Clippers @ Suns Sunday game thread 1-3-2021

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton settles in once he figures out pick-and-roll coverage.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty says the Suns have a team that won't quit.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
George hit some incredible shots from 3 and was ultimately the difference maker. Ayton in particular got 'abused' but I thought he did a decent job of going up and contesting without fouling. PG was just a little bit better.

And while Booker wasn't a stopper, I thought he did a pretty decent job defensively. He had a nice strip on Kawhi on the drive, played good defense without fouling when he was posted up and had some good boxouts and rebounds.

Good grit to get it back to a manageable deficit but just couldn't quite get over the hump. LAC's role players made shots, Suns' didn't.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Bridges/Cam/Jae 4/19 getting almost all clean looks isn’t going to happen much. Teams shooting 17/29 from 3 will happen almost never.
This was painfully obvious. Our shooters just couldn’t hit. Cam Johnson had the best looks and couldn’t buy a bucket.

impressive comeback, but just can’t get down that far. 31 is an absurd deficit. Bummer of a loss, but we aren’t truly the best team in the nba and we are going to have some losses. No shame in losing this game. Just a bummer.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
So I missed this one but from the looks of it..... We dug a hole we couldn’t escape from and our shooting was off most of the night.

I’m glad to know these kids have fight in them.

now..... on to my one question.

how do two players play less than 4 minutes and both end up with a -19?

Damn.....that’s bad.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I still can’t figure out why Book isn’t a better 3pt shooter. His mechanics are perfect.
It is really odd. It’s what everyone expected him to be and his three point contest showings would seem to indicate it’s a strength. But it’s just not for him. He’s not a bad 3 point shooter, just not as good as would be expected.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So I missed this one but from the looks of it..... We dug a hole we couldn’t escape from and our shooting was off most of the night.

Damn.....that’s bad.
That’s how fast they blitzed us.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Aytons defense is getting better. He’s also getting more respect from the refs. He didn’t pick up any cheap fouls.

once again I’m not happy with substitution patterns. I understand we were trying to win again but at what expense. We didn’t run that second unit like we usually do with Saric, Payne, Cam and maybe Carter.
Hard to do though since Carter was ineffective and Cam was off. Saric had a bit of a match up problem too.

First quarter they just moved the ball around and had us scrambling.

tough match up overall. I think we win if we play tomorrow again.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good effort by suns against a great team

To bad that booker 3 to tie failed.... but he and paul played wel

Still think suns are a talented team enough for a poff run

Let's go vs Raptors

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Damn.....that’s bad.

It's hard to beat any team when they shoot 58.6% from 3-point range. Clippers couldn't miss inside or out in the first half.

Suns dug a hole but didn't have enough energy to climb back out completely. Suns could have used more from their forwards and bench guards.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The comeback was incredible in the late 2nd and 3rd quarters. I actually thought they would pull it out.

I really is something different to watch the way these basketball games are played anymore. The whole first half was just guys standing at the 3 point arc and hoisting up as fast as they can, on both sides. Nobody wants to play in the paint at all. The difference was that we couldn't buy a shot in the first half and the Clips couldn't miss if they tried.

And with all the 3's being chucked up, it's maddening to watch the whole floor just become spectators. Nobody ever crashes down to pick up an offensive rebound. No one moves at all, everyone just watches the ball float off into the distance every time. Five guys standing behind the arc standing still.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
There was a six minute stretch between baskets in the 4th qtr that just killed us. Like EJ said early on in the game, just try and stay close. 31 points was just a little too much!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's hard to beat any team when they shoot 58.6% from 3-point range. Clippers couldn't miss inside or out in the first half.

Suns dug a hole but didn't have enough energy to climb back out completely. Suns could have used more from their forwards and bench guards.
I didn't get a chance to watch this game. Were the Suns just not defending the 3 or were the Clips just shooting out of their minds? I assume its primarily the latter. Even undefendend teams don't shoot that well.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I didn't get a chance to watch this game. Were the Suns just not defending the 3 or were the Clips just shooting out of their minds? I assume its primarily the latter. Even undefendend teams don't shoot that well.
More the latter. Paul George in particular was draining tough contested 3s.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In the first half the Clippers couldn't miss. They were shooting out of their minds. It didn't help the Suns came out flat. Once a team gets going like that they are hard to stop.

George and Bantum were unconscious from 3-point range and Kennard kept up the shooting from the bench. When the Suns finally came around in the second half, it appeared they ran out of gas. Booker played the entire second half. The Suns played better second half defense and the Clippers came back down to earth.

It is crazy to think that a team can hit 58.6% from three during a game. Hard to beat a team like that on a given night.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I am on the Clips, and I see we shot 60% from three and only won by 5, that would scare me. I would not have confidence about the next meeting with this team.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
As a matter of fact the Suns contested 23 of the Clippers 29 attempts (contested 79.3% of attempts) and that is a really good percentage.

Seems like it just came down to mostly bad luck that the Clippers were just so hot from behind the arc.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave