Arizona Cardinals offseason news for the week of Jan 4 2021

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

im a numbers guy, and prefer to rely on data vs "feel"

but that defensive ranking just doesnt match up with what i watched...

would love to see how that varied game to game vs other top 10 defenses.

also: while the Rams final stats yesterday probably werent all that good on balance, yesterday didnt strike me as a good defensive performance

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So disappointed. Was hoping to login and see VJ had been canned... now I don’t think it will happen :(

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

also: while the Rams final stats yesterday probably werent all that good on balance, yesterday didnt strike me as a good defensive performance
It was vs a soft QB schedule. That is what has the numbers twisted.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The D stats don't match what I saw either. I will give them credit for still getting pressure after Jones went down. What I saw was a team easily fooled with any type of misdirection play and a very poor tackling unit.

13th in yards allowed per game. 12th in PPG. 12th in 3rd down percentage. 4th in sacks. Tied for 14th in turnovers.

I think the reason why the defense didn’t seem all that good was the NFL had its highest scoring season of all time. We were a bend don’t break type of defense and usually didn’t force a punt until the opponent reached our territory. We weren’t much of an opportunistic defense either. Being 4th in sacks, I’d expect to see more turnovers forced.

Overall the defense improved from start to finish and gave us a fighting shot the last few weeks to make the playoffs. Vance Joseph is probably the best coach on this team, IMO, if that’s worth anything.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
13th in yards allowed per game. 12th in PPG. 12th in 3rd down percentage. 4th in sacks. Tied for 14th in turnovers.

I think the reason why the defense didn’t seem all that good was the NFL had its highest scoring season of all time. We were a bend don’t break type of defense and usually didn’t force a punt until the opponent reached our territory. We weren’t much of an opportunistic defense either. Being 4th in sacks, I’d expect to see more turnovers forced.

Overall the defense improved from start to finish and gave us a fighting shot the last few weeks to make the playoffs. Vance Joseph is probably the best coach on this team, IMO, if that’s worth anything.
CJ Beathard
Teddy Bridgewater
Dwayne Haskins
John Wolford
Jimmy G
Jared Goff
Extremely washed Cam Newton
Joe Flacco
Daniel Jones
Jalen Hurts
Andy Dalton
Tua

That’s a sad list of QBs.

Funny enough, Tua, Teddy, CJ, & Wolford all looked like All-Pros versus the defense. Tua, Jalen, & Teddy had their BEST games of the season against US. That was Tua’s only great game this as well.

Goff shredded us while looking like hot trash versus everyone else, per usual.

Those stats are fools gold.

Reaction score

I think we were good enough defensively yesterday. Offense on the other hand leaved little to be desired. I think Kyler came off as weak & should have played more but I could be wrong. I also think Kliff made a mistake in not activating Hundley. We don't know what he saw in practice though.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we were good enough defensively yesterday. Offense on the other hand leaved little to be desired. I think Kyler came off as weak & should have played more but I could be wrong. I also think Kliff made a mistake in not activating Hundley. We don't know what he saw in practice though.
He has something in one of his eyes, don't think he has a good sight

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
CJ Beathard
Teddy Bridgewater
Dwayne Haskins
John Wolford
Jimmy G
Jared Goff
Joe Flacco
Daniel Jones
Jalen Hurts
Andy Dalton
Tua

Funny enough, Tua, Teddy, CJ, & Wolford all looked like All-Pros versus the defense. Tua, Jalen, & Teddy had their BEST games of the season against US. That was Tua’s only great game this as well.

You’re right that’s a sad list of QBs, but the Cardinals aren’t going to apologize for who they play. I only listed what their ranking was for each major defensive category. When going through the list, the casual fan isn’t going to discount the Cardinals defense for playing a poor group of of QBs. The Rams faced a similar group on their way to #1. Want to discredit them too? They faced Dak, Nick Mullens, Carson Wentz, and Chris Streveler as well as the ones you mentioned. FWIW we finished 10th in pass yards allowed per game 14th in passing TDs allowed and 7th in rushing TDs.

Last season we were bottom 10 in every statistical category I just mentioned.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

It’s why pure data and data alone is never enough to tell the whole story. It has an important part of analysis but anyone depending solely on it make decisions or make arguments doesn’t get the full picture.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In addition to Reddick and Golden, I'd keep Peterson at a reasonable number...maybe 6-8 million per year. We wasted free agent money last year on Kennard, Phillips, and Drake. Keim's free agent signings last year were really bad. We got some value from Kirkpatrick and Beachum, but they were last minute fill-ins, not our original free agent targets. Our pro player talent evaluation stinks.

lol people are a glutton for punishment

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess Im against them? Of course DJ Humphries wants a coach that doesn't call out players. When he had a real coach he was called out on a regular basis.

Yeah! Not being called out has made a Hell of a difference:

2020 PFF grade: 88.3 (1129 snaps) fifth-highest mark among offensive tackles. Humphries allowed three sacks in 695 pass-blocking snaps, per PFF, and had a run-blocking grade of 90.8, which was third-best among tackles.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
CJ Beathard
Teddy Bridgewater
Dwayne Haskins
John Wolford
Jimmy G
Jared Goff
Joe Flacco
Daniel Jones
Jalen Hurts
Andy Dalton
Tua

Looking at that list it's crazy that we were lucky to play against so many backup QB's this year and we failed to capitalize on most. Just shows how truly awful the coaching staff was at game planning to capitalize on these opportunities.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score

2020 PFF grade: 88.3 (1129 snaps) fifth-highest mark among offensive tackles. Humphries allowed three sacks in 695 pass-blocking snaps, per PFF, and had a run-blocking grade of 90.8, which was third-best among tackles.

He's been trending upwards to be a top LT. I think this reflects Kuglers work with him.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

He had the best season of his career this year for sure. Last year he only "gave up 2 sacks", but his overall play wasnt as good.

Im glad he has become a 1st round, highly paid caliber LT. I hope it continues as long as he is here. I personally would not have resigned him, but if continues to play well then I will have been wrong for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA