-video

I didn't see the score until after it was over, once I realized Kyler got hurt early it made sense.

Going back to the play in the endzone if they call PI there, 1st and goal from 1 chance to get it 18-14 or 18-15 if we go for 2 and get it, or 13 if we miss. My gut tells me the refs didn't miss TWO pi's on the same play they were just not going to call PI for the guy who flipped off a ref earlier. To be fair, they probably could have tossed D Hop for that, but still they let him stay in the game, he was interfered with, call it.

Frustrating year but I do feel like there are lots of positives to build on, we need to make a decision on Kliff is he the guy, does he need a playcaller or someone to design schemes I don't know. I'm not a Vance fan but we had so many injuries to run stoppers and key guys it's hard for me to say the run defense sucked just because of him.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW Streveler confirms he thought he had a free play on the picksix.

“Had a hard count, thought we got them to jump, thought we had a free play,” Streveler said.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was still a bad play by Streveler

Oh absolutely if the guy who picked it doesn't get it another guy might. But the guy was offsides. The link I posted has a pic of the guy across the line with the ball snapped, the thing you have to realize if he was backing up at the point that pic was snapped, he jumped, and then moved backwards, so he's clearly offsides if that pic isn't just deceptive angle.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

“Had a hard count, thought we got them to jump, thought we had a free play,” Streveler said.
Meh, you have to KNOW you’ve got the call your way if you’re going to be so careless with the ball in that game at that juncture. But stupid carelessness is on point for kk cardinals.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Kyler doesn’t even get those offsides calls. Streveler has zero clout and will not get a call like that. Rodgers is the only one I see get that free play often, shoot everytine Kyler got people to jump they blow the damn play dead it was maddening all year!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So he throws the ball into quadruple coverage ten yards behind his WR?

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So he throws the ball into quadruple coverage ten yards behind his WR?

Oh terrible throw again if 24 doesn't pick it, 31 would have. I fully get that, but if you read what he said they are coached to do that, draw them offsides and when they jump, snap the ball. It has been a theme with this team all year we either rise up and point and they call a false start, or they throw the flag and then stop the play denying us the free play. Sunday, they just didn't call it and Streveler made a terrible play.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
we need to make a decision on Kliff is he the guy, does he need a playcaller or someone to design schemes I don't know.

This is not a jab at you Russ by no means, I like most of your posts, but multiple people are saying or asking do we need to do this and it drives me crazy. Kingsbury was hired on the premise that he was some type of offensive guru or genius. Now we are talking about bringing in coaches to help him design plays, schemes and play calling? If he needs that much help, why is he even here? If he needs help in these areas then he's useless because he sure isn't a good HC.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is not a jab at you Russ by no means, I like most of your posts, but multiple people are saying or asking do we need to do this and it drives me crazy. Kingsbury was hired on the premise that he was some type of offensive guru or genius. Now we are talking about bringing in coaches to help him design plays, schemes and play calling? If he needs that much help, why is he even here? If he needs help in these areas then he's useless because he sure isn't a good HC.

Totally understand I guess the argument is maybe the reason he's struggling with discipline and clock management is because he's so involved in the play calls and other stuff, he is missing bigger picture things? We can argue that should mean he shouldn't be coach and I'm not sure that's incorrect, I'm just of the opinion right now it's unlikely he's going to be fired due to money, so we should be looking at what we can do to help him succeed. If it were me I'd strongly consider a coaching change, I just don't see us doing that now so I think we ought to be looking into ways to improve the current situation and that might include someone to help him do the playcalling aspect so he has less on his plate and it allows him to focus on the bigger stuff.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

I would think as a QB he has to see the flags flying to know he has a free play. If he doesn't see fllags then he must protect the ball. Throw it deep enough where only his guy can get to it.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Totally understand I guess the argument is maybe the reason he's struggling with discipline and clock management is because he's so involved in the play calls and other stuff, he is missing bigger picture things? We can argue that should mean he shouldn't be coach and I'm not sure that's incorrect, I'm just of the opinion right now it's unlikely he's going to be fired due to money, so we should be looking at what we can do to help him succeed. If it were me I'd strongly consider a coaching change, I just don't see us doing that now so I think we ought to be looking into ways to improve the current situation and that might include someone to help him do the playcalling aspect so he has less on his plate and it allows him to focus on the bigger stuff.

Agree, Kingsbury is going nowhere for now and money is definitely why. I guess where we differ is I don't think his strength is in the bigger picture area. I think that's why he failed at Texas Tech. Now, this is my gut feeling and I have no proof but I feel Kingsbury likes the title of HC but doesn't really like the duties that go with it and would much rather spend his time playing OC to the detriment of the duties of being the HC and more of the mundane tasks that may go with being a HC or don't catch his interests as much.

Unless Keim directly orders him to hand over certain responsibilities over to another coach and spend more of his time addressing his responsibilities as a HC it will not happen and actually may create a lot of friction within the coaching staff if he is force to do so. It feels like a backward solution to the problem by adding another coach in a OC capacity when the team really needs a HC.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree, Kingsbury is going nowhere for now and money is definitely why. I guess where we differ is I don't think his strength is in the bigger picture area. I think that's why he failed at Texas Tech. Now, this is my gut feeling and I have no proof but I feel Kingsbury likes the title of HC but doesn't really like the duties that go with it and would much rather spend his time playing OC to the detriment of the duties of being the HC and more of the mundane tasks that may go with being a HC or don't catch his interests as much.

Unless Keim directly orders him to hand over certain responsibilities over to another coach and spend more of his time addressing his responsibilities as a HC it will not happen and actually may create a lot of friction within the coaching staff if he is force to do so. It feels like a backward solution to the problem by adding another coach in a OC capacity when the team really needs a HC.

But then you're in the as has been said, why is he the HC? I think the delay of games are a perfect example, Kyler is a young QB often waiting on plays to come in and then getting everyone lined up. We've seen Kliff have to call TO several times, people here blame Kyler but often the problem is the playcaller, who is Kliff. So he's calling TO because he took too long to get the play to Kyler. Where if Joe Public is the playcaller, Kliff can focus on the clock and other stuff. I'm not sure that's his strength either to be clear.

I would add, I think Kliff would look a heck of a lot better if we had better WR's, we need better schemes too but there's just not enough talent at WR beyond D Hop right now. Kyler will be better too he might not lock on to the primary guy as often if there were reason to believe someone else would be open, and catch the ball. I do think Arnold has a future with us, he's been spotty but when healthy he can get open and despite some recent drops, I think he has pretty good hands. Kyler just loves the guy. Obviously D HOp. if there's no long term issues I would keep Kirk. But we need help. I think you can win with Johnson as your 5th guy, occasionally 4th, but not with him as your 3rd or 2nd as he was on Sunday. I love Fitz, if he wants to come back great, but less salary and he can't be our 2nd best WR, although he really wasn't this year Kirk was.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson